Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

No Piccadilly Line to LHR: 25-27 May 2019

No Piccadilly Line to LHR: 25-27 May 2019

Old May 25, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I’ve used taxis to go between LHR and Mayfair and I’ve used the HEX and Connect to get between the city and LHR, but I’ve also used the Tube. I have found the Tube actually convenient enough for me that I have done it more times than not.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA
I found the bus service from LHR to Victoria station to be pretty quick and easy. One warning...its kind of hard to find.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As my destination in London is Earl’s Court, the Tube is far faster than HEX as well as being a fraction of the price. Car would be faster still coming in to London but too risky for departures. Twice I’ve been faced with an accident closing the Chiswick Flyover which has taken over an hour to clear.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Nowadays, I much prefer to connect in Mainland Europe (as I go mainly towards Asia) and fly in/out of LCY. Maybe it's an extra 'getting off/on' of a plane, but it saves that LHR to Central London 'trek'. Examples include using CX from ZRH/DUB/FRA to HKG and connecting onwards to other parts of Asia.

My preferred transport from Central London to Heathrow, however, is with a car-share called 'Blue City' - it costs about Ł10 for a (really terrible) car from Central London to Hounslow West, where I jump on the tube to Heathrow. For me, driving's rather relaxing once you pass Hyde Park Corner and it's never usually gridlock as there's many lanes. Zipcar offer another option which directly drops you inside T5 but haven't checked it out yet as I'm still under 21.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:48 am

Currently sitting on the replacement bus. I imagined chaotic scenes but they have a good system going: well signposted and many helpful staff once you got to the tube station. Not many people here (many empty seats on the Hammersmith bus), no doubt helped by the lack of signage anywhere in the terminal :P

Already towards the end of the bank holiday but if this happens again in the future I would wholeheartedly recommend the bus...
Old May 27, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My problem with the tube is that the seats can get quite uncomfortable on the bum, and it's nearly an hour trip to the West End (though I guess a bit shorter if you're gong to Knightsbridge or Green Park area).
Old May 28, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by ijgordon
My problem with the tube is that the seats can get quite uncomfortable on the bum, and it's nearly an hour trip to the West End (though I guess a bit shorter if you're gong to Knightsbridge or Green Park area).
Coming off a long haul flight, I would understand and compared to options such as the Heathrow Express or a black cab, it's quite un-comfortable. However, relative to other subway/metro systems, the tube is one of the most comfortable across all lines.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Interstingly the replacement bus route got as near as it gets to replicating the B(E)A coach to the former West London Air Terminal.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Was this closure a one time event, or will it be happening again in the near future? I am flying into LHR mid August and wondering if I will encounter any problems?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
It is very occasional, notified well in advance, and usually over a weekend.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You can sometimes get some advance notice from the TfL website.

A quick look suggests that there will be Piccadilly Line disruption affecting journeys to/from LHR on the weekend of 28 and 29 September (no service between Hyde Park Corner and Acton Town, and no District Line between South Kensington and Acton Town either).

However, TfL plans can change and so the current list shouldn't be regarded as set in stone.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Thanks for the link. Very helpful!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Although technically HEX isn't under TFL's purview, these closures are co-ordinated so it's extremely unlikely for both HEX and the Piccadilly Line to be closed at the same time, giving everyone alternatives if the Replacement Bus Service isn't one's cup of tea.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Although technically HEX isn't under TFL's purview, these closures are co-ordinated so it's extremely unlikely for both HEX and the Piccadilly Line to be closed at the same time, giving everyone alternatives if the Replacement Bus Service isn't one's cup of tea.
I'd go further than that - there is next to no chance that there would ever be planned closures of both HEX* and the Piccadilly line at the same time.

(* and by extension TfL Rail, i.e. the service that used to be Heathrow Connect)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.