Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

In London need about 200-300 Euros cash

Old Jul 24, 19, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Mods, please move this if there is more appropriate forum. Thank you.
In London but need 200-300 Euros for brief time in Europe. Have ATM cards (issued in Hong Kong), HSBC UK account.
What is most cost effective way to obtain 200-300 Euros?
Will ATMs in Heathrow be able to provide Euros and is that cheapest option?
Anywhere in Central London?
Many thanks.
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:22 am

Better to ask on the UK destination forum, but in meantime, why not just wait & use an ATM when you first arrive in your Euro zone airport?
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:26 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Best way is to use the ATM when you arrive in the Eurozone

There are ATMs at Heathrow which will dispense Euros at a very poor exchange rate, and of course traditional bureau de change
watersign, ajGoes and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
Will ATMs in Heathrow be able to provide Euros and is that cheapest option?
Anywhere in Central London?
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
There are ATMs at Heathrow which will dispense Euros at a very poor exchange rate, and of course traditional bureau de change
Some of the Raphaels Bank ATMs in Tube stations will dispense Euros.

But like others, I would not do this unless there was some absolutely unavoidable reason for having to have cash in London. Just get it from an ATM when you get into the Eurozone.
george77300 and watersign like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC
If you really need to get cash try John Lewis - their exchange rate is normally pretty decent.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thomas Exchange Global or BFC Exchange on The Strand in London will give you a very decent rate.
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Many, many thanks.
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
There is Thomas Exchange Global, but also.... Thomas Exchange (a completely separate company ). The latter gets my vote (and money !).

Excellent rates and a number of offices around town. Details here
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
I assume that for a small exchange of about 200-30 Euros there is no need to call in advance?
Also, if need a bit of Romanian Leu, one can exchange as well?
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Agreed on the great rates offered at John Lewis. And yes they do Romanian:

https://www.johnlewisfinance.com/currency.html
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
Thank you!
I assume that for a small exchange of about 200-30 Euros there is no need to call in advance?
Also, if need a bit of Romanian Leu, one can exchange as well?
With Thomas Exchange (who I use whenever I have to) you can book the transaction online to ensure you get the rate online and the rate online is often(?) better than the one in branch with booking online.
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Please follow this discussion as the thread moves to the UK and Ireland forum

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Might go to John Lewis (because of proximity of where we would be), failing that Thomas Exchange.

For John Lewis, I take it that we just go to the department store after using the form from the link above.

Question : they require you to provide a card (account) from which to debit. If one has a bank account with Santander, I take it there is no handling on the part of Santander?

Thank you very much.
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:10 am

Can't speak for London, but upon arriving at Manchester Airport last December decided to use atm in Airport..thought, for some reason that it would be like going to a bank, not one of the exchange kiosks which I know are awful. Took out 200 pounds, which cost me about $283 including a 2.50 or 3.00 exchange fee.

The figure bothered me, but I was too tired to figure it out...finally, when I was in Paris and used an ATM again to get euros (this time, 115 for 100, no fee) I realized that the atm in Manchester had charged me a 10% premium in addition to the fee...so I paid about $25-30 too much.

Lesson: don't exchange or retrieve any money in an airport (even an atm) unless it's an emergency.

Also, FWIW, I barely needed any cash the entire trip...maybe for the occasional street food or tip.
Artpen100 and jctech like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Can't speak for London, but upon arriving at Manchester Airport last December decided to use atm in Airport..thought, for some reason that it would be like going to a bank, not one of the exchange kiosks which I know are awful. Took out 200 pounds, which cost me about $283 including a 2.50 or 3.00 exchange fee.

The figure bothered me, but I was too tired to figure it out...finally, when I was in Paris and used an ATM again to get euros (this time, 115 for 100, no fee) I realized that the atm in Manchester had charged me a 10% premium in addition to the fee...so I paid about $25-30 too much.

Lesson: don't exchange or retrieve any money in an airport (even an atm) unless it's an emergency.

Also, FWIW, I barely needed any cash the entire trip...maybe for the occasional street food or tip.
You probably agreed to DCC, that is, the ATM asked you if you wanted to pay in USD or not. The correct answer is NO for most ATMs, but they can be sneaky.
MoreMilesPlease likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: