FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   LNER increases weekend first by £10 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1968375-lner-increases-weekend-first-10-a.html)

layz May 5, 2019 2:11 pm

LNER increases weekend first by £10

LNER, the rail operator between London and Scotland along the East Coast route, has increased their weekend first fares by £10. It is now either £25 or £35 rather than £15 or £25.
There's still a cut down first class service on a weekend with no hot food or alcohol offered.
Personally I'd prefer they scrapped weekend first and offer a consistent 7 days a week service. Unless other operators has also increased their prices at the same time this now makes LNER the most expensive operator to upgrade on a weekend.
On a weekday you can bid for upgrades starting from £5 and the weekday service includes hot food all day and alcohol after 11am.

Swanhunter May 5, 2019 3:13 pm

That is quite punchy, though at less than £8 per hour for London-Edinburgh arguably it’s worth it for the seat alone.

layz May 5, 2019 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 31070366)
That is quite punchy, though at less than £8 per hour for London-Edinburgh arguably it’s worth it for the seat alone.

I don't know, I could pay £25+Avios LCY-EDI, get there quicker and then get free champage :)

I wonder if this is in preparation for their new trains that have more standard class seats but fewer first class (as has been the trend lately).

stut May 5, 2019 6:08 pm

Perhaps it's to drive more people towards Seatfrog, so they can control the upgrade capacity, rather than have a free-for-all.

KARFA May 6, 2019 1:14 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 31070749)
Perhaps it's to drive more people towards Seatfrog, so they can control the upgrade capacity, rather than have a free-for-all.

are they still using seatfrog? it's been over a year since i had any email promoting use of it, last time was when virgin were still doing it. the last few promotional upgrade emails i have had have been directly from lner and inviting me to sit in first and pay the supplement (~£25 I think) directly to the on board staff.

layz May 6, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 31070749)

Seatfrog is weekdays only. The reason was because they had cheap upgrades on a weekend anyway.
It's a good argument to ditch weekend first and have a consistent product 7 days a week.

DYKWIA May 6, 2019 8:00 am

Virgin Westcoast went up to £25 a couple of weeks ago also.

KARFA May 6, 2019 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by layz (Post 31071832)
Seatfrog is weekdays only. The reason was because they had cheap upgrades on a weekend anyway.
It's a good argument to ditch weekend first and have a consistent product 7 days a week.

interesting. I have had a few weekday journeys and no email about seatfrog for a long time. As I say it’s been the fixed price promotional upgrade offers direct from lner for me.

Swanhunter May 8, 2019 3:44 am

Curiously enough I just received an email from Seatfrog for Virgin Trains!

Smid May 15, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 31072205)
Virgin Westcoast went up to £25 a couple of weeks ago also.

That happened well over a year ago. £10 Rugby down to London, from there up, I'm not sure when the £15 cost of upgrade stops, I suspect from Preston onwards its £25. Been that way for a while.

When they first charged me this (£15 vs £10 from Wolverhampton), they had started doing sandwich on the weekend, from just tea/coffee/snackbox. The conductor said they were going to do alcohol included in the upgrade at the weekends, but that was a long time ago and never appeared. Most of the time on a weekend you end up just going to the buffet and getting stuff from there, anyway, and nobody does the at seat service.

big_mac May 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Prices increased by £5 across the board a few weeks ago - it's now a minimum of £15, and e.g., £20 for London to Wolverhampton.

Smid May 16, 2019 2:46 am

Originally Posted by big_mac (Post 31105948)
Prices increased by £5 across the board a few weeks ago - it's now a minimum of £15, and e.g., £20 for London to Wolverhampton.

Ah, I didn't realise that, not been on the route for a while. I take it they still haven't brought in alcohol? Because they're pricing it far more than a typical 20:03 London to Wolverhampton First Class advance which is about £24 total. On most days of the week.

It does seem like the last days of Virgin West Coast. They did decent sales near Easter, mid July and just before Christmas for quite a few years. Last sale seen was July 18. All lot of the typical pre peak advances disappeared too about a year ago, getting something like a 13:23 from London became rare if impossible. I think they knew the franchise was done and they're just milking whatever out of it.