Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How long from city center to LCY?

How long from city center to LCY?

Old Nov 4, 19, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Question How long from city center to LCY?

Hello! I have a flight from london to zurich (on swiss air, if that helps) departing london city airport at 1820. If I were only able to leave city center (about a 9 minute walk from holborn) at 1700, will I be able to make my flight? How long would security normally take on a Thursday afternoon? I'm probably going to take the tube to bank and then the dlr. I'm travelling with hand luggage only and will check in online.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:31 am

The official journey time from Holborn to City Airport is 31 minutes. However, there is construction work affecting the platforms at Bank which is making an already crowded station even less pleasant in the rush hour. At times, the station becomes "exit only" to enable the crowds to disperse. Given your ten minute walk to Holborn station, it'll be 45 minutes before you join the security queue at LCY. LCY has become busier and the security queue can be slow at rush hour.
Your plan will work - if absolutely everything works perfectly. You have next to no contingency for things going wrong, and given the possibility of delay at Bank and delay at the security queue, I would not be comfortable with this plan.
Don't even think of a taxi - the road journey will be considerably slower.
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
check the journey planner on www.tfl.gov.uk or the variois map apps using your actual start point - there could be a closer station that you haven't thought of

And be prepared to be flexible in case anytihng happens. Think of central line to stratford then DLR or train from Charing Cross / Blackfriars to Woolwich Arsenal then DLR

You dn't appear to have allowed for LX gate close time as well, If that's 20 minutes then you have an hour - and even less because of the time needed to clear security. And don't expect people let you jump the queue

Search this Thread
Search Engine: