Channel Islands

Old Mar 12, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Channel Islands

Hello! I have a business trip in Paris the first week of April, and was thinking about staying an extra weekend to check out the Channel Islands (Guernsey and Jersey). I can't decide whether it would be better to rent a car in Paris and drive to the coast to catch the ferry, or just to fly to Jersey and then take inter-island ferries from there. Seems like it would be nice to have a car to go exploring, but I'm sure I can make it around with taxis and buses also. Has anyone been? Any advice on where to stay and which islands to stop by? Sark looks charming (and car-free!) so that's in the running. Though would it be too cold in early April to enjoy riding a bike around the island? I will probably have 2 or 3 nights to work with total. Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:12 am

Whilst the islands are physically very close to France, most transport links operate to the UK - not France. So far as I can see, there are no direct flights from Paris to any of the CI. I suspect the logistics for this jaunt will be more awkward than you think.
There is a daily ferry from St Malo. If you choose that option, I'd take the train from Paris.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:18 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC silver
I live in Jersey. The islands are delightful and definitely worth the trip. You could do Jersey and Guernsey over 2-3 nights quite easily - Sark would probably be more of a challenge to fit in too, although not impossible. The only way from Paris is to take the fast train (TGV) to Saint-Malo (3 hours) and then the Condor ferry (1 hour). You won’t be able to bring a French hire car across on the ferry, and car hire in the islands is easy and cheap.

The weather in April should be mild and pleasant, although be prepare for showers! The islands have lovely scenery, great restaurants and cafes and plenty of places to stay. PM me if I can help with any recommendations!
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:23 am

Hi,I have an interest of visiting Jersey next May/june.
is it possible to stay in one hotel in Jersey and do day walks, visit ww2 sites by bus or do I need to rent a car?
What would there be the best place to base outselves for the above.
We,ll be flying in and out with BA via Gatwick.
I did try the info bureau w but did not get great info .
thanks in advance
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Obviously, a hire car is easier, but Jersey has an excellent bus network. Have a look at https://www.libertybus.je/ for details, and to get an idea of frequencies for the various spots you're planning on visiting. They also have a (very cheap) folding bike hire scheme if you want to go little further off their routes.

This handy map shows the main hotels on the island, and the bus routes they find themselves on. Predictably enough, the network is centred on St Helier, but St Aubin and St Brelade (IMO the nicer places to stay in) aren't badly served.
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:15 am
jmd

Originally Posted by ozflier View Post
Hi,I have an interest of visiting Jersey next May/june.
is it possible to stay in one hotel in Jersey and do day walks, visit ww2 sites by bus or do I need to rent a car?
What would there be the best place to base outselves for the above.
We,ll be flying in and out with BA via Gatwick.
I did try the info bureau w but did not get great info .
thanks in advance
Don’t stay in St Helier if you can possibly avoid it - look for options in St Aubin or St Brelade’s Bay. The nicest hotels are the Atlantic, L’Horizon and Longueville Manor. It would be a good idea to rent a car - car hire is cheap and easy, and it will allow you to explore the north and west of the island where the scenery is amazing and the bus service is poor. PM me if you need any recommendations
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:17 pm

Thank you .
Are you suggesting that we could drive to spots on the coast and do some walks from where we park the car.
Sounds good.
Old Nov 24, 19, 2:59 pm
jmd

Originally Posted by ozflier View Post
Thank you .
Are you suggesting that we could drive to spots on the coast and do some walks from where we park the car.
Sounds good.
Yes - there are quite a few lovely walks that you can do like this. The north coast is the place to go - there is a very well marked (and safe) and mostly empty cliff path along much of the north coast with amazing views and a succession of pretty bays. The buses up there are of the once every 2 hour variety so you really need to have a car. Please message me closer to the time and I am happy to suggest routes and nice places to stop and eat or drink etc. If you like walks, seafood and deserted sandy bays then you are going to like Jersey a lot.
Old Nov 24, 19, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by jmd View Post
Yes - there are quite a few lovely walks that you can do like this. The north coast is the place to go - there is a very well marked (and safe) and mostly empty cliff path along much of the north coast with amazing views and a succession of pretty bays. The buses up there are of the once every 2 hour variety so you really need to have a car. Please message me closer to the time and I am happy to suggest routes and nice places to stop and eat or drink etc. If you like walks, seafood and deserted sandy bays then you are going to like Jersey a lot.
Thank you so much - will be in contact.
Old Mar 2, 20, 12:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I too will now be making a long weekend trip to guernsey and jersey in April due to cancellation of Asia trip. Can one take a car in the ferry between the islands? Iím flying into GCI and out of JER, hoping I can do a one way rental? The Atlantic is a SLH so Iíll stay there to earn WOH points. Any lodging suggestions on Guernsey?
Old Mar 2, 20, 2:02 pm
jmd

Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
I too will now be making a long weekend trip to guernsey and jersey in April due to cancellation of Asia trip. Can one take a car in the ferry between the islands? Iím flying into GCI and out of JER, hoping I can do a one way rental? The Atlantic is a SLH so Iíll stay there to earn WOH points. Any lodging suggestions on Guernsey?
There is no chance of a one way rental - they wonít let you take the rental car out of Guernsey. This is not least because you wonít be insured to drive the Guernsey car in Jersey - they are completely separate jurisdictions. Ditch the car in Guernsey and fly to Jersey - it is only ten minutes in the air and much easier than the ferry.

The Atlantic is absolutely lovely. Guernsey is a bit shorter on nice boutique options - try the Bella Luce or Old Government House.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: