Wiki Posts
Search

Has anybody used Dublin Pass?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Has anybody used Dublin Pass?

Getting ready for our trip next month and came across the Dublin Pass. Seems like a pretty good deal. I will wait until we are within 30 days of our trip in case something comes up as it says they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Just curious if anybody has used them. The one thing that I don't like is the 24 hour hop on/off bus is only good for one day when buying a multiple day pass. I am pretty sure we will buy a 5 day pass, but skip one of the days in the middle to do a day trip.

We are looking at 3 day trips and will do one in the middle and 2 at the end of our trip if we do this 5 day pass. I saw somewhere that I can get a 10% discount with Irish Day Tours if I have the pass. Not sure how that works since I don't have the pass yet, so any advice would be appreciated. Am I at risk of them selling these tours out if I wait until we get there to purchase?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I've not used this pass myself but I have found the ones I have used elsewhere to be generally good value but I would sit down and write a list of the places you want to visit and then do a calculation of the costs you would incur if you didn't have the pass. Are there other discounts or combination tickets available that could reduce the costs for example

Some of their suggested savings are based on some, IMHO, unrealistic visits - would you do a brewery / distillery tour on each day for example?

I don't see the issue of only getting the hop on/off bus once given that these passes often have admission restrictions i.e. you can only do each attraction once with the same pass.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I've not used this pass myself but I have found the ones I have used elsewhere to be generally good value but I would sit down and write a list of the places you want to visit and then do a calculation of the costs you would incur if you didn't have the pass. Are there other discounts or combination tickets available that could reduce the costs for example

Some of their suggested savings are based on some, IMHO, unrealistic visits - would you do a brewery / distillery tour on each day for example?

I don't see the issue of only getting the hop on/off bus once given that these passes often have admission restrictions i.e. you can only do each attraction once with the same pass.
Absolutely, I would do a brewery/distillery tour each day. Those are some of our favorite places to tour. As far as the value, I know we would do many of the places if the pass weren't available and those that we would do, would be more than the pass. I was just making sure that nobody had any bad expierience with this particular company or maybe had a better option. I am also concerned with the day tours. I don't really want to book them in advance, but don't want to get there and have them be sold out.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ksucats
Absolutely, I would do a brewery/distillery tour each day. Those are some of our favorite places to tour. As far as the value, I know we would do many of the places if the pass weren't available and those that we would do, would be more than the pass. I was just making sure that nobody had any bad expierience with this particular company or maybe had a better option. I am also concerned with the day tours. I don't really want to book them in advance, but don't want to get there and have them be sold out.
Although I've been to Dublin a number of times, I've never used the Pass--by the way, I see on the website that there's a discount for Pass purchases made by 6/9--but since you will be doing multiple brewery/distillery tours, let me offer this one observation. Unlike the distillery tours, the Guinness Storehouse tour can be done as a self-directed tour. As a result, while at Jameson and Teelings, you're pretty much committed to a 90-120 minute window for a tour while Guinness can offer some flexibility. If you only have 30 minutes or need to pass three hours, the Storehouse is a good stop. With that flexibility, I'd make your other plans that require a set amount of time and then fit the Storehouse in with the time you have or make it a stop if the weather turns nasty. The Gravity Bar at the top not only has your free Guinness pint but some gorgeous views of Dublin and the nearby Wicklow Mountains since Dublin is not a city full of high rises.
ksucats likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Although I've been to Dublin a number of times, I've never used the Pass--by the way, I see on the website that there's a discount for Pass purchases made by 6/9--but since you will be doing multiple brewery/distillery tours, let me offer this one observation. Unlike the distillery tours, the Guinness Storehouse tour can be done as a self-directed tour. As a result, while at Jameson and Teelings, you're pretty much committed to a 90-120 minute window for a tour while Guinness can offer some flexibility. If you only have 30 minutes or need to pass three hours, the Storehouse is a good stop. With that flexibility, I'd make your other plans that require a set amount of time and then fit the Storehouse in with the time you have or make it a stop if the weather turns nasty. The Gravity Bar at the top not only has your free Guinness pint but some gorgeous views of Dublin and the nearby Wicklow Mountains since Dublin is not a city full of high rises.
Thank you. I wanted to point out for anybody who may read this, the discount that you saw actually keeps getting extended. I have been researching hte past couple weeks and they just change the discount between a % off and $ off and add a few days.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

We just got back and we absolutely got our value out of this card. It allowed us to go into a couple places I wouldn't have been willing to spend money on otherwise (wax museum for example). It was super easy everywhere.

I wish the Leprechaun Museum had been on this card as my daughter talked me into going there and it was a waste of $ in my opinion. I wouldn't have cared if it was included on this card and not something I shelled out additional $ for. It was right around the corner from Jameson and we visited it right before that tour, so we didn't make a special trip for it at least.
:D! likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Amex,Citi
I'm on the fence about the Dublin Pass, will wait until I am 30 days out and then decide whether or not to buy.

I'm going in October, so there's a chance the discount will be even better for the off-season, with the disadvantage that they may cut back the number of Hop On/Off buses running...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Whilst there are sometimes discounts (and these are often nonsense ones varying from 15$ off to ŁXX off which is the equivalent of 15%!) I've never, in the several passes I have bought for half a dozen different cities, ever had an 'off-season' discount even if some of the attractions are not operating or have reduced hours.

Again in my experience all the pass websites list the opening hours of the attractions and you can also cross check against the actual website of the attraction for their hours and any closure dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.