Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR gate to exit timing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

LHR gate to exit timing?

About how long should it take from arrival at gates 13-22 or 30-42 in Terminal 3 to walk to passport control, baggage claim and then exit that area? Assume no time for passport control or baggage.

Page 4 of https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T3_Map.pdf shows 20 minute walks to those gates for departure, but I'm not sure where they're measuring from and that page is departures rather than arrivals.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It really depends how fast a walker you are, and how crowded the passageways are. If nobody was slowing me down, it would take me less than 10 minutes if I didn't have to stop at Immigration and I didn't have to claim a suitcase. In more normal circumstances, it would probably be 15 minutes. If you are a slow walker, perhaps 20 but you'd have to be very slow.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
How do you know you won't be arriving at gates 1-11? If you were really in a hurry and didn't need to pause to look at signs etc. I would agree that from the furthest gate you can make it to the arrivals in just over 10 minutes.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make it 15 if a few flights arrive simultaneously and the corridors get congested.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Make it 15 if a few flights arrive simultaneously and the corridors get congested.
Precisely what has already been said.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
How do you know you won't be arriving at gates 1-11? If you were really in a hurry and didn't need to pause to look at signs etc. I would agree that from the furthest gate you can make it to the arrivals in just over 10 minutes.
I've been monitoring the flight for a while now and it has never arrived at 1-11 for any day that I looked. I realize that's no guarantee.

FWIW, we're ordering a car service and I'm trying to figure out how long after landing we might get out of immigration/customs/baggage claim for a 7am landing on a Wednesday. We won't be checking bags and should get fast track immigration, although time through immigration is harder for me to predict.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just tell the company the scheduled time and the flight number your flight lands and they will sort it out on the day based on the actual arrival time rather than a specific time. They will monitor the flight and adjust themselves accordingly.

The company I use meets me in arrivals 30 minutes after the flight has actually landed. Even with some long terminal walks and having to wait for luggage I often beat them to the meeting point (though I have a UK passport and fly in J so that speeds things up for me).
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Just tell the company the scheduled time and the flight number your flight lands and they will sort it out on the day based on the actual arrival time rather than a specific time. They will monitor the flight and adjust themselves accordingly.

The company I use meets me in arrivals 30 minutes after the flight has actually landed. Even with some long terminal walks and having to wait for luggage I often beat them to the meeting point (though I have a UK passport and fly in J so that speeds things up for me).
The one I'm leaning towards (blackberry cars) monitors flights and adjusts, but asks how long after actual arrival they should be there. I haven't been checking landing to exit time in the past, but we fly in J, don't check baggage and often only see a short line at passport control due to fast track from J (although that can be quite variable), so 30 minutes seems a bit long. If it actually took 20 minutes to walk from gate to arrivals, 30 minutes would seem about right. They also build in a hour of free waiting time, so while I don't want to have a driver waste time standing there, perhaps specifying 15 minutes makes sense??
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
The one I'm leaning towards (blackberry cars) monitors flights and adjusts, but asks how long after actual arrival they should be there.
Throw it right back at them and say they probably have a better idea than you, just explain you've no luggage, are in J and won't be stopping anywhere on the way.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Throw it right back at them and say they probably have a better idea than you, just explain you've no luggage, are in J and won't be stopping anywhere on the way.
Not a bad idea.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
About how long should it take from arrival at gates 13-22 or 30-42 in Terminal 3 to walk to passport control, baggage claim and then exit that area? Assume no time for passport control or baggage.

Page 4 of https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T3_Map.pdf shows 20 minute walks to those gates for departure, but I'm not sure where they're measuring from and that page is departures rather than arrivals.
Will you have fastrack access? If yes I did gate to walking outside 3 in 12 minutes. This was morning arrival. I would imagine by looking at the line of hundreds in the non fastrack line the gate to exit time would be over an hour at least.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:52 am
Original Poster

LHR Passport Control Timing?

I had a related question on how long it would take to get through immigration / passport control: LHR passport control timing?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:41 pm

I had a related question on how long it would take to get through immigration / passport control: LHR passport control timing?
You've been given an answer to your question ("tell the car service what flight you're on and what time it arrives and let them sort it out") and it's really good advice. There's a reason most car services wait to dispatch a car until you're completely ready to leave and charge a hefty surcharge for meet-and-greet.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
You've been given an answer to your question ("tell the car service what flight you're on and what time it arrives and let them sort it out") and it's really good advice. There's a reason most car services wait to dispatch a car until you're completely ready to leave and charge a hefty surcharge for meet-and-greet.
It was good advice. Unfortunately, they did not have a good answer. They do not have a hefty surcharge for meet-and-greet, so I have to pick an amount of time from when the flight arrives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.