Search

Plane to Train at Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:24 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by dddc
Can you get e-tickets for the GTW to whatever central London destination? Or will just using a credit/debit card with contactless payment work? What about Googlepay?
I guess you are able to get e-tickets from certain websites (not all train company websites offer e-tickets), but oyster/contactless would generally be cheaper except in limited situations - such as for railcard holders during oyster afternoon peak.

Note that e-tickets are different from m-tickets. E-tickets are a barcode that exists on the central reservation system. The barcode could be printed on paper at home, or displayed on a screen, or potentially printed on orange card at a ticket machine. Endorsements to the ticket can be added by railway staff who have the right equipment. If you lose your printed copy or your device, the ticket is still retrievable.

M-tickets exist on your device and need to be activated before travel, an internet connection may be required, and forgetting to activate is treated as having no ticket. If you lose your device the ticket is gone.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Again thank you all. I believe I have a plan. Lol

I'm going to buy an anytime ticket Gatwick to Victoria, and the 1:30 virgin train to Glasgow/return as soon as advanced fares come up. E-tickets so I won't need to go to a booth to collect.

Flying into south terminal and with no checked bags, I should probably be on an 11:30 train to Victoria. Which leaves me over an hour get to Euston. maybe a leisurely stroll around Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park.

Or if my landing is delayed by an hour and a half, I could still make it if I tube from Victoria to Euston.

And if I am delayed more than an hour and a half, my whole day is screwed anyway, and I can decide whether to pay the price of a same-day train ticket or bite the bullet and pay same day airfare and fly up on BA at 3:30.

I did have one more question though: looking on the trainline app, it would work out, timing-wise to book northbound on Virgin, and southbound on LNER, the eastern route. Would that be considered a return ticket so that an advanced fair is possible? Or would I be forced to buy an off-peak ticket? My understanding is Advance fares require a round trip.

Last edited by Daveholman; Jun 23, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Caution: I do LGW south terminal to Euston (via Victoria) every few weeks: I know exactly where to go and what to do in order to reduce travel time to a minimum. The quickest I’ve ever achieved the journey from touchdown to main concourse at Euston was 60 minutes-and that was being first off the ‘plane at a nearby gate; marching straight through immigration and jumping on the Gatwick Express as it was just about to pull out of the station: And this was before the new pedestrian ‘one way’ system at Victoria Underground station. Be very careful if you intend to wander past Buckhingham Palace; and walk around Green Park on your way to Euston just in case you get lost or there’s an unexpected delay. If you miss your 13:30 train you’ll have to buy a brand new ticket. Aim at getting to Euston as soon as possible; and in the unlikely event that you get there before 12:30, you’ll have time to pay a short visit to the British Library on the Euston Road. Any other plan IMHO is too ambitious.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, you're probably right. Better to get to the station and check in, make sure I know which platform, etc, THEN leave and wander around a bit if I have an hour or so to kill.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Daveholman
My understanding is Advance fares require a round trip.
Not so. In fact, I don’t even know if you can get an advance return, or whether that would just be two advance singles sold together.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yeah, you're probably right. Better to get to the station and check in, make sure I know which platform, etc, THEN leave and wander around a bit if I have an hour or so to kill.
No check-in required! Just get on the train.

Also, platform announcements at Euston are infuriatingly late (often only 10 minutes or so before departure). The website realtimetrains will give you the platform info before that, but is obviously subject to change.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

No check-in required! Just get on the train.
I meant that figuratively. I've been to Victoria Station and some others, but never Euston. So, from the tube I'll take a walk up (I think) to the train platforms, get the lay of the land, THEN out to the street to see some sights...the British Library, for instance. It helps if I know right where to go on my way back.
i hate standing in the middle of the station, looking like a lost tourist trying to figure out where to go next. Best to get that out of the way early. lol
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Not so. In fact, I don’t even know if you can get an advance return, or whether that would just be two advance singles sold together.
Thats good to know. I'd like to take 2 different routes, see as much as possible.
I just wish they'd release the Advance fares. They are out up to Sept 13th. I'm there on the 15th.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:38 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes, Advance tickets single tickets, the heavy discount for a return journey doesn't apply (save for an obscure example).

