Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Oddball currency questions

Oddball currency questions

Old Apr 2, 19, 8:37 am
Original Poster

So I looked through our UK spare change last night and discovered we have a little over 10 worth. Of that, we have 2 old 1 coins. Definitely going to exchange at a Post Office, since paying a 1.50 fee to exchange them at a currency exchange would not be a wise use of money.
Old Apr 2, 19, 3:58 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
Of that, we have 2 old 1 coins. Definitely going to exchange at a Post Office, since paying a 1.50 fee to exchange them at a currency exchange would not be a wise use of money.
Which currency exchange charges 1.50 to exchange old pound coins? If you're referring to the following quoted post, it says that the 1.50 fee was for notes.

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook View Post
I just got back from London and had some recalled coins and notes. The airport currency xchange charged me 1.5 pounds to exchange all my notes. They wouldnt take the old pound coins.

Originally Posted by stut View Post
Scottish notes generally get accepted, sometimes with a little encouragement ("it's that or nothing, pal"), although the new Clydesdale notes are a lot harder to spend.
TfL machines and supermarket self-checkouts seem to accept them without any fuss, but I usually just put them in the bank, as the self-deposit machines take them (including older issues of the paper 5 and 10). Gibraltar notes seem to be a problem at some banks now, but Metro Bank took them as well as a Falklands 5.

My friend tried to deposit a St Helena note at Barclays, which was initially accepted but the branch called him a few days later to try and make him take it back. He made a complaint feigning that he couldn't be sure that the note they were trying to return to him was the one he had deposited, and they compensated him 80. It's a wonder they haven't closed his account.

I've found that in the Channel Islands, most people ask you if you want English notes in change if you're a non-islander.
I haven't, I usually get Jersey notes back when I pay by Jersey notes in Jersey. However I don't use BOE notes in Jersey as that defeats the point of going to Jersey... (for me at least)
Old Apr 2, 19, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Which currency exchange charges 1.50 to exchange old pound coins? If you're referring to the following quoted post, it says that the 1.50 fee was for notes.
You are right, the fee was for notes. A currency exchange wouldn't even be an option.
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
So I looked through our UK spare change last night and discovered we have a little over 10 worth. Of that, we have 2 old 1 coins. Definitely going to exchange at a Post Office, since paying a 1.50 fee to exchange them at a currency exchange would not be a wise use of money.
In my case, I was only in the UK during non business hours. For me at least, it was worth paying 1.50 to exchange them. It might be several years before I get back to UK, and maybe by then the banks might not be exchanging them.
Old Apr 3, 19, 3:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I haven't, I usually get Jersey notes back when I pay by Jersey notes in Jersey. However I don't use BOE notes in Jersey as that defeats the point of going to Jersey... (for me at least)
Maybe I blend in less than you Although I have to say, I saw this much more on Guernsey than Jersey.

And I do like the Jersey notes too, if only for the cow watermark!
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Sorry to keep everyone on the edge of their seat, but here are the end results:

(1) Host allowed us to pay for our stay via bank transfer through TransferWise. The rates were very, very reasonable.

(2) The local Post Office would not exchange the old pound coins, they would only allow me to make a purchase with them. I purchased postage to mail postcards to our nieces back in the US.

Thanks, all!
Up In The Air likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: