Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Oddball currency questions

Old Mar 8, 19, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi all -
My wife, son, and I are planning on making our almost-annual trip to Oxfordshire to visit her family in May. We are fortunate enough to have found a marvelous landlady through AirBnB who's allowed us to book directly through her on subsequent trips. We pay her in cash on arrival, and the last time we did this, I paid her with a stack of 20-pound notes I'd obtained from an ATM at a nearby Tesco. This time, we are staying twice as long, which means I'd be turning over a stack of 20-pound notes that's twice as large, and I'd really prefer to pay her in larger bills. If I obtained cash from an ATM on arrival and walked into a bank branch, would I be able to exchange a stack of 20-pound notes for a smaller stack of, say, 100-pound notes?
Also, since I'm asking about currency, we have some of the old 1-pound coins that were taken out of circulation shortly after our last visit (September 2017). Is it too late to exchange those for the new coins? If not, where would we go to exchange them?
Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You can't exchange twenties for hundred-pound notes ... because the largest banknote is £50. You should be able to get some at a bank. You can exchange your old, round one-pound coins for new dodecagonal ones at the same bank.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I really wouldn't worry too much about the number of notes or changing them up to 50's

£50 whilst not rare are not really in common usage over here and generally generate mild confusion in shops etc if you proffer one to the assistant.

I really can't remember the last time I saw a £50 note in the flesh.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
You can't exchange twenties for hundred-pound notes ... because the largest banknote is £50. You should be able to get some at a bank. You can exchange your old, round one-pound coins for new dodecagonal ones at the same bank.
Ah, thanks; I could've sworn I've had a 100-pound note in my possession at one point in my life, but that would be impossible according to Wikipedia.

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I really wouldn't worry too much about the number of notes or changing them up to 50's

£50 whilst not rare are not really in common usage over here and generally generate mild confusion in shops etc if you proffer one to the assistant.

I really can't remember the last time I saw a £50 note in the flesh.
There's just something...low class...about handing off a stack of 20-pound notes (in this case, 42 of them) to our landlady to pay our rent. But if it's only going to cause trouble for her at her bank when she tries to deposit 16 50-pound notes and 2 20-pound notes, well, I guess I'll just have to be low class!

I suppose I could also ask if she accepts payment by other means. Giving cash to my sister-in-law and having her write a check to our landlady would be more trouble than it would be worth.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:37 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You do get £100 notes. Just not in England.

farci and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
Ah, thanks; I could've sworn I've had a 100-pound note in my possession at one point in my life, but that would be impossible according to Wikipedia.
Not if you were in Scotland or Northern Ireland. I probably should have qualified my previous reply, but I have a feeling you'd get more than a funny look if you tried to pay for an AirBnB in England with a Scottish £100 note.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Can't you pay her by (international) bank transfer? Or PayPal? The latter has some fees, but the former, especially through Transferwise, may make sense for such an amount
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Someone beat me to the point about Scottish £100 notes!

Nonetheless, I concur with others - no-one really wants £50 notes let alone £100 notes - they are practically unusable in most transactions.

If you have a long-standing relationship with this woman, have you considered electronic payment? If not by IBAN transfer, by PayPal for example.

EDIT - And in typing Iíve been beaten to the PayPal point too!
skywardhunter and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Scots_Al; Mar 8, 19 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing whatsoever "low class" about 20's any more than 50's. In any event, 42 of a banknote is hardly many in the sense that they are hard to place in an envelope and hand over.

I presume that the cash transaction is because she does not report the income and thus, other methods of payment are less convenient for her.
:D!, Ldnn1 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Also thinking about this most bank ATMs will only dispense £200 per day per card (well that's the limit for my bank) so you'd likely be making a few trips so electronic transfer would get around that
Old Mar 8, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Also thinking about this most bank ATMs will only dispense £200 per day per card (well that's the limit for my bank) so you'd likely be making a few trips so electronic transfer would get around that
Thatíd be a limit of your card rather than the ATM (my current account allows £350/day ATM withdrawals, for example).
Old Mar 8, 19, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When I have changed money back at the travelex bureau de change at LHR ( I order online with a buyback guarantee at the purchase rate) I often get English £50 notes but I put them straighr into the bank.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 8, 19, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
You can exchange your old, round one-pound coins for new dodecagonal ones at the same bank.
Are you sure this is correct? I had read in many places that UK banks would only accept round pounds for deposit by their customers and that, even then, banks could impose their own limits. I suppose OP could trade them with his sister-in-law for current money and have her deposit them at her bank, if she's willing.
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick View Post
Are you sure this is correct? I had read in many places that UK banks would only accept round pounds for deposit by their customers and that, even then, banks could impose their own limits. I suppose OP could trade them with his sister-in-law for current money and have her deposit them at her bank, if she's willing.
The article I just read says that I could take them to a Post Office.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: