Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Which London station has quickest travel to all 4 airports?

Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

What station in London Central would have the quickest travel time to LHR, STN, LCY and LGW on average? I am going into a new job where I will be travelling 2 times a week. It can be from any 4 of the airports but if I had rank the airports from most to least trips per year it would be:
LCY
STN
LHR
LGW
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Do you mean that you are trying to figure out where to live? By proximity to tube or train station?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Well it depends on which station you start from! What's your most local station?

Victoria (London Bridge or Blackfriars also viable) for Gatwick, Paddington for Heathrow, and Liverpool Street for Stanstead. City is on DLR so coming from central London you'd be looking at a connection into Bank or Tower Gateway which would be optimal from Canon Street or maybe Liverpool Street.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Numb3rs
What station in London Central would have the quickest travel time to LHR, STN, LCY and LGW on average? I am going into a new job where I will be travelling 2 times a week. It can be from any 4 of the airports but if I had rank the airports from most to least trips per year it would be:
LCY
STN
LHR
LGW
If you are thinking about where to live in London I would recommend using other factors, and it depends on your definition of London Central...

However if the ONLY thing you care about is access to airports Stratford would be a good choice. DLR straight to LCY; Coach or easy trip to Liverpool Street for STN; Crossrail (eventually) to LHR; and Jubilee Line to London Bridge for LGW.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Please follow this thread as it moves to the UK and Ireland forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
StingWest likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Bit of a guess off the top of my head but maybe Farringdon/Liverpool St? Pretty easy for City, trains to Gatwick and Stansted (I think), and Crossrail to LHR. Not that I know when one will be to do that last one...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
This is a really bad way to choose where to live in London
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
On average: probably Fenchurch Street actually!

LCY: Walking distance (10mins) to Bank and one train, or from Fenchurch St -> Limehouse -> (DLR) LCY
STN: Walking distance (10mins) to Liverpool St and one train to Stansted
LHR: Not great, but walking distance (5mins) to Aldgate to Paddington, and Heathrow Express. Alternatively: Liverpool St for Crossrail when it opens, or two tube trains.
LGW: Walking distance (15-20mins) to London Bridge, and one train to Gatwick
FlyerTalker39574 and BearX220 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K(until 2024), MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by james_yuen
On average: probably Fenchurch Street actually!

LCY: Walking distance (10mins) to Bank and one train, or from Fenchurch St -> Limehouse -> (DLR) LCY
STN: Walking distance (10mins) to Liverpool St and one train to Stansted
LHR: Not great, but walking distance (5mins) to Aldgate to Paddington, and Heathrow Express. Alternatively: Liverpool St for Crossrail when it opens, or two tube trains.
LGW: Walking distance (15-20mins) to London Bridge, and one train to Gatwick
Which perfectly illustrates the fundamental flaw in the question: Fenchurch Street is the winner but nobody lives there!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is there a reason why we're excluding the other 2 London airports from the calculation (LTN and SEN)?

I think my answer would be Farringdon - apart from Southend, I think you can get to all 5 other airports with only one change of train (or onto the bus for LTN).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Numb3rs
What station in London Central would have the quickest travel time to LHR, STN, LCY and LGW on average?
I am going into a new job where I will be travelling 2 times a week. It can be from any 4 of the airports but if I had rank the airports from most to least trips per year it would be:
LCY
STN
LHR
LGW
Are their flights to your destinations from all 4 airports?
Each airport will have a different mix of airlines/schedules.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Confirmed
soon to be Farringdon?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Confirmed
If mostly LCY, look at a flat near royal docks then.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Just get 4 small places, one by each airport. Probably will cost the same as a big place in central London.

Problem solved. You're welcome.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
This is a really bad way to choose where to live in London
Maybe for you. We all have differing priorities. The OP did not ask us to judge his/her priorities, but rather to assist in implementing the priorities already determined.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.