FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Train/bus from Belfast to Dublin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1988695-train-bus-belfast-dublin.html)

Nayef Sep 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Train/bus from Belfast to Dublin

Hello,

Part of our upcoming trip involves a one-way trip from Belfast to Dublin, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on the best train or bus service for it. Which of them allow you to reserve specific seats? Plus, we'll be lugging a 29-inch suitcase and I'd like to know which service would make that easier.

Thanks in advance!

jt82 Sep 25, 2019 1:22 am

Don't know it from personal experience but I'd just go for the train - check out seat61's Ireland page, it's got details of the Belfast-Dublin services, it seems reasonably enough priced if you know when you're going

antichef Sep 25, 2019 2:06 am

Both will get you there, the issue may be where you are starting and finishing from as you have luggage to cart to/from the respective bus and train stations at each end. The buses have reserved seats, but not specific seats I think, if that completes your decision.
https://secure.translink.co.uk/Buy-O...Ticket/Step-1/

I am not sure you can reserve specific seats on the trains either. Just tried a dummy booking and could not get a seat reservation at all.
https://www.translink.co.uk/

As I said, it depends where you are going. If Dublin city I prefer train, if DUB airport, bus every time.

Nayef Sep 25, 2019 5:46 am

We're headed into the city itself not the airport. I read that Aircoach's buses are good and can guarantee you a seat, but it may be a hassle in terms of luggage.

I emailed Translink and they said the following:

You may reserve seats by booking Enterprise Plus, generally there is generous space on the Enterprise for luggage (on busier services a fair use policy might apply).

noniron Sep 25, 2019 7:19 am

The train, city centre to city centre is my preferred way to go when using public transport, seat reservations are not something to be too concerned about as the trains are rarely at capacity unless there is a major sporting event on such as International Rugby or a GAA final.
Space on board is reasonable for your case and the Enterpise Plus fare that you are referring to is their version of First, slightly bigger seat with in seat dining options to purchase.

MickV Sep 26, 2019 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31560522)
Hello,

Part of our upcoming trip involves a one-way trip from Belfast to Dublin, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on the best train or bus service for it. Which of them allow you to reserve specific seats? Plus, we'll be lugging a 29-inch suitcase and I'd like to know which service would make that easier.

Thanks in advance!

Hello
Are you travelling from Dublin City centre or from the airport?
If the airport your best choice is aircoach. they leave every hour. and drops you off in the city centre. I dont think you can reserve seats but you can book tickets.
If from dublin city centre the train is much more enjoyable and takes in a fantastic coastal route. It does drop you off in central station which isnt actually that central.
Where are you staying in belfast and I can let you know the best option.

antichef Sep 26, 2019 8:50 am

MickV,

You have the journey the wrong way round!

NickB Sep 26, 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by antichef (Post 31565920)
MickV,

You have the journey the wrong way round!

... and the OP has also said that he is headed towards the City rather than the airport. I think noniron's earlier post reflects the predominant consensus that, if traveling to/from Dublin City Centre rather than Dublin airport. the train is a nicer ride than the bus.

kathkiwi Sep 27, 2019 10:26 pm

We took Air Coach route 705X from Glenfell Street in Belfast to O'Connell Street, Dublin because we figured bus would be somewhat more scenic. It was a very attractive ride. Modern coach bus, big windows. It was also easier to access the bus - just walked around the corner from the Europa Hotel. Drop off in Dublin is central, and was 1 min walk from the Best Western Academy, so it was very easy at both points to deal with bags.

:D! Sep 27, 2019 11:32 pm

I took the train last summer, and because my journey was Dublin-Belfast-Dublin I had to book via Irish Rail, paying substantially more than booking Belfast-Dublin-Belfast through Translink NI, even at the cheapest advance booking price.

I know that in the northbound direction I wanted to reserve a seat on the right hand side, both to see the sea, and to not have the afternoon sun shining in my face. I also dislike sitting backwards.

There was a seat map to choose a specific seat, but I cannot remember if it specified the direction of the train or I had to guess. Anyway, if it did specify it it was wrong, and I got a backward seat facing inland and the afternoon sun. Furthermore, the seat was occupied by someone else and they showed me their ticket with that seat number! As I didn't want that seat in any case I didn't take this any further. On the return I just sat where I liked. My tickets were not checked in either direction.

I did have a valid Leap Visitor card to pass through the barriers at Connolly.

DCA writer Jul 22, 2023 11:47 am

My family and I took the Enterprise train from Dublin Connolly to Belfast Lanyon and back last week for a day trip. The ride was good overall--the views of the coast really are lovely, especially with the end of hours of rain treating us to a bit of a rainbow on the ride back to Dublin. We arrived in Belfast maybe 10 minutes late, which isn't much except that it meant we just missed the train to the Titanic Quarter (free with an Enterprise ticket) and had to wait another 15 minutes or so for the next one. The Enterprise train to Dublin also left slightly late, but we didn't have any schedule constraints in Dublin to worry about.

On the way up, I had to book Enterprise Plus instead of coach after (ahem) we slept late and missed the 9:30 a.m. train, then realized coach was sold out. In case anybody's curious about the paid food options there, and which aren't available in coach, see below for photos of the menus. Note what isn't listed on them: what times breakfast and lunch/dinner are served. I expected that our 11:20 a.m. departure from Dublin would have lunch, so I passed on the breakfast choices and learned later on that lunch wasn't an option when I asked about that. So all I can report about the food is that the breakfast items I saw on other people's tables looked tasty enough.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...72be11a631.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...02b315101b.jpg