Reload this Page >

Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 9:40 am

Telegraph carrying the story as well. I was hoping to fly on the 19th June but really not sure of booking it now. I know that's what they want, but it's a business meeting which I really need to be at.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Oh great, I’m flying back from Kyiv on the 19th so any disruption the day before could mess this up. Got some Wizz credit so I’ve booked a flight back to LTN instead.

Looks like LHR could be a in for a hard time with protests from now on.

If they do try anything let’s hope they arrest all of them and lock them up.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:23 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

It might be interesting to see the recently installed anti-drone measures deployed. [But obviously annoying to anyone disrupted]
Old May 31, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I am very sympathetic to the protection of the environment, Unfortunately, the protesters always seem to target the wrong people and wrong airport. The UK airports, especially Heathrow are environmentally responsible operations, more so than airports found in most other countries....No one ever sits outside the embassies of Thailand, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Cambodia or Indonesia and protests. As mentioned up thread, China is proceeding with more coal plants.
Seems to me that these people have their priorities mixed up; attacking people who are trying to do something positive instead of those who dump plastic into the oceans, and pollutants into the air.
You're right that airports and other institutions in the UK do tend to try harder to be environmentally friendly than they do in other parts of the world (at least publicly - let's not forget that greenwashing is very much A Thing) and it's good to encourage more of that type of thinking.

However, why is LHR more environmental than some airports in the countries you mention? It's because the weight of public opinion here in the UK demands it, and public opinion is shaped by things like the (actually quite popular among the general public) Extinction Rebellion protests. Good luck trying to stage an environmental protest in China or Myanmar.

I'm happy that you're sympathetic to protecting the environment, but it's important to understand that the levels of environmental protection we enjoy here in the UK today exist because of people taking action like this and raising the profile of the issue of climate change until it could no longer be ignored.
DeathSlam and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Feeling happy that of my 9 flights in the middle of June, not one touches LHR
Old May 31, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by thatsthebadger
Telegraph carrying the story as well. I was hoping to fly on the 19th June but really not sure of booking it now. I know that's what they want, but it's a business meeting which I really need to be at.
I think the protest thing is ridiculous. Do they think they can inconvenience people and they will decide to support the protesters? Let them protest in front of the terminal or someplace they won't cause a nuisance.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Sigh, and here I am arriving LHR right in the middle of this. Silver lining - connecting via CDG so if there is enough disruption I'll just swap over to the Eurostar, I guess.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Sigh, and here I am arriving LHR right in the middle of this. Silver lining - connecting via CDG so if there is enough disruption I'll just swap over to the Eurostar, I guess.
Well done! By using Eurostar you will have supported the protesters’ point
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by farci

I agree with the protesters overall aim, it's their methods which make we want to buy a humvee, strangle a otter and drill for oil in the Lake District.

44% of our emissions or these about is generating electricity. If the actually cared about the environment, rather than virtue signalling and partying, they would be out protesting for a nuclear power station.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
I agree with the protesters overall aim, it's their methods which make we want to buy a humvee, strangle a otter and drill for oil in the Lake District.

44% of our emissions or these about is generating electricity. If the actually cared about the environment, rather than virtue signalling and partying, they would be out protesting for a nuclear power station.
and how much electricity is required to run all the servers and networks etc that power the protesters weapon of choice. social media and WhatsApp etc?? 😂😂
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by farci
So I should just indignantly wait around CDG and miss the meetings in London which I'm crossing the Atlantic for? That's nearly the same level of childish behavior as the protestors.

If my flights are disrupted enough, I'll either be looking to head into LCY or I'll switch to Eurostar, which gives me the added opportunity to perhaps grab breakfast in Paris and enjoy a quick train ride after 10 hours in a plane. But to the extent it is in my control, I *will* be getting to London when I need to.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:46 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Worcester
You are right that fission and fusion don't produce CO2 in the same way that coal\oil\gas do. Unfortunately there are other different environmental issues that ensue, mostly to do with irradiated waste but also fuel enrichment and reprocessing.
As a rational right thinking person it is extremely hard to get accurate and unbiased information on these sorts of environmental issues. Almost every search you do on the internet will give you a biased opinion.
Sadly for most of the issues we all hold strong opinions on, we have nowhere near enough information to have an informed opinion. Therefore we are dragged to support people we think are 'like us' rather than understanding or investigating the issues. I see no hope of this ever changing.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:49 am

Their actions are domestic terrorism and should be treated as such, min ten tears in prison for the little scrotes
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by AlanA
Their actions are domestic terrorism and should be treated as such, min ten tears in prison for the little scrotes
and banned for life from passenger aircraft...
aidy likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AlanA
terrorism
[Quote]
terror
violent or destructive acts (such as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands
[\quote]

Stop triviliazing actual terrorism please...

Do these handful of non-violent hippies actually fill you with terror?

For everyone who is actually worried, the last time they held a protest at Heathrow the only thing they managed is to block a sidewalk for about an hour, mostly because there mere too many journalists to fit on it. I personally wouldn't alter my travel plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.