Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Transport, Baggage Between LCY and LHR (long London connection)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport, Baggage Between LCY and LHR (long London connection)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Depending on where the OP is staying in London once they arrive at LCY the tube can be quicker and more economical and convenient that the Heathrow Express.

Why add extra steps in to the trip especially if you are as averse to carrying your luggage as the OP appears to be!
The Heathrow Express does not go from LCY into downtown London, the DLR is the best way from LCY. However, between LHR and central London I have found the Heathrow Express to be the best and fastest way to get to Heathrow
Old May 14, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by dwugson
The Heathrow Express does not go from LCY into downtown London, the DLR is the best way from LCY. However, between LHR and central London I have found the Heathrow Express to be the best and fastest way to get to Heathrow
I'm quote aware of where the HEX goes.

And as already stated the HEX is only fastest if you are close to Paddington. If you aren't then the tube is far more likely to be if not the fastest then the most convenient way involving less changes when using public transport.

People need to look at the journey to/from the airport in toto and not just on individual legs. It is clear that for a trip between LCY and LHR (and vice versa) the easiest way is DLY/Jubilee/Piccadilly lines and just avoid the HEX.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:09 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
This may be a partial solution, albeit an expensive one. They do not pick up from LCY but can pick up from most hotels. But then again, you've already gone through half the hassle. Otherwise there's always Uber.

https://airportr.com/ba/
Yeah, I had looked at courier services, but they're quite expensive, when the alternative is no charge.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Hoc
Oh, well. What a hassle, dragging our bags across London on the Tube.
Ummm. Loads of people do it further than what you are doing - and that's only if you were going direct from LCY to LHR - but I'm assuming you will be getting a hotel for the night? Or where you planning to stay up all night clubbing and sleep on the flight back?

Let us know what your plans are and where you will be staying and people can advise you on the best route. If you have too many bags, then just take a taxi or plan to travel lighter if possible.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:12 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The OP does have a stopover in London, so a resonable chance that the OP wants to be in London and not at an airport

LCY is a great airport for arriving and departing from and has an easy journey to the London and Westminster cities

With 29 hours, no reason to change to LGW and , if holding status which affords lounge access, there would be no lounge access if booked on the BA codeshare to LGW
I am OW Platinum, so I do have lounge access. Also have priority pass. But I'll probably use the BA lounges at Heathrow, even though they're not as good as they used to be.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:15 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chfenton
I did a LHR-to LCY trip yesterday from Terminal 4 at LHR. It helps that I caught the Heathrow Express connection from T4 just right, then hardly waited for Bakerloo, Jubilee or DLR at Canning Town. I left LHR T4 at 1240 and was through security at LCY before 2pm. About 25 pounds cost between HEX ticket and tube/DLR so certainly one of the most economical prices for the relative quickness of the trip. It can be much cheaper than this of course by doing only the tube as opposed to the Heathrow express to Paddington
I'm probably going into town for the night, and staying at one of the hotels near Marble Arch. My wife likes the shopping around there, and we can walk over to Hyde Park in the morning to listen to the crazies giving speeches. So, expeditious transport between airports isn't a concern.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:18 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Or more realistically, use a service ( like mentioned above) use the Airportr service, which will charge from GBP30 for 1 bag and will collect the bag from hotel and take it to the airport and check it in for the flight; once collected, no need to touch it again

If wanting not to have to even take bags to hotel, then changing journey to be FLR-LGW ( if no/low change fee ) the service has a drop off facility at Gatwick
I'm flying on miles, so Gatwick wasn't an option. Frankly, if I had an option for a stopover, it would have been traveling through Madrid on Iberia. We love that town.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:20 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc
If you have too many bags, then just take a taxi or plan to travel lighter if possible.
We don't have a lot of bags. Just my computer, CPAP and a rollaboard for each of us that we were planning to check. Just don't like lugging bags up and down the many tube steps.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:22 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Let us know what your plans are and where you will be staying and people can advise you on the best route.
I'm assuming that we will do dinner around Whitechapel (probably New Tayyabs) and then go for a show. Maybe wander Leicester Square in the evening before we go back to the hotel, then in the morning, breakfast somewhere, maybe shopping around Bond St., wandering through Hyde Park, then off to the airport for a 5 pm flight home.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
We don't have a lot of bags. Just my computer, CPAP and a rollaboard for each of us that we were planning to check. Just don't like lugging bags up and down the many tube steps.
If you are staying at Marble Arch, you can take the DLR to Stratford and change for the Central Line to Marble Arch. All escalators but you may have to change at Canning Town depending on the time of day. Marble Arch is a short set of stairs to a long escalator to the ticket concourse and then another short set of stairs to street level.

Heading to Heathrow, you may as well hop in a cab (or bus if you are feeling adventurous and it isn't peak hour) to Paddington and take the HEX - just book tickets early to get the discounted price, it's a rip off otherwise. Alternatively take a cab (or bus) to Hyde Park Corner for the cheaper Piccadilly line tube.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
I'm assuming that we will do dinner around Whitechapel (probably New Tayyabs) and then go for a show. Maybe wander Leicester Square in the evening before we go back to the hotel, then in the morning, breakfast somewhere, maybe shopping around Bond St., wandering through Hyde Park, then off to the airport for a 5 pm flight home.
5pm departure means around 3pm check in time or are you planning to cut it finer? That means around 2pm departure at the latest if you take the HEX ( assuming you just miss one and have to wait 15 mins for the next one and it's 25mins to T5).

Nice choice for New Tayyabs. Depending on the day, be prepared to queue. Don't forget the official half price ticket booth in Leicester Sq should you decided to rock on up on the day instead of pre-booking something.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:01 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Don't forget the official half price ticket booth in Leicester Sq should you decided to rock on up on the day instead of pre-booking something.
I usually go to the half-price ticket booth in Leicester Square, and just go for the best option that's available. We've seen some wonderful shows that way. My wife still talks about "We Will Rock You," which we wound up seeing that way. So, there's usually something fun.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you are staying at Marble Arch, you can take the DLR to Stratford and change for the Central Line to Marble Arch. All escalators but you may have to change at Canning Town depending on the time of day. Marble Arch is a short set of stairs to a long escalator to the ticket concourse and then another short set of stairs to street level.

Heading to Heathrow, you may as well hop in a cab (or bus if you are feeling adventurous and it isn't peak hour) to Paddington and take the HEX - just book tickets early to get the discounted price, it's a rip off otherwise. Alternatively take a cab (or bus) to Hyde Park Corner for the cheaper Piccadilly line tube.
Good advice. Stratford will, I think, always require a change at Canning Town, but that’s really straightforward even with considerable luggage - one platform level down, a very short escalator ride or I think from memory there are lifts as well.

I’d take DLR/Tube to get to the Marble Arch area in preference to any other option. Much quicker, much cheaper and as negotiable with luggage as anything else (taxi excepted, which wouldn’t justify the cost differential).

Depending on exactly where the OP’s hotel is, Bond Street may end up being the closest station - in which case that’s an even easier change to the Jubilee Line at Canning Town. Easy station to negotiate, no long escalators, single change journey.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 15, 2019 at 4:55 am Reason: Clarify single change at Canning Town for nearby station to Marble Arch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.