Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LPL to Anglesey: any good pubs along the way?

Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Hello UK & Ireland forum,

I have a trip to the Isle of Anglesey planned, I'll fly into LPL and then hire a car. Since I'll arrive in LPL around 10AM I figured that by the time I get through customs and immigration, and get the car, it'll be close to lunch time.

According to Google maps the drive should take me along the M56 and A55. Any suggestions for a pub or a nice place to stop for lunch along the way?

Additionally I couldn't find much on LPL airport: our flight back is at 16:50 on a Sunday, will getting at the airport around 14:30 be enough to have a relaxed check-in process?

Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you are hungry when you arrive, Frodsham and Helsby are nice Cheshire towns a very short detour off the M56, with pubs and cafes.

There is a local group of foody-pubs that are well managed in the north-west and north Wales area run by Brunning and Price. They are a detour off the main route, but Glasfryn and the Dinorben Arms have a country pub vibe and are well regarded. https://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/

Further along Old Colwyn or Conwy/Deganwy are pretty with good pubs and cafes.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for these suggestions!

To complete the thread I also received these suggestions: the boat house at Neston, and the fishpool Inn in Runcorn.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Just a word of warning, there is a toll bridge on the most obvious route. You normally pay online, but you can't do this in a hire car, you have to call them and pay by phone - not later than the day after crossing.
https://www.merseyflow.co.uk/how-to-pay-for-a-crossing

While the A55 is certainly the fastest route, there is probably more interesting scenery on other routes. Although you may end up admiring it from behind a tractor....

2.5 hours at LPL should be more than enough.
:D! and malmostoso like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by big_mac
Just a word of warning, there is a toll bridge on the most obvious route. You normally pay online, but you can't do this in a hire car, you have to call them and pay by phone - not later than the day after crossing.
Thank you! The need for a toll was clearly displayed at the airport car rental centre, and of course on the road itself. I did call and managed to do it without a hitch (and the kind lady on the phone taught me that there is no letter I on a UK plate, the straight lines are number 1s). I also asked if it was possible to pre-pay for my return crossing and she did it, so I don't have to deal with it at the airport on my way home.

Infuriatingly though, for a 2 toll amount they have the gall to ask 2 for an email receipt of the payment. On the phone they will only offer to give you a reference number, which at least is free of charge.

2.5 hours at LPL should be more than enough.
Perfect, thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.