Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

In London need about 200-300 Euros cash

In London need about 200-300 Euros cash

Old Jul 24, 19, 6:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,166
In London need about 200-300 Euros cash

Mods, please move this if there is more appropriate forum. Thank you.
In London but need 200-300 Euros for brief time in Europe. Have ATM cards (issued in Hong Kong), HSBC UK account.
What is most cost effective way to obtain 200-300 Euros?
Will ATMs in Heathrow be able to provide Euros and is that cheapest option?
Anywhere in Central London?
Many thanks.
IncyWincy is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:22 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia
Posts: 480
Better to ask on the UK destination forum, but in meantime, why not just wait & use an ATM when you first arrive in your Euro zone airport?
Bullswood is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:26 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,553
Best way is to use the ATM when you arrive in the Eurozone

There are ATMs at Heathrow which will dispense Euros at a very poor exchange rate, and of course traditional bureau de change
watersign, ajGoes and Fabo.sk like this.
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:29 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,721
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
Will ATMs in Heathrow be able to provide Euros and is that cheapest option?
Anywhere in Central London?
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
There are ATMs at Heathrow which will dispense Euros at a very poor exchange rate, and of course traditional bureau de change
Some of the Raphaels Bank ATMs in Tube stations will dispense Euros.

But like others, I would not do this unless there was some absolutely unavoidable reason for having to have cash in London. Just get it from an ATM when you get into the Eurozone.
george77300 and watersign like this.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MAN, PSP
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 80
If you really need to get cash try John Lewis - their exchange rate is normally pretty decent.
mikeyfly likes this.
Hydebear is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,497
Thomas Exchange Global or BFC Exchange on The Strand in London will give you a very decent rate.
armouredant is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:05 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,166
Many, many thanks.
IncyWincy is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol
Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,377
There is Thomas Exchange Global, but also.... Thomas Exchange (a completely separate company ). The latter gets my vote (and money !).

Excellent rates and a number of offices around town. Details here
wilsnunn likes this.
Fitch is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:23 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,166
Thank you!
I assume that for a small exchange of about 200-30 Euros there is no need to call in advance?
Also, if need a bit of Romanian Leu, one can exchange as well?
IncyWincy is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 6,794
Agreed on the great rates offered at John Lewis. And yes they do Romanian:

https://www.johnlewisfinance.com/currency.html
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
Thank you!
I assume that for a small exchange of about 200-30 Euros there is no need to call in advance?
Also, if need a bit of Romanian Leu, one can exchange as well?
With Thomas Exchange (who I use whenever I have to) you can book the transaction online to ensure you get the rate online and the rate online is often(?) better than the one in branch with booking online.
wilsnunn is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:47 am
  #12  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 20,245
Please follow this discussion as the thread moves to the UK and Ireland forum

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Prospero is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:52 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,166
Might go to John Lewis (because of proximity of where we would be), failing that Thomas Exchange.

For John Lewis, I take it that we just go to the department store after using the form from the link above.

Question : they require you to provide a card (account) from which to debit. If one has a bank account with Santander, I take it there is no handling on the part of Santander?

Thank you very much.
IncyWincy is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:10 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Beverly Hills,CA, USA
Posts: 136
Can't speak for London, but upon arriving at Manchester Airport last December decided to use atm in Airport..thought, for some reason that it would be like going to a bank, not one of the exchange kiosks which I know are awful. Took out 200 pounds, which cost me about $283 including a 2.50 or 3.00 exchange fee.

The figure bothered me, but I was too tired to figure it out...finally, when I was in Paris and used an ATM again to get euros (this time, 115 for 100, no fee) I realized that the atm in Manchester had charged me a 10% premium in addition to the fee...so I paid about $25-30 too much.

Lesson: don't exchange or retrieve any money in an airport (even an atm) unless it's an emergency.

Also, FWIW, I barely needed any cash the entire trip...maybe for the occasional street food or tip.
Artpen100 and jctech like this.
manku is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:42 am
  #15  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,845
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Can't speak for London, but upon arriving at Manchester Airport last December decided to use atm in Airport..thought, for some reason that it would be like going to a bank, not one of the exchange kiosks which I know are awful. Took out 200 pounds, which cost me about $283 including a 2.50 or 3.00 exchange fee.

The figure bothered me, but I was too tired to figure it out...finally, when I was in Paris and used an ATM again to get euros (this time, 115 for 100, no fee) I realized that the atm in Manchester had charged me a 10% premium in addition to the fee...so I paid about $25-30 too much.

Lesson: don't exchange or retrieve any money in an airport (even an atm) unless it's an emergency.

Also, FWIW, I barely needed any cash the entire trip...maybe for the occasional street food or tip.
You probably agreed to DCC, that is, the ATM asked you if you wanted to pay in USD or not. The correct answer is NO for most ATMs, but they can be sneaky.
MoreMilesPlease likes this.
:D! is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: