Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Uber as expensive as taxi in Republic of Ireland? Ride from Sneem to Portmagee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Early morning the day after we arrive in Ireland a US red-eye flight, we've got a Skellig Michael landing booking. While we'll have a car rental, and it's only a 46 minute drive from the hotel we're staying at in Sneem to Portmagee, it is of course along the Ring of Kerry. And I'm not sure anyone in my family will be up to the task (jet lag, narrow roads, little to no experience driving on the left side of the road).

I've always found Bus Eireann to have a good network but see nothing for Sneem to Portmagee and back. Some say it's about a $95 taxi ride each way. A little rich for my blood. So I looked into Uber. Evidently the Republic of Ireland has required all Uber drivers to be licensed taxi drivers as well. Doesn't that effectively negative any ride-service savings over taking a traditional taxi?

We're staying at Parknasilla. Was going to write to the concierge there to ask if there were other, less expensive transportation options to Portmagee. But I haven't found an email address yet--only a general reservations one. And yes, I know our Skellig Michael trip may get cancelled due to choppy seas.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Evidently the Republic of Ireland has required all Uber drivers to be licensed taxi drivers as well. Doesn't that effectively negative any ride-service savings over taking a traditional taxi?
Indeed. When you book an Uber in Ireland, a licensed taxi will show up.

Asking your hotel is probably the right approach. I'm sure the reservations email will forward your request to the concierge.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colm
Indeed. When you book an Uber in Ireland, a licensed taxi will show up.

Asking your hotel is probably the right approach. I'm sure the reservations email will forward your request to the concierge.
Thanks Colm. That’s a pity. Not sure why Uber bothers having a presence at all in Ireland. Because its implementation there seems to negate the chief advantage of using a ride sharing service at all—considerable cost savings over traditional taxi hires.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy

Thanks Colm. That’s a pity. Not sure why Uber bothers having a presence at all in Ireland. Because its implementation there seems to negate the chief advantage of using a ride sharing service at all—considerable cost savings over traditional taxi hires.
Not just in Ireland many European taxi drivers called foul on Uber. The licensing authorities found that Uber is not a ‘ride share’ as defined in Murrica but a public carriage service that should be regulated to protect the public
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Correct me if I'm wrong but Uber (or at least, the registered taxis that take Uber bookings) only operates in Dublin, so not sure how you would get one in Kerry even if it was cheaper?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.