Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR gate to exit timing?

LHR gate to exit timing?

Reply

Old Mar 12, 19, 5:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,513
LHR gate to exit timing?

About how long should it take from arrival at gates 13-22 or 30-42 in Terminal 3 to walk to passport control, baggage claim and then exit that area? Assume no time for passport control or baggage.

Page 4 of https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T3_Map.pdf shows 20 minute walks to those gates for departure, but I'm not sure where they're measuring from and that page is departures rather than arrivals.
richarddd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Bronze
Posts: 7,577
It really depends how fast a walker you are, and how crowded the passageways are. If nobody was slowing me down, it would take me less than 10 minutes if I didn't have to stop at Immigration and I didn't have to claim a suitcase. In more normal circumstances, it would probably be 15 minutes. If you are a slow walker, perhaps 20 but you'd have to be very slow.
lhrsfo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 10:12 am
  #3  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
Posts: 3,934
How do you know you won't be arriving at gates 1-11? If you were really in a hurry and didn't need to pause to look at signs etc. I would agree that from the furthest gate you can make it to the arrivals in just over 10 minutes.
:D! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 4:33 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,632
Make it 15 if a few flights arrive simultaneously and the corridors get congested.
Swanhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 4:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Bronze
Posts: 7,577
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Make it 15 if a few flights arrive simultaneously and the corridors get congested.
Precisely what has already been said.
lhrsfo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:33 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,513
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
How do you know you won't be arriving at gates 1-11? If you were really in a hurry and didn't need to pause to look at signs etc. I would agree that from the furthest gate you can make it to the arrivals in just over 10 minutes.
I've been monitoring the flight for a while now and it has never arrived at 1-11 for any day that I looked. I realize that's no guarantee.

FWIW, we're ordering a car service and I'm trying to figure out how long after landing we might get out of immigration/customs/baggage claim for a 7am landing on a Wednesday. We won't be checking bags and should get fast track immigration, although time through immigration is harder for me to predict.
richarddd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:18 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Posts: 9,381
Just tell the company the scheduled time and the flight number your flight lands and they will sort it out on the day based on the actual arrival time rather than a specific time. They will monitor the flight and adjust themselves accordingly.

The company I use meets me in arrivals 30 minutes after the flight has actually landed. Even with some long terminal walks and having to wait for luggage I often beat them to the meeting point (though I have a UK passport and fly in J so that speeds things up for me).
UKtravelbear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:00 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,513
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Just tell the company the scheduled time and the flight number your flight lands and they will sort it out on the day based on the actual arrival time rather than a specific time. They will monitor the flight and adjust themselves accordingly.

The company I use meets me in arrivals 30 minutes after the flight has actually landed. Even with some long terminal walks and having to wait for luggage I often beat them to the meeting point (though I have a UK passport and fly in J so that speeds things up for me).
The one I'm leaning towards (blackberry cars) monitors flights and adjusts, but asks how long after actual arrival they should be there. I haven't been checking landing to exit time in the past, but we fly in J, don't check baggage and often only see a short line at passport control due to fast track from J (although that can be quite variable), so 30 minutes seems a bit long. If it actually took 20 minutes to walk from gate to arrivals, 30 minutes would seem about right. They also build in a hour of free waiting time, so while I don't want to have a driver waste time standing there, perhaps specifying 15 minutes makes sense??
richarddd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,721
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
The one I'm leaning towards (blackberry cars) monitors flights and adjusts, but asks how long after actual arrival they should be there.
Throw it right back at them and say they probably have a better idea than you, just explain you've no luggage, are in J and won't be stopping anywhere on the way.
ft101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:00 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,513
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Throw it right back at them and say they probably have a better idea than you, just explain you've no luggage, are in J and won't be stopping anywhere on the way.
Not a bad idea.
richarddd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:15 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Irving, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 16,295
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
About how long should it take from arrival at gates 13-22 or 30-42 in Terminal 3 to walk to passport control, baggage claim and then exit that area? Assume no time for passport control or baggage.

Page 4 of https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T3_Map.pdf shows 20 minute walks to those gates for departure, but I'm not sure where they're measuring from and that page is departures rather than arrivals.
Will you have fastrack access? If yes I did gate to walking outside 3 in 12 minutes. This was morning arrival. I would imagine by looking at the line of hundreds in the non fastrack line the gate to exit time would be over an hour at least.
enviroian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:52 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,513
LHR Passport Control Timing?

I had a related question on how long it would take to get through immigration / passport control: LHR passport control timing?
richarddd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:41 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
I had a related question on how long it would take to get through immigration / passport control: LHR passport control timing?
You've been given an answer to your question ("tell the car service what flight you're on and what time it arrives and let them sort it out") and it's really good advice. There's a reason most car services wait to dispatch a car until you're completely ready to leave and charge a hefty surcharge for meet-and-greet.
TribalistMeathead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:53 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,513
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
You've been given an answer to your question ("tell the car service what flight you're on and what time it arrives and let them sort it out") and it's really good advice. There's a reason most car services wait to dispatch a car until you're completely ready to leave and charge a hefty surcharge for meet-and-greet.
It was good advice. Unfortunately, they did not have a good answer. They do not have a hefty surcharge for meet-and-greet, so I have to pick an amount of time from when the flight arrives.
richarddd is online now  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread