Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Plenty of football fans at the airports today?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M

Anyone spotted lots of football fans on the move today?
The Champions League final tomorrow in Madrid is an all-English affair: Liverpool vs Spurs.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as their bosses havent seen them , when the phoned in sick this morning. All is okay, well, until the credit card bill arrives.
trooper likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
An Iberia A330 has just flown over my house into Luton (I live seven miles away) so no doubt that will be taking a few supporters over to Madrid tomorrow. Must be a charter. It’s an unusual sight for us, the biggest planes we normally would see are DHL A300s.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
A 25+ year old Isuzu Trooper with a load of lads waving Liverpool flags out of the windows passed me on the M2 yesterday. Given the car and the speed they were driving my first thought was that they could have chartered a jet to Madrid for around the same cost as what it was going to get there in that thing.

Spike
Old May 31, 2019, 9:07 pm

Air Traffic Control expected to be handling the most flights ever in a single day yesterday with 600 charter and private jets in addition to the norm.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:53 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
A 25+ year old Isuzu Trooper with a load of lads waving Liverpool flags out of the windows passed me on the M2 yesterday. Given the car and the speed they were driving my first thought was that they could have chartered a jet to Madrid for around the same cost as what it was going to get there in that thing.
No need for a hotel
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Air Traffic Control expected to be handling the most flights ever in a single day yesterday with 600 charter and private jets in addition to the norm.
About 1500 extra flights according to this article!
https://sg-mktg.com/MTU1OTMxNTQ3NnxC...OcH2Pyo_xNDa0=
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by farci

About 1500 extra flights according to this article!
https://sg-mktg.com/MTU1OTMxNTQ3NnxC...OcH2Pyo_xNDa0=
Where are they getting all the extra pilots and cabin crew from?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikem004
probably the pilots and crews that dont mind being paid overtime or double time for their shift.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikem004
The number sounds very high. If there really are that many additional flights in connection with the match, this suggests that the overwhelming majority of them will be small private planes rather than commercial jetliners. The stadium has a capacity of circa 67000. If every single person in that stadium came by plane, this would require somewhere in the region of 300 to 350 A320/321 family aircraft.

According to ITV, NATS said that they expected an additional 400 charter flights, including repositioning flights, and an extra 200 private jet movements, which sounds rather closer to the mark than the figure of an extra 1500 flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.