Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Without wanting to get into a debate on the merits of the issue, I hope that if these ratbags make good on their threat, that there will be some robust action taken against them. Somehow, however, I doubt it.

At least it will only be for a few days. I mean, they all have to go back to work on Tuesday, don't they?

Don't they?
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I will never understand the protest tactic of derailing the lives of people the cause might like to have as allies, not enemies.
trooper, downinit, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Without wanting to get into a debate on the merits of the issue, I hope that if these ratbags make good on their threat, that there will be some robust action taken against them. Somehow, however, I doubt it.

At least it will only be for a few days. I mean, they all have to go back to work on Tuesday, don't they?

Don't they?
Unfortunately they are carrying on all next week. Do any of them work? It's time the government and police took forceful action or this could become permanent.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer

Don't they?
Are you assuming that they're gainfully employed?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by amt
Interesting... these are the same left-wing folks usually out in force complaining of double standards against minorities committing an act of terrorism(shutting down an airport) and calling it a protest...
Oh please, once you have a guy chase you with a hacksaw after running your family over with a truck, call it terrorism.
Once you have someone putting an AK-47 to your head in front of a camera, call it being taken hostage.

Have some sorry guy glue himself to the tunnel that takes you to the airport, call it stupidity misguided by good intentions, or whatever you like, but none of the above, please...

Thank you!
IAN-UK, rickg523 and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:20 pm

I’m flying into LHR this Saturday. Good grief.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:01 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Oh please, once you have a guy chase you with a hacksaw after running your family over with a truck, call it terrorism.
Once you have someone putting an AK-47 to your head in front of a camera, call it being taken hostage.

Have some sorry guy glue himself to the tunnel that takes you to the airport, call it stupidity misguided by good intentions, or whatever you like, but none of the above, please...

Thank you!
Was that what the police forces were saying and the press was reporting when they were hunting people flying drones around two months ago?

When they’re never had a job, hippy dippy kids paying their Ł50 magistrates on mummy’s visa, they’re as you described... poor dumb sods misguided by good intentions. Now if they’re brown people shutting down an airport to cause anarchy and bring attention to their...

Not that I’m defending either... just pointing out these EXACT SAME people are the first out waving their ‘white privilege’ accusations against others... when here we see it in full force.

Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Their goal is to overwhelm the police. There aren't enough prison places to put all of them, so only the most serious offenders will actually be jailed. Some of them want to be arrested because they will simply have to be released. AFAIK, they have not provided any specific realistic goals for change.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
I have to wonder why they had not targeted heathrow to start off with, but then I saw they were waiting for the queen of luvvie hypocrisy to come back to the UK before starting their airport protest.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-green-is.html

I'd be amazed if she flew in Y so the carbon footprint for her flight will be more than 3.5 tons...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Attention-seeking ‘professional protestors’, with a smattering of hypocrisy..
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-teacher-yoga/
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by McCoy
Attention-seeking ‘professional protestors’, with a smattering of hypocrisy..
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-teacher-yoga/
agreed
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
BBC news have just had live pictures of protesters at the roundabout by the tunnels. Traffic appeared to still be moving.
Police seemed to be just watching. And so it begins........

Spike
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by firstlight
I have to wonder why they had not targeted heathrow to start off with, but then I saw they were waiting for the queen of luvvie hypocrisy to come back to the UK before starting their airport protest.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-green-is.html

I'd be amazed if she flew in Y so the carbon footprint for her flight will be more than 3.5 tons...
Yes that did amuse me. Notice the single use plastic cup in her hand as well.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Fark me, Sky News have even managed to get Simon Calder on the scene!
Looks like they were on the road in front of the tunnel and police moved them to the side of the road. Those interviewed seem very young, very well spoken and very emotional.

Saw a lovely pashmina on display.

Spike
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: # Neodymium #

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.