Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

MAN connecting question

MAN connecting question

Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Question MAN connecting question

Newbie here, asking on behalf of sister.
Two separate tickets:
1. UA 81 from EWR to MAN arriving at 6:15a.m.
2. Aer Lingus 203 MAN-DUB leaving at 8:10a.m.
Will she have to exit customs and go through security again for her next flight?
Will she have enough time to connect?

Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
That is an extremely tight connection for separate tickets even with no checked bags, I highly doubt she'll make it. She'll have to go thru immigration in MAN on arrival. Why not EWR-DUB direct?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

YYCowboy, Thanks for the prompt response.
EWR-DUB non-stop is not available on her day of travel.
Should I ask her to change to 11:40a.m.flight?
(No idea that 2-hour at MAN is an extremely tight connection.)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I can't speak to the connecting bit. However, at 6:15AM immigration should be empty. I flew SQ IAH-MAN which gets in at that time. When I got to immigration the officer jokingly said "we been waiting for you guys".
ConciergeBrandon likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
In and of itself it's still ok given the early hour at immigration as JHake10 has said above, but UA81 is notorious for being late, in fact it's almost never on time and routinely departs/lands 1+ hour late. The B752 is a bit long in the tooth.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
YYCowboy, Thanks for the prompt response.
EWR-DUB non-stop is not available on her day of travel.
Should I ask her to change to 11:40a.m.flight?
(No idea that 2-hour at MAN is an extremely tight connection.)
When is this flight?

Under no circumstances would I be booking anything like what you've described beyond March 31 until and unless they hammer out a Brexit deal. I have no idea what procedures they could end up with for a International to UK to Schengen / EU transfer.

That said, the minimum connection time is listed as 1:15 for a transfer to EI, so if the UA flight is on time, and if there are no new regulations put in place about travel to Ireland, she'd probably make it. I'd take a later flight.

Note that UA will not interline bags to EI on a separate ticket, so if she has checked luggage, she would have to pick it up and re-check it.
etiene and ConciergeBrandon like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have done an international transfer between two different terminals at MAN without having to go through immigration, customs, or security. I already had the boarding pass for the connecting flight and I had no checked bags. I don't know if this feature is available for all connecting flights, of if iit even still exists. It was a long walk, there is no inter-terminal transport provided at MAN.

If it turns out that you do have to go through security, prepare for the worst experience, not just in the UK, but possibly in the world. Folks there are famous for being capricious and uncaring. They do things like routinely testing the .01 ounce of liquid in a contact lens case, as but one minor example.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, YYCowboy, jsloan, RichardInSF for the helpful advice.
I changed her MAN-DUB flight to 11:40a.m. for peace of mind.
jsloan, worldclubber and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
When is this flight?

Under no circumstances would I be booking anything like what you've described beyond March 31 until and unless they hammer out a Brexit deal. I have no idea what procedures they could end up with for a International to UK to Schengen / EU transfer.
Ireland isn’t part of the Schengen area, so the traveler would go through UK immigration at MAN and then travel to Dublin without any additional immigration checks since Ireland is part of the Common Travel Area. Since Brexit will be delayed, there will be no short-term changes.

(As a side note, there is no “connection” at MAN. The traveler ends one trip from EWR to MAN and starts another trip to DUB. If the traveler cannot check in online beforehand, the EI checkin cutoff is T-45)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
Thank you, YYCowboy, jsloan, RichardInSF for the helpful advice.
I changed her MAN-DUB flight to 11:40a.m. for peace of mind.
Thats definitely a good idea!

I was there two weeks ago and they had a training day for immigration officers, which meant I had to go through immigration at makeshift booths on an international to international connection. What they explained to me sounded like it was in preparation for a post-Brexit scenario.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GFrye

Ireland isnt part of the Schengen area, so the traveler would go through UK immigration at MAN and then travel to Dublin without any additional immigration checks since Ireland is part of the Common Travel Area. Since Brexit will be delayed, there will be no short-term changes.
Thank you for the correction. ^ I'd forgotten about that distinction, and it's definitely important.

As for a Brexit delay -- that certainly seems possible, given today's vote by the UK Parliament, but it wouldn't take effect without EU approval. However, what I've read is that the CTA agreement, because it's bilateral with Ireland and not part of the larger EU freedom of travel agreements, would carry through in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

That said, I still wouldn't try to make a separate-ticket transfer at MAN with two hours between flights, and I think the OP did the right thing by changing the second ticket.
ConciergeBrandon and GFrye like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
In the AM, immigration at MAN is okay. Small queues but still count 15mns minimum.

Security on the other hand, long queues and long process times. Unless you have a premium ticket you will want to buy a "fast track" or whatever they call it.

Finally since you made the right call and extended your ticket, there are lounges which you can book for a fee (again, if you dont have a premium ticket) so your sister can take it easy.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you, JHake 10, GFrye, worldclubber, Maestro Ramen.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
what I've read is that the CTA agreement, because it's bilateral with Ireland and not part of the larger EU freedom of travel agreements, would carry through in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
This is correct. The CTA has nothing to do with the EU and will not be changing.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
I can't speak to the connecting bit. However, at 6:15AM immigration should be empty. I flew SQ IAH-MAN which gets in at that time. When I got to immigration the officer jokingly said "we been waiting for you guys".
I fly that flight a lot and immigration is rarely empty and more often it takes over 30 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.