Uber drop off / pick-up at Paddington

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

I recently ordered an Uber to pick me up at Paddington and (having failed to read the warning notice on the app !) waited forlorny at the pre-booked spaces up at the taxi rank, only to find that the new (as in at least 6 months old ...) pick up point was on the other side of Praed St. All a real nuisance, with heavy cases, but my own fault really.

What I now want to find out is whether Uber's (and minicabs generally) are still allowed to drop off in the old pick-up (taxi rank) zone: i.e. are allowed to turn left from Bishop's Bridge Rd through the "Taxis only" .sign, as they have been for many years now.

If not, is there any reason not to request a drop-off (and indeed pick up) from the roundabout leading down to Sheldon Sq, on the other side of Bishop's Bridge Rd ?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I was wondering if Uber would be a decent option for me. Arriving at Paddington (via Heathrow Express) at about noon-1pm on a Saturday in a few weeks. I'll be with a friend. We're both staying at the DoubleTree Hyde Park.

Google Maps estimates the drive to take 6 minutes (I'm guessing maybe 10). Does anyone know how much a cab would cost?

We could probably walk it in 20 minutes, and we might just do that. However...January weather may not cooperate. We'll just have roller bags and I'll have a backpack, so definitely walkable luggage-wise.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway then Central Line to Queensway?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Google maps has taxi prices now- at least it does for me.

Around Ł5 in an Uber, or Ł10 in a cab off the rank.

You could also jump on the tube for 1 stop to Bayswater, then walk 5 min.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
This sounds by far the easiest, and it also is significantly cheaper. A win on all counts.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I used Google maps, and it is about 15 min via TfL Rail from Paddington to Ealing Broadway. Then I'd be coming back to Hyde Park? Seems to turn what should be a short ride into something much longer.

Think I'll use @mad_rich's tips, the GBP 5 Uber should work for us. Perhaps the Tube, if the weather permits (well I'm sure if it doesn't Uber will have surge pricing anyway).
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:45 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by aztimm
I used Google maps, and it is about 15 min via TfL Rail from Paddington to Ealing Broadway. Then I'd be coming back to Hyde Park? Seems to turn what should be a short ride into something much longer.
No need to travel via Paddington - the TfL Rail service goes direct from Heathrow to Ealing Broadway. It doesn't serve T5, though, you'd need to change at Heathrow Central.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by stut
No need to travel via Paddington - the TfL Rail service goes direct from Heathrow to Ealing Broadway. It doesn't serve T5, though, you'd need to change at Heathrow Central.
Oh, I see what they mean. We already bought HEX tickets; they were pretty cheap (GBP 11 for return service, any trains on the outbound/return dates). So we'll be going to Paddington, unless HEX stops elsewhere.
Sounds like the GBP 5 Uber is probably the best choice for 2. Unless it is a nice day and we decide to just walk it.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
And you get to skip the overpriced Heathrow Express.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And you get to skip the overpriced Heathrow Express.
I've taken the Tube from LHR to the city (London Bridge station) several times and I felt the 11 GBP round-trip for HEX was quite reasonable, very similar to the price of riding the Tube. I hope it is a more pleasant experience I'm assuming that we won't need to fight for seats on HEX.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:46 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I've taken the Tube from LHR to the city (London Bridge station) several times and I felt the 11 GBP round-trip for HEX was quite reasonable, very similar to the price of riding the Tube. I hope it is a more pleasant experience I'm assuming that we won't need to fight for seats on HEX.
FWIW, the TfL Rail service is very different to the Tube - heavy rail as opposed to metro.

HEX is generally fine for seating. There are a few peak trains which can be a challenge, particularly when they're on 4-car operation. But this isn't when you're travelling.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:40 am

Oh, I see what they mean. We already bought HEX tickets; they were pretty cheap (GBP 11 for return service, any trains on the outbound/return dates). So we'll be going to Paddington, unless HEX stops elsewhere.
No, it doesn't - Heathrow Express runs non-stop from Heathrow Airport to Paddington.

The TfL Rail service from Heathrow (which will become part of the Elizabeth Line / Crossrail) is what used to be called Heathrow Connect, and is the stopping service between Heathrow and Paddington. As stut says, despite being run by TfL it is a 'heavy rail' service distinct from the London Underground / the Tube.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.