Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The environmental damage caused by the political demonstrations has outweighed the benefit that might have been given;
- Additional fuel used due to traffic delays, detours and bringing in of public security personnel
- Damage to physical property all results in the consumption of resources during their repair and replacement.
- The litter and trash left behind is deplorable.

I am very sympathetic to the protection of the environment, Unfortunately, the protesters always seem to target the wrong people and wrong airport. The UK airports, especially Heathrow are environmentally responsible operations, more so than airports found in most other countries. For the past two months, SE Asia has been blanketed by poisonous thick smoke due to the burning of agricultural land and forests. This annual event puts more pollution into the air in the period of 2-3 months than the UK exposure. Yet, not one protest is ever made about this. No one ever sits outside the embassies of Thailand, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Cambodia or Indonesia and protests. As mentioned up thread, China is proceeding with more coal plants.
Seems to me that these people have their priorities mixed up; attacking people who are trying to do something positive instead of those who dump plastic into the oceans, and pollutants into the air.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you assuming that they're gainfully employed?
You mean they are not? Surely they can't be benefitting from the largesse of the reviled capitalist pigs?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
According to my ITV News Feed, the LHR protestors (reportedly a couple of dozen) were mainly under 17.

“Save the Planet and get the kids to do the protesting.” .... hmmm.

So, probably no jobs, but back to school next week.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
So I visited the website of these protesters and they seem to be lunatics.:
-Net zero carbon by 2025?
-A citizen committee on ecological justice to have the final say over government?

So where is their proposal to get to net zero carbon? The economic forecast? What will be the rules on import of goods from other countries?
What is the limitations on the powers of this citizens committee? What is the due process like?

These loons need to propose detailed legislation and reports (from non-partisan sources) before they have my support.
trooper and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by OUTraveling; Apr 19, 2019 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
Of course you do! What WAS I thinking of?

Sorry, Senior Moment there!
... unless you have an airside pass, there's some really good roads and tunnels between T5 and T3 parallel to the runways :-)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Emma Thompson flew in from LA to take part in the protests
The_Bouncer and RyanLHR like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Classic.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Classic.
In Business, she exclaimed.

However, if the aircraft is flying LAX-LHR anyway, Dame Gobby might as well be comfortable and rested before a hard day’s eco-warrioring.

Anyway, my conscience is reasonably clear. Electric car fed with French nuclear volts. Low energy lights everywhere. Recycle everything possible.
Only fly c. 40k a year now ...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
So I visited the website of these protesters and they seem to be lunatics.:
-Net zero carbon by 2025?
-A citizen committee on ecological justice to have the final say over government?

So where is their proposal to get to net zero carbon? The economic forecast? What will be the rules on import of goods from other countries?
What is the limitations on the powers of this citizens committee? What is the due process like?

These loons need to propose detailed legislation and reports (from non-partisan sources) before they have my support.
Going by their economic philosophy, they're also aiming for zero GDP on a similar timescale, so that should take care of the CO2 emissions.
trooper and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Exec club
Air travel only produces around 2% of the global C02 human emissions, but these Guardian reading mobs seems to still believe that air travel is for the few and privileged...
If they put the same effort on developing clean technologies perhaps things will be better, but not, playing the martyr is more funny for them.
RyanLHR likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ukeurotraveller
Air travel only produces around 2% of the global C02 human emissions

You might have got this from ATAG or some other air transport lobby group. I think the statistic comes from a late-last-century study. Current research-backed thinking puts aviation as a source of around 4% of human-induced Carbon dioxide emissions. That's a world figure. A UK-only study could generate different results....

Originally Posted by Ukeurotraveller
, but these Guardian reading mobs seems to still believe that air travel is for the few and privileged...
yikes!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in London this weekend and happened upon the protest. My first thought was ..., a pink sailboat!
Old May 31, 2019, 2:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

On the Evening Standard website as well as MSN News too but it would seem the protesters are in the 'consultancy stage' regarding planning to cause disruption on Tuesday June 18th for 1 day, then potentially 10 days from the 1st July.

https://rebellion.earth/2019/05/30/s...eathrow-pause/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/e...-a4155716.html

Extinction Rebellion demands the Government begins to act on its declaration of a Climate and Environment Emergency by cancelling all Heathrow expansion. On June 18, we plan to carry out nonviolent direct action to ensure Heathrow Authorities close the airport for the day, to create a “pause” in recognition of the genocidal impact of high carbon activities, such as flying, upon the natural world. If the Government does not cancel all Heathrow expansion, Extinction Rebellion will act to shut the airport down for up to 10 days from July 1.

Extinction Rebellion is in the consultancy stage with its members on the proposed action
Old May 31, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Genocidal impact... M'kay.

As for not expanding LHR: well, one can always enlarge LGW, LTN, STN and SEN instead, if LHR is the problem for the environment. Even LCY could be extended, if some buildings would be demolished and the RWY grounds would be expanded, partially artificially.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Will there be more than four students with a tea towel for a flag this time?

if they shut down Heathrow, how will Emma Thompson fly in?
Shingi, Tobias-UK and GaxxyFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.