There's no check in for most trains, and you are expected to handle your baggage yourself. There are racks, of course. Again, there are some obscure examples of high peak trains, especially around the end of university terms, where you can check in luggage to specific destinations.

​​​​​​If you're at a loose end at Euston, there's also the excellent Wellcome Collection.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Thats good to know. I'd like to take 2 different routes, see as much as possible.
I just wish they'd release the Advance fares. They are out up to Sept 13th. I'm there on the 15th.
The Trainline has a useful 'ticket alert' tool that sends you an email as soon the advance tickets become available for your specified route. https://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert
Whether you book through The Trainline, Virgin Rail (my preferred) on anyone else, always ensure that you request a seat reservation.

The Victoria Line is 'deep level', and you'll need to take three escalators up to street (main concourse) level, which may take up to 5 minutes. Don't worry about looking like a tourist. Most people will be looking up at the main board waiting for their platform number to appear.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The Victoria line is really quick but Victoria Underground station is usually very crowded and often extremely crowded in rush hour. With bags it will be nightmaish transferring from train to Tube there. If the OP has bags and is any time near rush hour I would suggest a different route.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The Victoria line is really quick but Victoria Underground station is usually very crowded and often extremely crowded in rush hour. With bags it will be nightmaish transferring from train to Tube there. If the OP has bags and is any time near rush hour I would suggest a different route.
Saturday, noon, mid-sept. I know it's always a bit busy, but I would think that's a relatively slow time. And just a duffel bag. One thing I've mastered is traveling light, for just this reason.

My first time in England, with my ex wife and another couple, we had to upgrade to a larger rental car to fit all the ladies luggage.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

So, the Trainline app alert worked. Got a message at 11pm last night, and had my ticket booked by 11:30.

Unfortunately, the train I wanted at 1:30 was £66, while 12:30 and 2:30 were only £47. 12:30 seems to ambitious (and even though I would likely make it, it would be rush rush), so I settled on getting to Glasgow at 7pm and probably missing dinner with my group. Which is okay, because I can likely get a better meal than theirs with the £19 I'm saving. Also leaves me 3.5 hours from plane to train, or a solid 2 hours to look around the Euston Station area.

I chose seat B10...window, left side, facing fwd with a power point. I assume the coastal side should have the best scenery. Also, it's next to a priority seat. Not sure if that's good or bad. And only one car back to the snack bar.

Finally, it appears from my reading there is no advantage to prebooking the Thameslink to St Pancras. They don't do e-tickets, and super off peak fares are available same day. Also I do have a PayPal contactless debit card. So my understanding is I just wait at Gatwick for the next train, tap my card and grab any open seat, yes? And then be on the right platform at Euston before 2:28 and show the barcode on my mobile to the train attendant? No ticket offices, no lines, no papers...

Once once again thanks to all of you for your help. Reading all the various websites made this look a lot more complex than it really is, I guess. Now that I've actually got it done it seems pretty straightforward.

Last edited by Daveholman; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:08 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Don't worry about getting in to Glasgow at 7. It's a late night kind of city - you'll find plenty restaurants taking bookings up until 10 or even later.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:24 pm

Finally, it appears from my reading there is no advantage to prebooking the Thameslink to St Pancras. They don't do e-tickets, and super off peak fares are available same day. Also I do have a PayPal contactless debit card. So my understanding is I just wait at Gatwick for the next train, tap my card and grab any open seat, yes? And then be on the right platform at Euston before 2:28 and show the barcode on my mobile to the train attendant? No ticket offices, no lines, no papers...
Re Thameslink from Gatwick to St Pancras - yes, using a contactless card (or contactless payment device) it's as simple as that - see this video (though only the first 30 seconds are really relevant for you).

At Euston you'll likely have to show your ticket (in whatever format it may be) before you can access the platform, as well as later showing it to the 'train manager' on board when they come round to check tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.