Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Worcester

Yes that did amuse me. Notice the single use plastic cup in her hand as well.
But but but the straw is cardboard so that's alright then.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heavy Police presence at Paddington and landslide at T5 but all running smoothly (apart from the usual painful once a year passengers who appear at holiday times 😉 )

Last edited by Swanhunter; Apr 19, 2019 at 2:58 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:56 am

Just arriving at T3 in an uber having come through the tunnel. Traffic is very light and there is a heavy police presence. Hardly any protesters.

Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by polochick
Just arriving at T3 in an uber having come through the tunnel. Traffic is very light and there is a heavy police presence. Hardly any protesters.
It did appear on the telly that there might have been more press than protesters.

Spike
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
It did appear on the telly that there might have been more press than protesters.

Spike
I saw a bit on Sky this morning. 4 protesters, 6 media and about 12 policeman. They interviewed one of the protesters and the poor luvie was in tears.

They said the protesters had been moved from the road onto the footway, but were still commiting an offence as it was still airport land. Why didn't they put them in a police van and drop them off a long way from the airport?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:41 am

I agree with the protesters. Climate change represents the biggest threat to the environment and we are being very complacent in actually engaging with the problem and doing something about it. The Extinction Rebellion movement is trying to focus minds both in government and across the country on the problem and achieving their aims. This week so far they have had a huge amount of publicity, way more than any other issue associated with climate change before.

The police and judiciary system are being brutal in dealing with the protesters; remand, which is prison by any other name, for peaceful protesters in the light railway is draconian.

I wish them every success.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Greenpen
The police and judiciary system are being brutal in dealing with the protesters; remand, which is prison by any other name, for peaceful protesters in the light railway.
I have no problem with peaceful protests, but glueing yourself to a train is NOT a peaceful protest. And given the same day threat made to LHR for today I don't think there was any other option but to put them on remand, otherwise the same people would then be there causing more criminal damage.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ Greenpen ... so you’re not immediately impacted by blocked roads, railways or airports, I assume?

I have aympathy for their cause, but I have no sympathy for the methods they have chosen to highlight it.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
I saw a bit on Sky this morning. 4 protesters, 6 media and about 12 policeman. They interviewed one of the protesters and the poor luvie was in tears.
Early yet. Not sure these soap dodging student protest types, would be up for their kale smoothies yet.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I have aympathy for their cause, but I have no sympathy for the methods they have chosen to highlight it.
Absolutely.
Disrupt government or be vocal and loud - sure, but disrupting other innocent people that may need to go about their day; work, birthdays, funerals etc is not a peaceful protest and is unacceptable. Just show no respect for others.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I agree with the protesters. Climate change represents the biggest threat to the environment and we are being very complacent in actually engaging with the problem and doing something about it. The Extinction Rebellion movement is trying to focus minds both in government and across the country on the problem and achieving their aims. This week so far they have had a huge amount of publicity, way more than any other issue associated with climate change before.

The police and judiciary system are being brutal in dealing with the protesters; remand, which is prison by any other name, for peaceful protesters in the light railway is draconian.

I wish them every success.
I agree, but targeting the public (and especially the public using low carbon public transport) is just madness. It is puerile and self indulgent by people who are attention seeking and I doubt actually care or know much about the subject they are protesting about. I think they are if anything damaging the cause.

I can't help but feel this is more of a party not a protest.

Last edited by Worcester; Apr 19, 2019 at 10:33 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:34 am

Seems like the anarchists have gone to wrong country, it's in China they should be blocking roads etc.

China’s power industry calls for hundreds of new coal power plants by 2030 - Unearthed
Under the proposal, the country could add a large coal power plant every 2 weeks for the next 12 years
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They would have had a lot of support if they were protesting against BArbs M&S Premium Buy On Board. I would be out there protesting with my fellow Double Barrelled Warriors.

But as they're not... I can only suggest BArb brims her potable tanks with napalm and bomb them. Her Country of the Month chicken dishes wouldn't work, just too tepid. It's got to be napalm. And toss her lounge cakes out of the rear door causing blunt force trauma. That would show them the dangers of Aviation.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by T8191
T3 access is above ground, surely? I’m sure it was when we went through in Feb!
No, you have to go through the tunnel under the North runway to get to T2 & T3.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No, you have to go through the tunnel under the North runway to get to T2 & T3.
Of course you do! What WAS I thinking of?

Sorry, Senior Moment there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.