LHR T2 overnight

Old May 29, 19, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

LHR T2 overnight

Hello,

Is LHR Star Alliance terminal open overnight? I arrive around 10 pm and depart on a partner airline the next morning, around 12 hours later. Will I be able to remain in the terminal?

Similarly, if I change to a flight arriving 24+ hours before my 10 am connection, when can I reenter the terminal?

thank you.
Old May 29, 19, 6:05 pm
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Heathrow closes airside overnight and you would be forced landside. They really don't want you there either, so that would not be a comfortable experience. Airside typically reopens around 5.30am.

There are plenty of hotels along the Bath Road, a few minutes by bus from T2, and Heathrow hotel prices are normally very cheap - particularly Friday to Sunday if that happens to fit.

If the time between your flights increase to >24 hours then you would become liable for UK Airport Departure Tax (APD), which depending on your destination and cabin travelled in could be as much as 172 for long haul in Y+ or higher (or as little as 13 for a short haul in economy).
Old May 29, 19, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Airside is closed overnight and security opens at around 04.30 (or did when I was there in February) with the cafes etc opening at about 5 (IIRC the WH Smith was open when I got airside just after 04.30)

If you have lounge access they start opening at 5am

from the LHR website there is a 24 hour costa coffee open landslide so I’d assume that landslide is open through the night.

personally I’d be looking for a hotel rather than lurking in the terminal for that length of time. As NWIflyer stats there are plenty of hotels in the area and if your flight arrives at 10pm you’d likely be in bed by 11

Old May 31, 19, 4:38 am
formerly james_yuen

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, BA Silver
To add on, if you are going to book a hotel on Bath Road, there are free, public buses that operate from the 'Central Bus Station' (connected by walkway to T2, 2-3mins) to those hotels. They look identical, but simply board and there's no need to tap. Google Maps/(insert other public transport apps) will advise you on which bus to get, and where to get off, and vice versa.

Do not get the Hotel Hoppa as it charges a silly amount for the ride (considering you can get it for free) or a cab as they're more expensive, and and they would rather earn 100 by taking someone to Central London.
Old May 31, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If after July 1st then the Hilton Garden Inn connected to T2 becomes the logical choice
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:49 am

If I may piggyback on this thread, I have an early departure from T2 and was considering whether I should stay at the Sofitel in T5 or the Hilton in T4. Is one easier to get to T2 from than the other?
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:49 am

I recently stayed at the Premier Inn (next-ish to the Hilton) for an early morning departure from T2 and it took me a few minutes to walk to the train station where I got on the free shuttle train to T2. Very convenient indeed (and nice hotel, by the way).

G
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cerps343 View Post
If I may piggyback on this thread, I have an early departure from T2 and was considering whether I should stay at the Sofitel in T5 or the Hilton in T4. Is one easier to get to T2 from than the other?
Both about the same.

Both are attached to their respective terminals by a short walkway. When you get to the terminal, you'll have a choice of free train (every 15 mins), or tube (london underground) which is free as long as you have contactless/oyster. Tube is a bit more frequent, but check exact times to see which is next! When you get to the Heathrow Central area, it's a 5 minute walk from the tube station to T2, and a few minutes extra from the train station. Train and tube frequency between T4 or T5 and T2/T3 is the same. Only difference is that you can't get a tube from T2/T3 direct to T4, it's only direct from T4 back to T2/T3. For T5 it's direct both ways.

Time it right and it's maybe 12 minutes hotel-to-termina, worst case about 30 minutes.
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I doubt I would pay the premium that a terminal-attached hotel charges if I wasn't flying from that terminal. If flying out of T2 my first choice would be the Hilton Garden Inn, my second choice would be a Bath road hotel
Old Jun 12, 19, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cerps343 View Post
Why not the new HGI right at T2? Opens July 1.
https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...EGI/index.html
Old Jun 12, 19, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Why not the new HGI right at T2? Opens July 1.
https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...EGI/index.html
It would be great except I'm flying out of LHR the morning of July 1, so my stay would be June 30 I thought the exact same thing though!
Old Jun 15, 19, 2:22 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Rather than fuss around with buses, you can also stay at the HGI at Hatton Cross. It is one stop on the underground from T2 and is a short walk from the station (200m). I do it regularly (once this week).
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Just a note that if you use the HGI at Hatton Cross you'll have to pay to use the underground which is 1.70 / 1.50 (depending on time of travel) each way using oyster / contactless.

It is still in the free bus zone though
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I prefer to take bus 285 to and from the HGI Hatton Cross. No need to faff about with escalators and then oyster when carrying luggage, and the bus stop arriving from the airport is almost right outside the hotel; on the way to the airport it's also slightly closer than walking to the station. Just have to check for the live arrival times on the walk to the central bus station or when leaving the hotel room.

Last edited by :D!; Jun 15, 19 at 8:54 am
Old Jun 26, 19, 12:39 pm

Does anyone have information about the actual opening date for the Hilton Garden in T2? We have reservations for 23 August prior to our 24 August departure from T3 at 10:30 a.m.

The Hilton website is no longer showing any availability for July, August, September. I phoned Hilton who contacted the hotel and reported back that we should check back in August!

Any local knowledge about what's going on? I'm wondering if we need to change our reservation. Since it's prepaid I'd try to get Hilton to just put us into something else. But if that's the case, what should I want? The Hilton in T4, the Hilton Garden on Bath Road, or something else? FWIW, we'd be arriving at the Central Bus Station late afternoon of 23 August.

Thanks!

Search this Thread