Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion eco protesters threaten to 'shut down' Heathrow airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
We're flying out (T5) tomorrow morning, very much hope that (like the threats to bring the tube to its knees) it's not followed through successfully.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by SteveF

Not today they weren’t. A bunch of them
were refused bail today and remanded until 14 May. Their lawyer said that it was disproportionate, which I thought was a bit rich considering that his clients have been screwing up London for a week and plan to continue doing so.
That's interesting - I presume on the basis of the commission of further offenses. It's hard to deny bail unless it's very serious these days. And a month on remand is more than they are likely to get in a sentence!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Agent69
If there are 20 people lying in the middle of the road causing an obstrutction then the polce should be straight in there and drag them out the way, not talking to them politely asking them if they would mind moving.

The reason these people do what they do is because they know they will not be called to account for their actions. It's like people getting drunk and disrupting a flight. They get a good talking to and that's about it. If they were made to pay the true financial cost of their actions, they wouldn't cause trouble in the first place.
In an ideal world yes and I agree in general with the above but the thin blue line is extremely thin. It takes 3/4 officers to deal with one and carry them and with so many I suspect other tactics will have been deployed like filming them and doing a post operation to prosecute.

As for drunks disrupting flights I think it's generally well reported the more extreme cases they're dealt with quite firmly and robustly by the courts.

Originally Posted by SteveF
Not today they weren’t. A bunch of them
were refused bail today and remanded until 14 May. Their lawyer said that it was disproportionate, which I thought was a bit rich considering that his clients have been screwing up London for a week and plan to continue doing so.
That's good to hear ^
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:36 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Heathrow has now pushed a message out to app users:

Heathrow is aware of possible protest activity at the airport during the Easter weekend.

While we respect the right to peaceful protest and agree with the need to act on climate change, we don't agree that passengers should have their well-earned Easter Break holiday plans with family and friends disrupted.

Passengers should contact their airlines for up to date information on their journeys.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Duplicate
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:04 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Interesting... these are the same left-wing folks usually out in force complaining of double standards against minorities committing an act of terrorism(shutting down an airport) and calling it a protest...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:15 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by PETER01
In an ideal world yes and I agree in general with the above but the thin blue line is extremely thin. It takes 3/4 officers to deal with one and carry them and with so many I suspect other tactics will have been deployed like filming them and doing a post operation to prosecute.
As I reiterate... shutting down an airport, causing mass disruption, creating a situation where the security arrangements and personnel cannot maintain airport operations without putting the lives of passengers in danger... act of terrorism.

Call in the army and take a heavy handed approach.

BAGoldBoy, T8191, PJSMITH0 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:35 am

I feel sorry for you guys. I should be sympathetic to this protest group, however, I don't understand the reasons for causing inconvenience to the public on a massive scale. Someone tell me how these protests are going to convince the public to do something.
bostonkarl likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Agent69
  • Donald Trump denies that climate change exists. Why not glue yourself to the entrance to his Scottish golf course
Not tomorrow please. I have a tee time in the morning!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Worcester
For the life of me I can not understand the point of disrupting low carbon light railway commuting.
I was pretty amused to see the news about it. It says a lot about the logic of the average participant in these endeavours. Also obstructing the TfL bus netwok is pretty genious. The core problem with any tirades like this is that there's usually no meaningful way to appease these masses. It's not a negotiationable standoff.

As for the biggest sources of pollution - well, for "some" reason these merry citizens of yours prefer London over Beijing. I wonder why they don't venture there...
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Terrorism is the use or threat of action, both in and outside of the UK, designed to influence any international government organisation or to intimidate the public. It must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.
Hmmm ... I wonder?

https://www.cps.gov.uk/terrorism
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:53 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
1: Doing this on a holiday targets leisure travelers - surely the people they are more likely to want to recruit - rather than the business travelers who (presumably) are the intended targets. Seems shortsighted.

2: As a private entity, doesn't Heathrow have more power to deal with protesters than the police in London so far who have "sat on their hands"? Heathrow's security decisions aren't subject to political review.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I was pretty amused to see the news about it. It says a lot about the logic of the average participant in these endeavours. Also obstructing the TfL bus netwok is pretty genious. The core problem with any tirades like this is that there's usually no meaningful way to appease these masses. It's not a negotiationable standoff.

As for the biggest sources of pollution - well, for "some" reason these merry citizens of yours prefer London over Beijing. I wonder why they don't venture there...
Do all the protestors ride bikes everywhere or plug in hybrids using clean electricity?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by T8191
@irmater Sadly we don’t use water cannon and cudgels. “Freedom of Speech” has gone too far in this case.
Freedom of Speech is governed by Time, Place, and Manner even in the United States. Blocking a public roadway is a form of free speech but is civil disobedience and illegal.

P.S. In the US, these individuals would face about 20 years in prison though they will probably get five years or so per a plea bargain.
T8191 and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by zitsky
I feel sorry for you guys. I should be sympathetic to this protest group, however, I don't understand the reasons for causing inconvenience to the public on a massive scale. Someone tell me how these protests are going to convince the public to do something.
I understand the cause that they champion, however they should take up their concerns with elected leaders. I will have sympathy for them if the are sentenced to MORE than 20 years in prison.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.