Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Small town outside London.

Small town outside London.

Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Excellent suggestion too - could also hop on the train to Portsmouth for some maritime history.
Yes indeed, the Dockyard is a great place to visit, particularly if you take the boat tour. You can combine with a visit to the Spinnaker tower, or even head over to the Isle of Wight for a fantastic experience of Britain in the 1950s.

(The crossing is a curiosity on its own right. The ferry from Portsmouth Harbour takes you to the end of a pier, where you're met by a 1938 London Underground train. Alternatively, you can take what I think is the world's last scheduled hovercraft service from Southsea...)
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Horsham might be a good base with direct trains to Chichester, Bognor etc.
You can even get the train from Horsham to Biggleswade these days!

Er, don't do that, though.
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Shere is nice. Dover is a real dump.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. We decided to not venture out of the Metro area and will go over to Richmond for our last couple of nights. Check out Kew and Windsor and the Park. Found a nice rental on the Thames and I'll play a round of golf in the area, perhaps.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
[/left]
I almost recommended Stratford upon Avon myself, as it's a really lovely town. I remember it being a bit of a pain to get to from London so I didn't mention in the end, but it's a really beautiful and peaceful place.
I thought of that too. The town is lovely--IIRC we had dinner in the restaurant in Hotel du Vin--but it can be mobbed with tourists, so one needs to be careful about the dates. Moreover, I think of it as closer and more accessible from Birmingham than London, but that could just be my incorrect perception as I went from Birmingham (which is a surprisingly lovely city).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Birmingham (which is a surprisingly lovely city).
Telly Savalas agrees!

Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
If you were/are a Rhoald Dahl fan you could visit Great Missenden which is around an hour outside London by train. I take all my guests there and they just love it, the village is very 'English' and all the pubs serve a good roast lunch. Thinking the Rhoald Dahl Museum & Story Centre could be fun for your toddler as well.

Would agree with the people who have recommended Kew Gardens as well.

Avoid Cambridge - far too busy for my liking. Brighton is okay but again, very busy and wheeling pushchair around could be bothersome.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
Thanks all. We decided to not venture out of the Metro area and will go over to Richmond for our last couple of nights. Check out Kew and Windsor and the Park. Found a nice rental on the Thames and I'll play a round of golf in the area, perhaps.
since you're in the area Runnymede might be worth a couple of hours of your time. It's where the manga carta was signed.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
It's where the manga carta was signed.
The Japanese graphic novel version of the Great Charter.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
ajGoes likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.