FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   ScotRail Tickets - using only partial ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1968539-scotrail-tickets-using-only-partial-ticket.html)

OskiBear May 6, 2019 6:42 pm

ScotRail Tickets - using only partial ticket

Hi All - I'm hoping someone might have some insight into my situation.
I had booked a ticket from Invergordon to Edinburgh, which requires a change in Inverness. However, my plans have changed and I'm now only going to be in the Inverness area. Would my ticket still be valid if I just boarded at Inverness?
In fact, the ticket specified that I need to pick it up somewhere other than Invergordon, which doesn't have a ticket collection facility.
I'd like to avoid buying a new ticket if at all possible.
Thanks!

:D! May 7, 2019 1:01 am

What ticket do you hold and what was the price?

Anytime and off-peak return tickets on this route allow you to start short.

If it is an advance ticket you must use complete the entire journey and use the exact trains that were reserved.

In Scotland you can buy full-price tickets on the train. Which means that you can get on a train with an invalid ticket and ask the conductor for permission to travel. If refused, you can just pay again. However, there are ticket barriers at Inverness so you may not be able to get on board the train to ask for permission.

Scots_Al May 7, 2019 2:59 am

Even if it is an advance ticket, the fact that it requires a change at Inverness means the ticket inspector on the second leg will not know whether you have taken the first leg or not. Your only issue then is getting through the ticket barrier at Inverness - I’d have thought a £3.70 single to Beauly would achieve that.

Oh, and if it is an advance ticket, collect it before you turn up at Inverness!

OskiBear May 7, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks for the replies!
I looked more carefully and it's an "Advanced Single, non-flexible" ticket.
The journey consists of ScotRail #SR0906 from Invergordon to Inverness and a 22-minute interchange to ScotRail #SR0417 (Inverness to Edinburgh)

I'm arriving a few days prior on the Caledonian Sleeper so presumably I can pick up the ticket at that time via some mechanism (machine/kiosk) at the Inverness station at that time?

Also, are you suggesting that I can just buy the cheapest one-way ticket to get through the barrier, but then when on the train from Inverness to Edinburgh, just show them my original ticket? Sounds brilliant!
Will their scanner know I didn't take the first leg of the journey?

lhrsfo May 7, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 31076115)
Thanks for the replies!

Will their scanner know I didn't take the first leg of the journey?

Trains in the UK are very low tech. I would be amazed if the inspector even had a scanner, let alone that it did anything other than simply read what's on the face of the ticket.

Swanhunter May 7, 2019 12:53 pm

The guard will have a scanner to read the barcode but there won’t be any check whether you have taken all the trains on the booking.

You’ll be able to pick up the ticket at any national rail
ticket machine using the code and a credit card for ID.

Intrigued as to where you got the train reference numbers beginning SR?

stut May 7, 2019 1:18 pm

Some booking sites use the 'retail service IDs' to refer to individual services.

(For the OP's info, you are extremely to see the DR codes anywhere but on your email...)

So, SR0417 is this fella:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G81314/2019/05/27/advanced

Swanhunter May 7, 2019 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by stut (Post 31076855)
Some booking sites use the 'retail service IDs' to refer to individual services.

(For the OP's info, you are extremely to see the DR codes anywhere but on your email...)

So, SR0417 is this fella:

Realtime Trains | 1B52 0944 Inverness to Edinburgh

Something new every day 😀

OskiBear May 7, 2019 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 31076770)
Intrigued as to where you got the train reference numbers beginning SR?

I booked my ticket through Loco2 and the email with the confirmation provided the train numbers. Didn't realize that was unusual.
The booking interface on Loco2 was simpler than on the ScotRail site

Giantlonglegs May 7, 2019 5:09 pm

As you'll be arriving into Inverness on the Caledonian Sleeper, you can simply go straight to the main manned station office just after WHS Smith on the left for train tickets at the station on arrival.

Speak to the staff there and pick up your ticket. They've local staff and friendly, they should be able to help and sort you out.

So there's no point going to Beauly or Dingwall, also it's single track North of Inverness, as is the line up from Perth, so services are sparse as the same train goes up to Thurso/ Wick, and then back down again.

Does your paperwork say to pick it up from a particular station?

Train Stations South Bound from Invergordon:

Invergordon - Alness - Dingwall - Conon Bridge - Beauly - Inverness.

OskiBear May 7, 2019 5:26 pm

The instructions on the email state: Please note that there are no ticket collection facilities at Invergordon so you must collect your tickets from a different station before you travel. The closest station with collection facilities is Dingwall.

My plan is to pick up the tickets in Inverness the day I arrive - I assume I can do this a few days in advance of my actual trip?

So, with ticket in hand for Invergordon-Inverness-Edinburgh, would I be able to get through the gates at Inverness Station on the day I depart?

antichef May 7, 2019 11:26 pm

If you have any problem getting through the gates, that was why the advice above was to buy the cheapest one way single to Beauly. It will open the gates, but you dont have to go there. Just get on the train you also have a ticket to.

NWIFlyer May 7, 2019 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 31077568)
The instructions on the email state: Please note that there are no ticket collection facilities at Invergordon so you must collect your tickets from a different station before you travel. The closest station with collection facilities is Dingwall.

My plan is to pick up the tickets in Inverness the day I arrive - I assume I can do this a few days in advance of my actual trip?

So, with ticket in hand for Invergordon-Inverness-Edinburgh, would I be able to get through the gates at Inverness Station on the day I depart?

You can collect your ticket at any station with the facility to do so - i.e. a machine. Ticket offices can also issue the ticket, so generally can conductors on the train now, but usually you will be expected to go through the normal procedure before they will help you because that’s how the resources are allocated. Anything else is an emergency back-up.

It is possible that the barriers at Inverness will refuse your ticket because the conditions may include that you can’t break your journey, and it will have expected you to simply transfer at Inverness . However, the reality is that the barriers often also reject perfectly valid tickets as well so every set of gates has an agent on them to deal with issues. In practice, that agent will have no idea why the ticket was rejected - you might have had to exit to go to the toilet, or buy something from the shops in the station for example - so they will simply manually let you through. It happens hundreds of times every day at every station.

So, don’t sweat this - if the barrier rejects you, show the ticket to the agent and I would be absolutely astonished if you’re not allowed through. As others have said, beyond that point the train conductor simply will neither know nor care whether or not you’ve started at the right place.

rcspeirs May 8, 2019 12:58 am

I agree that you'll have no problems on this journey, Scotrail staff are generally very helpful.
But for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, note that it is not valid advice for rail travel elsewhere in the UK with other operators. Management on the LNER route (Edinburgh London) have historically had a very aggressive and 'to the letter' attitude to holders of advance tickets, and have attempted prosecution of passengers who 'stopped short' with an advance ticket.

NWIFlyer May 9, 2019 6:15 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 31078479)
I agree that you'll have no problems on this journey, Scotrail staff are generally very helpful.
But for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, note that it is not valid advice for rail travel elsewhere in the UK with other operators. Management on the LNER route (Edinburgh London) have historically had a very aggressive and 'to the letter' attitude to holders of advance tickets, and have attempted prosecution of passengers who 'stopped short' with an advance ticket.

The OP is not stopping short, though - this is a journey that's starting at an intermediate point. In practice, I don't know of any rail company that would twig that's what happened because of the myriad of reasons any passenger might have for needing to pass through the exit barriers onto the station concourse.

I would also be giving very different advice to someone who starts at the right place but stops early - at best this is likely to lead to difficult questions, particularly at stations such at Stratford where there should be no need to pass through the exit gates.