Search

Which airport is the UK's best?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Which airport is the UK's best?

Hands up if you agree with the considered opinion of Travel Weekly, who chose (yet again)
Manchester International Airport

Lord knows the factors they consider, apart from sponsorship

Maybe:
  • the particularly rigorous approach to security inspection
  • the novel up and down stairs passengers particularly enjoy in T1
  • non-working, never-working and perpetually under-maintenance travelators and escalators
  • nasty paper boarding slips
  • classy lounges
  • the toilets serving T1's classy lounges
  • access fees for motorists
  • the public address system in T2 which simply creates noise with the (very) occasional recognisable word
other airports may share some of these features but I think only Manchester brings them together

https://mediacentre.manchesterairpor...year-in-a-row/
Up In The Air and Ismilee like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
That is insane and can only be explained by insanity or corruption. MAN would be on my list of worst UK airports.

I have a possibly slightly irrational affection for LBA, hub of Yorkshire Airways, but security has always been super quick, and cheerful and it is just the most odd airport to get to, up a tiny leafy lane with dry stones walls.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
voted for by travel agents who will have different criteria for voting for these things than the general public will have

other winners listed here

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...ist-of-winners
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:33 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Manchester?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahaha
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to all the points raised above, on my last departure from MAN-SFO on Virgin Atlantic, they held a secondary security check at the gate and the gate led to an outdoor stairs walk-up to the plane -- for a wide-body long-haul international flight!!

That's the farewell that, along with earlier bad experiences at security, led me to rule future MAN departures out forever.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
voted for by travel agents who will have different criteria for voting for these things than the general public will have

other winners listed here

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...ist-of-winners

Interesting to note from that link that a number of the organisations sponsoring award categories are themselves winners in other categories:

Thus P&O were best ferry company, and sponsored the "On the Move" section where G-Adventures won best adventure operator, and they in turn sponsored ...... (you get the picture )
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In addition to all the points raised above, on my last departure from MAN-SFO on Virgin Atlantic, they held a secondary security check at the gate and the gate led to an outdoor stairs walk-up to the plane -- for a wide-body long-haul international flight!!

That's the farewell that, along with earlier bad experiences at security, led me to rule future MAN departures out forever.
Hi,

To be fair at London Heathrow I have hsd several packed bus journeys to a remote stand then walking up the steps to a BA 747-400. ( on the other hand if you are outside you appreciate just how large the 747 is.)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:07 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

That's because half of the contact gates in T2 are unavailable due to the terminal upgrade. The first part of the upgrade opens in April.

You seriously have never had to walk up stairs for an international flight before? If happens at all UK airports and most of the other airports I travel to.
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Exec club
To add to the combo they selected jet2.com as best short haul airline ....they only flight to touristy places!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's because half of the contact gates in T2 are unavailable due to the terminal upgrade. The first part of the upgrade opens in April.

You seriously have never had to walk up stairs for an international flight before? If happens at all UK airports and most of the other airports I travel to.
Never for a long haul or a wide-body. Maybe I live a charmed life except at MAN. Another reason to avoid the place!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Interesting to note from that link that a number of the organisations sponsoring award categories are themselves winners in other categories:

Thus P&O were best ferry company, and sponsored the "On the Move" section where G-Adventures won best adventure operator, and they in turn sponsored ...... (you get the picture )
So many industry awards are set up for a bit of backslapping. I used to take notice of them until I worked out how the EMEA CIO at a company I worked for targeted these to build his profile. I then also found out he used the internal marketing team to bolster his chances of winning!!

But also these surveys/awards can be weird. I hate how Which? has some tiny airline at number one because 49 people all rated it good, but 10,000 people who rate BA as ok, doesn't have any weighting.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:12 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Never for a long haul or a wide-body. Maybe I live a charmed life except at MAN. Another reason to avoid the place!
Ironic, therefore, that the only time it’s happened to me (on arrival rather than departure, which is worse in my mind) was on a LH 747 at SFO!

It didn’t make me want to avoid the airport.

Manchester though? *Shudder*.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Thats not unusual for a departure from any European airport.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve had a remote stand at HKG, SIN, DXB and DOH, arguably some of the best in the world. I think the challenged with MAN are a lot wider than that, but security seems to create a tremendous amount of upset.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The only problem I have with LHR is the heat. They do not a/c the building cool enough if at all. It's miserable in there at any time of the year. I've never connected there so I can't comment any further. I have arrived and left LHR over 100 times in my lifetime.

I used to only travel to LGW as the fares were cheaper and all the majors (except AA and UA if memory serves) flew there plus it was closer to Kent. Now it's a charter airport for all intent purposes and I don't believe there are any US-LGW services anymore.

I connected once and once only/never again in MANCHESTER. Oh my ...what a effing s-hole this is. There is little to zero connection signage and within 5 minutes I found myself outside on the curb (!!) and had to re-clear security.

The security rules are borderline absurd. They want everything remotely liquid (my asthma inhalers, little secured contact lens cups --new ones, and deodorant). They will yank anything out with question >100 mls and as recently as this past Christmas I was told I can only have ONE BAG to use for my toiletries.

I flew into EDI too I forgot about that. That was fairly painless. The view on approach over the harbor/bay is beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.