London Fry-ups?

Old Jan 10, 19, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

London Fry-ups?

Fun question for everyone:

Where does anyone recommend a good Fry-up in London? I'll be in town in June near Euston station. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 19, 1:23 pm

Do you want a posh fry-up (i.e. brunch) or a greasy spoon fry-up?

For the former - Caravan, Granary Square Brasserie and Dishoom are all excellent choices for brunch in Granary Square, which is walkable from Euston.
Old Jan 10, 19, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Do you want a posh fry-up (i.e. brunch) or a greasy spoon fry-up?

For the former - Caravan, Granary Square Brasserie and Dishoom are all excellent choices for brunch in Granary Square, which is walkable from Euston.
I've seen those listed on "Best" list but a little posh. I grew up middle of nowhere Indiana so great greasy spoon seems to fit what I'm looking for. Like £7 range.
Old Jan 10, 19, 1:44 pm

Thereís a place here which looks to fit the bill, although Iíve not tried it: https://goo.gl/maps/6ypG4ZyyScy

There are lots of other cafťs as well around Tavistock Place - itís a very studenty area with UCL nearby so you could have a wander and if you see a place with lots of hungover-looking students in itíll probably be a good shout for a fry-up.
Old Jan 10, 19, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

That certainly looks to fit the bill. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 19, 6:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
What distinguishes a proper fry-up IMO is fried bread and many of the fancier places don't offer it. One that does is the Cafe Delight on North End Road in Hammersmith. It's cramped and often crowded but the food is good, inexpensive and delivered promptly. Their Full English will keep you going for the entire day.

My method of determining if a UK breakfast spot is any good is the number of workers wearing fluorescent vests eating there. Lots of blaze orange usually means a good breakfast.
Old Jan 11, 19, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
What distinguishes a proper fry-up IMO is fried bread and many of the fancier places don't offer it. One that does is the Cafe Delight on North End Road in Hammersmith. It's cramped and often crowded but the food is good, inexpensive and delivered promptly. Their Full English will keep you going for the entire day.

My method of determining if a UK breakfast spot is any good is the number of workers wearing fluorescent vests eating there. Lots of blaze orange usually means a good breakfast.
Excellent. Ill see about venturing out there. I love going places that the locals will. While in Scotland last year, I asked the front desk worker where to get some fish and chips. Being a Premier Inn he suggested the Beefeater attached. I then rephrased to "Where would you get fish and chips?". I was then directed to a great place about a half mile away. So much better.
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:26 am

That may be so, but I certainly wouldn't bother venturing all the way from Euston to Hammersmith just for a fry up!
Old Jan 12, 19, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Itís not a greasy spoon but the best full English Iíve had in London is Hawksmoor Guildhall.
Old Jan 12, 19, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
If youíre at Euston, you might as well just jump on a train to Glasgow for a proper Scottish breakfast, with tattie scones, Stornaway black pudding and haggis.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, British Airways Avios, Marriott Rewards
Near Euston, I'd take a walk around Somerstown. A wander up Chalton Street should identify some decent candidates for a good breakfast.

Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
One that does is the Cafe Delight on North End Road in Hammersmith.
Nice. About a 20 minute walk from my place. Sunday fry-up sorted.
Old Jan 12, 19, 1:46 pm

Tagging on to this, any suggestions for a place near Waterloo station? Fried bread preferred Black pudding would make my day.
Old Jan 12, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I hate to confess, but I had to Google "Fry-up"...Had it many a time but didn't recognize the term.
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've not tried it yet but the Regency Cafe near Victoria/Pimlico is meant to be good for a proper fry up:

https://goo.gl/maps/6mZxGhFbtw12

There's a number of YouTube videos about it too. A short ride down the Victoria Line from Euston area.
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
If there are any Premier Inns in Euston it might be worth your while having a fry-up in the restaurant they are in association with. Very good fried breakfasts to be had there - some as much as you want to eat and drink - at decent cost.
Scots_Al likes this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: