Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi in Alnmouth, Alnwick, Cragside and Rothbury

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Taxi in Alnmouth, Alnwick, Cragside and Rothbury

We plan to take the train from Durham to Alnmouth on the way to Edinburgh. We'd like to take a taxi to Alnwick to see the castle and gardens, stay in a hotel, then the next day take taxis to Cragside and perhaps Rothbury, returning to Alnwick and then Alnmouth to continue our train journey. north

I'd like to see if taxis are available and find reliable companies (or apps). What would you recommend?

We don't want to drive or take buses. I've done Google searches, but those are not always reliable for this type of question.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I think Google is reliable for this.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/posters/ALM.pdf has three phone numbers you can try (or google those companies).

Just make sure you pronounce Alnwick and Alnmouth properly.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

I saw the National Rail pdf, but don't know if those work for Cragside and Rothbury. For example, Alnmouth Station Taxis seems to have become Knights Taxis, whose website did not make it sound as if they are a large operation, which could mean not having taxis available when we want them. Or maybe they do.

Do you have any experience with any of these companies?

Pronounce as Anick and and Alnmouth?
Old May 28, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by richarddd
I saw the National Rail pdf, but don't know if those work for Cragside and Rothbury. For example, Alnmouth Station Taxis seems to have become Knights Taxis, whose website did not make it sound as if they are a large operation, which could mean not having taxis available when we want them. Or maybe they do.

Do you have any experience with any of these companies?

Pronounce as Anick and and Alnmouth?
Tick VG on the pronunciation
I've not used Taxis in the Alnmouth area - I would guess that Alnwick has a greater selection of firms. Possibly you could get a deal from a taxi firm on the set of bookings?
Old May 28, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tocsin
Tick VG on the pronunciation
I've not used Taxis in the Alnmouth area - I would guess that Alnwick has a greater selection of firms. Possibly you could get a deal from a taxi firm on the set of bookings?
Alnmouth and Alnwick seem rather close (4 miles from rail station to castle).

i'd rather preserve some flexibility on timing - how long to stay at Cragside, whether or not to visit Rothbury, etc. My main concern is that taxis be available not long after we call, so that we aren't stranded or waiting an excessive amount of time. I should be able to give at least 30 minutes - by then I should have a good feel for how much longer we'll want to stay. I'd guess they'd want something more specific to give a deal, but probably worth checking.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by richarddd
Alnmouth and Alnwick seem rather close (4 miles from rail station to castle).

i'd rather preserve some flexibility on timing - how long to stay at Cragside, whether or not to visit Rothbury, etc. My main concern is that taxis be available not long after we call, so that we aren't stranded or waiting an excessive amount of time. I should be able to give at least 30 minutes - by then I should have a good feel for how much longer we'll want to stay. I'd guess they'd want something more specific to give a deal, but probably worth checking.
This is an odd part of the UK - very rural and the taxi operations are pretty small round there. Distances are deceptive and driving times always longer than you may think.

I've found from personal experience that pre-booking is essential, and that ringing up to get a cab at short notice may equate to a very long wait - particularly the smaller firms that only have a couple of cars - particularly if you are travelling with much luggage.

I'd seriously consider changing plans slightly and getting a hire car in Newcastle, and dropping it back there (or drive on to Edinburgh) and give yourself a lot more flexibility - also gives you the opportunity to see the coastline, which is spectacular.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimlad48
This is an odd part of the UK - very rural and the taxi operations are pretty small round there. Distances are deceptive and driving times always longer than you may think.

I've found from personal experience that pre-booking is essential, and that ringing up to get a cab at short notice may equate to a very long wait - particularly the smaller firms that only have a couple of cars - particularly if you are travelling with much luggage.

I'd seriously consider changing plans slightly and getting a hire car in Newcastle, and dropping it back there (or drive on to Edinburgh) and give yourself a lot more flexibility - also gives you the opportunity to see the coastline, which is spectacular.
We'll pre-book rather than risk very long waits.

Our experience driving in rural UK has not been good. Too many narrow and twisty roads, plus Google maps often suggests seemingly absurd routes and more than once it's taken us to unpaved roads.

Google maps does show that it's a 4.1 mile 10-15 minute drive between Alnwick and Alnmouth.

Trains and taxis are much easier than driving, at least for us.

Last edited by richarddd; May 30, 2019 at 5:00 am
Old May 30, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Very understandable!

If you take the train north, make sure you sit on the right hand side of the carriage - you'll get some fabulous views along the coast as a result.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimlad48
Very understandable!

If you take the train north, make sure you sit on the right hand side of the carriage - you'll get some fabulous views along the coast as a result.
Will do! Left on the way down, then right on the return north. LNER lets you reserve seats, which should make that easy.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:37 pm

Cragside and Alnwick Castle both need a reasonable amount of time to fully appreciate. You could easily spend half a day at each but it just depends how much you want to go into things. Alnwick is very much the big tourist attraction. Spectacular gardens and the castle itself to look round. Then there might be additional displays of falconry etc that can easily take more time if you want to just sit and watch them. Also, cafes shops, tree houses. I think we spent about 3 hours there and that was only just enough time to do the main bits.

Cragside is out in the country near Rothbury. We love it for the mix of spectacular location, fascinating house and grounds and all the engineering of the electrical and water systems and everything else that goes with the Armstrong name; ship building, armaments etc. There are lovely trails through the woods to see some of the engineering installations - definitely worth taking the time to do these if the weather allows. There are lots of other trails around the grounds if you are feeling energetic.

Rothbury is a pleasant little town for a look around but you probably don't need a massive amount of time to have a stroll up and down the main street.

Just for completeness Alnmouth itself is a lovely seaside village with some nice pubs and B&Bs. We have stayed there a few times. Nice walks along the beach before breakfast or after dinner. Unfortunately Alnmouth is a good way from the railway station of the same name; not really walkable with luggage.

A wonderful area to explore. Enjoy.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeec
Cragside and Alnwick Castle both need a reasonable amount of time to fully appreciate. You could easily spend half a day at each but it just depends how much you want to go into things. Alnwick is very much the big tourist attraction. Spectacular gardens and the castle itself to look round. Then there might be additional displays of falconry etc that can easily take more time if you want to just sit and watch them. Also, cafes shops, tree houses. I think we spent about 3 hours there and that was only just enough time to do the main bits.

Cragside is out in the country near Rothbury. We love it for the mix of spectacular location, fascinating house and grounds and all the engineering of the electrical and water systems and everything else that goes with the Armstrong name; ship building, armaments etc. There are lovely trails through the woods to see some of the engineering installations - definitely worth taking the time to do these if the weather allows. There are lots of other trails around the grounds if you are feeling energetic.

Rothbury is a pleasant little town for a look around but you probably don't need a massive amount of time to have a stroll up and down the main street.

Just for completeness Alnmouth itself is a lovely seaside village with some nice pubs and B&Bs. We have stayed there a few times. Nice walks along the beach before breakfast or after dinner. Unfortunately Alnmouth is a good way from the railway station of the same name; not really walkable with luggage.

A wonderful area to explore. Enjoy.
It sounds like we should do an afternoon in one and the next morning in the other (assuming we arrive from the South in the morning). Perhaps the morning in Alnwick in the hope that it will be less crowded then (and to be closer to the train for our journey north)?

Is there anything else in the area that we should see and that's reachable by taxi? We are much more interested in art, architecture and gardens than beaches or pubs.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Both the National Trust and English Heritage have a number of properties around there: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sea...lace&view=list and https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...false&fe=false will hopefully be stable links to show them
Old May 31, 2019, 8:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm a local resident. I'd book via a Rothbury firm, they may be able to take it all in as a single transaction since they'll be more keen on the business. In that respect it may be better to reverse the trip, stay in Rothbury, visit Cragside, then go to Alnwick. For Alnmouth to Alnwick, if you aren't in a rush you could call on arrival, there may be a taxi at the station, if not one of the several Alnwick companies could get a taxi there in 10 minutes. If you are a book reader, don't forget to plan a trip to Barter Books.

https://www.pottstaxi.co.uk/

There are buses between Alnwick and Rothbury (number 15), for those looking at this thread in the future, every few hours, and they run past Cragside. There is a better service between Rothbury and Morpeth, which also has a train service (X14)

Paging @Stez.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA gold
I haven't used public transport including taxis in that corner of my woods, so I'm not able to give too much advice other than what Dr Google tells me.

I see there's an Arriva X18 and X20 bus from Alnmouth-for-Alnwick station that goes into Alnwick that could be used as a backup. 20 minutes jorney and runs hourly, there's probably some waiting to be had between the train and the bus.

I'd be inclined to agree with CWS - and a local company might be able to take you to some of the other sights if you overnight it in Rothbury - especially if you are visiting Durham Cathedral, there's a very significant link between the cathedral and the tidal island of Holy Island of Lindisfarne - though there isn't a huge amount to see on the island but it's not too inconvenient (if the tide times are playing ball with your plans - the road causeway is submerged twice a day) when combined with a trip to Bamburgh castle - which has links to Cragside House as it is the resident of the Armstrong family, and to bring it vaguely on topic, there's a small Amrstrong museum of inventions by Lord Armstrong including some aviation technonology as well as other engineering stuff.

You didn't say when you are going to visit, @richarddd ?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm a local resident. I'd book via a Rothbury firm, they may be able to take it all in as a single transaction since they'll be more keen on the business. In that respect it may be better to reverse the trip, stay in Rothbury, visit Cragside, then go to Alnwick. For Alnmouth to Alnwick, if you aren't in a rush you could call on arrival, there may be a taxi at the station, if not one of the several Alnwick companies could get a taxi there in 10 minutes. If you are a book reader, don't forget to plan a trip to Barter Books.

https://www.pottstaxi.co.uk/

There are buses between Alnwick and Rothbury (number 15), for those looking at this thread in the future, every few hours, and they run past Cragside. There is a better service between Rothbury and Morpeth, which also has a train service (X14)

Paging @Stez.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA gold
Just to add, you probably can get taxis during the daytime fairly easily except around school opening/closing times when they have to do school runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.