FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Logistics at Inverness Airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1971698-logistics-inverness-airport.html)

lwildernorva May 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Logistics at Inverness Airport

I'm planning an August trip to Scotland, and with my itinerary, Inverness makes sense as an entry/departure point, especially with airfare savings on BA.

Two questions. First, on arrival (6:05 p.m.), how much time from landing to driving off the property in a rental car including the likelihood that I'll need to retrieve a checked bag?

Second (but a two-parter), for my departure, am I correct that no hotel has a shuttle to the airport? And how early before my flight to London should I arrive with (probably) a bag to check but assuming I drop off my rental late the evening before my flight?

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom!

rcspeirs May 28, 2019 11:11 pm

It's a small airport. You'll be off the plane and collected bags in 15 to 20 minutes.
Car rental? Who are you renting from? Avis and Europcar are in the terminal, with cars parked by the terminal door. Hertz are near the airport but not in Terminal, they collect you in a bus, about a quarter of a mile away. Arnold Clark (who get high recommendation from many in Scotland) are in the city.
You are correct that hotel shuttles are not a thing. Logistics on your return flight depends on which hotel you'll stay and time of day for the flight.

Gagravarr May 29, 2019 6:15 am

Inverness is a small, compact, friendly airport. HBO you can easily be outside in 5 minutes from wheels-down. Baggage comes out fairly quickly, I'd say a 5-10 minute wait in the baggage shed on my last to bag-enabled trips there

Coming back, if you're HBO, you can do a back-to-back at Inverness and still have time for a drink in the lounge, so it's all very quick! Checking baggage, you don't need to worry about time to clear security, you just need to ensure you're there before the bag drop checkin closes

If you don't have too many bags, I'd consider trying to drop the car in Inverness itself (if one-way fee isn't too bad), then take the bus to the airport from the city centre the next day. If you have loads of bags, probably best to find a hotel or B&B (bed and breakfast / guesthouse) nearby and arrange taxis both ways

lwildernorva May 29, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks for your replies. I've been through Heathrow, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Aberdeen, but this is my first experience at INV. From my research, I figured several of the rental car companies were at the airport while several weren't. I'd prefer to be able to pick up and drop the car at the airport so Avis and Europcar will probably be the agencies I use. I'm staying in Nairn on arrival, and with Avis or Europcar, it sound as if I could be out of the airport in a rental by 45-60 minutes after the flight lands.

For departure, I'm likely to be on the 7:05 a.m. flight. I figured on dropping the car off the night before since it appears that the rental agencies don't open until 8:00 a.m. at the airport, but I will investigate a dropoff at the city centre location if the one-way fee is reasonable. It appears that if I'm fully checked in by 6 a.m., I shouldn't have any issues comfortably making my flight. If I take the 12:05 p.m. flight, I'll probably just hold onto the car and drop it when I arrive at the airport for my flight.

expatboy May 29, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva (Post 31149349)
For departure, I'm likely to be on the 7:05 a.m. flight. I figured on dropping the car off the night before since it appears that the rental agencies don't open until 8:00 a.m. at the airport, but I will investigate a dropoff at the city centre location if the one-way fee is reasonable. It appears that if I'm fully checked in by 6 a.m., I shouldn't have any issues comfortably making my flight. If I take the 12:05 p.m. flight, I'll probably just hold onto the car and drop it when I arrive at the airport for my flight.

Avis offer a 24hr drop-off facility at INV according to their website, so if that is something you are comfortable with then that's an option. I guess that means parking the car and leaving the keys in a box and having faith that they don't game you with spurious charges - although this isn't something I've had issues with form Avis in the past, YMMV. You could take photos as evidence of condition before you leave it; they should be time and date-stamped.

lwildernorva May 29, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by expatboy (Post 31149490)
Avis offer a 24hr drop-off facility at INV according to their website, so if that is something you are comfortable with then that's an option. I guess that means parking the car and leaving the keys in a box and having faith that they don't game you with spurious charges - although this isn't something I've had issues with form Avis in the past, YMMV. You could take photos as evidence of condition before you leave it; they should be time and date-stamped.

Thanks. Good suggestions. I'm leaning towards Avis because I have also had good experiences with them and have status with them that normally provides me with a car class upgrade.

rcspeirs May 29, 2019 11:28 pm

Here's what I do if using out of hours drop off.
If you are not taking the Avis fuel option, get a receipt when you fill up. My technique is to photograph the receipt (just using my phone) then leave that receipt in the car - so that when staff check the car in they see you have refuelled. I leave the receipt over the instrument panel - so that staff have to pick it up in order to see the mileage display.
Photograph the car (including instrument panel showing mileage and fuel gauge) before you put the keys in the drop.
It's very unlikely you'll have any billing dispute following out of hours return, but I find it you have plenty of photo evidence on your side, any dispute will be resolved quickly.

jimlad48 May 30, 2019 3:47 am

I've used Avis a lot from INV - they are usually reliably good and I've dropped off when closed.

The airport is tiny, so if you've prebooked its a short walk to the Avis Preferred kiosk outside.

pinkcat Jun 2, 2019 7:34 am

Taxi was less than £20 to the Holiday Inn if thats any help at all

lwildernorva Jun 2, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 31162504)
Taxi was less than £20 to the Holiday Inn if thats any help at all

Very well could be where I stay so thank you for the information.

lwildernorva Jun 6, 2019 3:07 pm

I ended up buying a package through BA Vacations that includes a rental car from Avis. For less than $1400, a WT+ seat and a rental car for 15 days seems an excellent value! I'll probably follow expatboy's suggestion regarding extra photographs of the vehicle at dropoff so that I can leave the vehicle just before departure. Having a vehicle until departure obviously opens up accommodation options for my last evening in Scotland.