Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

what's UK Costco's return/exchange policy on defective laptops? Is it the same as US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's UK Costco's return/exchange policy on defective laptops? Is it the same as US

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

what's UK Costco's return/exchange policy on defective laptops? Is it the same as US Costcos? (which is 90 days)

The airline lost my carry-on with laptop inside. Entirely my fault for agreeing to have it checked and leaving the laptop inside.

I'm at a hotel near Gatwick and there's a Costco not too far from here. I plan to go there tomorrow and get a replacement laptop. I don't know where else to buy computers, so I figure that Costco is the safest place. I have a US Costco membership card.

Also... I assume that laptops sold there will just have the standard UK plugs. I just have to get a UK-to-US plug once I'm back in the US. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
All electrical goods sold in the UK must have UK plugs. However, the laptop's keyboard will be to UK specs, not US specs which will likely cause you significant difficulties. As to Costco's policies, I haven't a clue.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Annoying, but a great opportunity to live a few days without a laptop

You can likely survive with your smartphone until you get home. And, who knows, they might find your bags.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Annoying, but a great opportunity to live a few days without a laptop

You can likely survive with your smartphone until you get home. And, who knows, they might find your bags.
good point... I'm going to save myself the hassle and just buy another one when I get home. (assuming they don't find my bag)

besides, I just realized how much more expensive laptops are in the UK..
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
besides, I just realized how much more expensive laptops are in the UK..

Right! I bought a laptop on a trip to the US: even made an excursion to Maine to get it tax-free. Regretted it because of the keyboard and other, smaller, irritations, ever since
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Right! I bought a laptop on a trip to the US: even made an excursion to Maine to get it tax-free. Regretted it because of the keyboard and other, smaller, irritations, ever since

When was Maine a sales tax free state?

I'm not bothered by the difference between US and UK keyboards... but that's probably because I use both at home or work and my fingers are used to them? (kind of like driving a car... I'm also used to both left and right-hand-drive cars because I've spent a lot of time in both types)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When was Maine a sales tax free state?

I'm not bothered by the difference between US and UK keyboards... but that's probably because I use both at home or work and my fingers are used to them? (kind of like driving a car... I'm also used to both left and right-hand-drive cars because I've spent a lot of time in both types)

Sorry. I was visiting family in Portland and they took me to the other Manchester, in New Hampshire.

That's the Manchester British Airways has the bizarre habit of offering me when I try to fly out of the REAL Manchester
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Sorry. I was visiting family in Portland and they took me to the other Manchester, in New Hampshire.

That's the Manchester British Airways has the bizarre habit of offering me when I try to fly out of the REAL Manchester
oh.. I was about to call the Maine state department of taxes and revenue to report you for sale tax evasion.(if convicted, I believe the maximum sentence requires you to eat 10 Maine lobsters within 30 minutes)

glad you cleared that up. I once auditioned for a job in Portland. I passed the preliminaries... only to find out that they were in Portland, Maine on the Atlantic coast (not the much bigger Portland in Oregon, which was 2500 miles away on the Pacific coast)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
How could they lose a laptop, if you’re never supposed to check it?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
How could they lose a laptop, if you’re never supposed to check it?
checked at the gate... my flight arrived late and I ran all the way to my connecting flight with just two minutes to spare... the gate agent said the flight was 100% full and there was no place to place my carry-on. she offered to check it all the way to my final destination(which required another connecting flight)... I didn't argue with her because I didn't want to miss the flight, so i gave her the bag and left the laptop inside.

latest update I got was that they located the bag and it was being re-routed to me... but since I probably won't be in the UK by the time it comes back, I'm need to call them to figure out where they should send the bag next.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

checked at the gate... my flight arrived late and I ran all the way to my connecting flight with just two minutes to spare... the gate agent said the flight was 100% full and there was no place to place my carry-on. she offered to check it all the way to my final destination(which required another connecting flight)... I didn't argue with her because I didn't want to miss the flight, so i gave her the bag and left the laptop inside.

latest update I got was that they located the bag and it was being re-routed to me... but since I probably won't be in the UK by the time it comes back, I'm need to call them to figure out where they should send the bag next.
Won’t a laptop bag fit underneath the seat? I don’t think airlines will cover damage or loss of most electronics.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Won’t a laptop bag fit underneath the seat? I don’t think airlines will cover damage or loss of most electronics.
the laptop was inside a Pelican waterproof hard case... I sat on it once and it didn't break.... as for loss, well... perfect excuse for me to shop for a new laptop anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a work computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.