Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin passport control

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
Dublin passport control

I have a US passport and plan to arrive in Dublin on a weekday in early February from the US. The flight lands at 840 am.

How long does it take to clear immigration? Assuming I have no bags to check, do you think it is reasonable that I could be in the city by 1030 am assuming no flight delays?

also am I allowed to use the EU line (asking because Heathrow allows it)

thanks
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:13 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
In the city by 1030, I think unlikely unless you are one of the first off the plane and you take a taxi.

Heathrow doesn't allow Americans to use the EU line unless they are accompanying an EU citizen. It does allow Americans to use the electronic immigration gates.

Dublin AFAIK does not allow Americans to use electronic gates if their final destination is Ireland or the UK.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
In the city by 1030, I think unlikely unless you are one of the first off the plane and you take a taxi.

Heathrow doesn't allow Americans to use the EU line unless they are accompanying an EU citizen. It does allow Americans to use the electronic immigration gates.

Dublin AFAIK does not allow Americans to use electronic gates if their final destination is Ireland or the UK.
Thank you! I am flying coach, but will find a seat at the very first row. I am also planning to take a cab into the city. I hope it works out
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
I have a US passport and plan to arrive in Dublin on a weekday in early February from the US. The flight lands at 840 am.

How long does it take to clear immigration? Assuming I have no bags to check, do you think it is reasonable that I could be in the city by 1030 am assuming no flight delays?

also am I allowed to use the EU line (asking because Heathrow allows it)

thanks
First off, check your flight on Flightradar24 and how it performed the last few days to see what time it actually landed. Sometimes they land a little earlier.

I just came back from Dublin yesterday, and there are loads of Americans arriving in Dublin so you might be a little delayed unless they move US passport holders quickly (I'm not one). And we had a layover in Dublin en route to Edinburgh, so we didn't have to go through regular immigration to enter Ireland, just the connections immigration, which had almost no one because most people were entering Ireland directly. There might also be some traffic from the airport into the city in the morning, so that might also delay things for you. Keep Uber on your phone (it orders a regular taxi but you pay through your app instead of giving them cash). But I'd wager it's difficult to land at 8:40 and hope to be in the city by 10:30. Not impossible, but difficult.
hdoraisamy likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would be slightly more optimistic - it’s about 30 minutes into the centre of Dublin from the airport at that time of day, and indeed the provision of bus lanes means it can be almost as quick to use the express buses.

That gives you an hour and 20 minutes to get off the flight and through immigration in what is a fairly compact airport - it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes from aircraft door to immigration. I’d rate an hour’s clearance time as abnormal from what I’ve seen of queue lengths when arriving at the same time as a long haul - a US flight would likely be considered low risk for immigration issues given the close historical ties between the two countries.

So if on time, I’d give you an 80%+ chance of making it.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I would be slightly more optimistic - it’s about 30 minutes into the centre of Dublin from the airport at that time of day, and indeed the provision of bus lanes means it can be almost as quick to use the express buses.

That gives you an hour and 20 minutes to get off the flight and through immigration in what is a fairly compact airport - it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes from aircraft door to immigration. I’d rate an hour’s clearance time as abnormal from what I’ve seen of queue lengths when arriving at the same time as a long haul - a US flight would likely be considered low risk for immigration issues given the close historical ties between the two countries.

So if on time, I’d give you an 80%+ chance of making it.
Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.