Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

TFL Rail fare between LHR Terminal 3 and Ealing Broadway

Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

With Heathrow Connect becoming TFL Rail, how do I find out the TFL rail fare between LHR T3 and Ealing Broadway for my trip in the 3rd week of March?

Also, I have an Oyster card. If I can add the fare to the Oyster, will it go toward the daily cap if I choose to take the tube into Central London later that day?

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:16 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Single fare finder is here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder

The fare caps are here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/caps-and-travelcard-prices

Note that, while single fares to/from Heathrow on TfL Rail have special prices, the fare caps is simply the one for zone 6 (so, the same as if you took the Tube).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Great. Thank you!

The fare caps are here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/...velcard-prices

Note that, while single fares to/from Heathrow on TfL Rail have special prices, the fare caps is simply the one for zone 6 (so, the same as if you took the Tube).
It's great that TFL Rail (GWR?) to Ealing Broadway counts toward the daily cap.

Curious, let's suppose I were not interested in meeting a daily cap. I'm traveling solo:

Since the link you shared also showed me the Travelcard fares, if I were to buy a 7 day Travelcard for 40 (between Zones 1-3 as I'm staying near Ealing Common), could I put that Travelcard on my Oyster for convenience as I already have an Oyster?

Can I buy the 7 day Travelcard from a machine at either Ealing Broadway Rail or Ealing Common tube station?

Is there an advantage to getting a separate ticket as the TravelCard instead of putting it on my Oyster card assuming I can do it?

Is the 7 day Travelcard a Monday to Sunday card, is Day 1 the day I initially use the Travelcard, or is Day 1 the day I initially BUY the Travelcard from a ticket machine?

Does the Travelcard need to be validated?

Thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:53 pm

You can put the travelcard on the Oyster card online or at any station. It runs 7 days from when it's activated, and the balance can be used for extensions outside your zones. It only needs to be activated if it's on online purchase - this is done automatically when you use it at a nominated station.

Only advantage to a paper travelcard is if you want to take advantage of 2-for-1 offers. In this case, though, it needs to be issued by a rail company.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:07 am

Two points.
(1) The fares link will take you to the current price. There is a national rail fares increase in January (average about 3%) and that will cause daily cap prices to rise. It won't be exactly 3%, as these will be round to the nearest 10p
(2) The trains used to operate this service (formerly Connect) are a small, unique, fleet. They are increasingly unreliable, and service reductions / cancellations are more common than they should be. Have a plan B ready in case the service isn't working properly on your arrival day. New trains are sitting in the depot but they can't operate into the Heathrow tunnels yet (and virtually zero chance that will be resolved before you get here)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
once TFL have sorted the new fares they will update the fare finder and there will be two options for travelling pre and post the fare increase date but as you are here in March it's not really urgent for you.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:14 am

FWIW, both links above give both 2018 and 2019 prices.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
For what it's worth, we recently did this same stay (one week, presumably at the DoubleTree Ealing?), and if traveling off-peak the Tube option was pretty easy to/from LHR to Ealing Common. It does require a change of trains at Acton Town, but there are elevators to cross over to the other platform to head back out one stop on either line to Ealing Common. This has the advantage of not having to worry about schedules on TfL rail, and also is only 1.50 GBP. We were helped by arriving on a Sunday, departing on a Saturday morning, though the Saturday morning 05:48 Piccadilly train on Saturday morning was the most crowded of all four used to/from LHR. Ride time was about 30-40 minutes IIRC via Acton Town. Unless you're traveling very lightly, I'd assume you'd want to transfer from TfL Rail to District Line at Ealing Broadway to get down to Ealing Common, so you're looking at a change of trains either way. The walk from Ealing Broadway to the hotel was quite easy without luggage, but I would not have wanted to do that to/from the airport.

In five days travel to/from central London and around, we ended up hitting the 8.00 GBP cap each day. The arrival and departure days we didn't travel more than the one airport trip so just had to pay the 1.50 each for those two days.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by octr202
For what it's worth, we recently did this same stay (one week, presumably at the DoubleTree Ealing?), and if traveling off-peak the Tube option was pretty easy to/from LHR to Ealing Common. It does require a change of trains at Acton Town, but there are elevators to cross over to the other platform to head back out one stop on either line to Ealing Common. This has the advantage of not having to worry about schedules on TfL rail, and also is only 1.50 GBP. We were helped by arriving on a Sunday, departing on a Saturday morning, though the Saturday morning 05:48 Piccadilly train on Saturday morning was the most crowded of all four used to/from LHR. Ride time was about 30-40 minutes IIRC via Acton Town. Unless you're traveling very lightly, I'd assume you'd want to transfer from TfL Rail to District Line at Ealing Broadway to get down to Ealing Common, so you're looking at a change of trains either way. The walk from Ealing Broadway to the hotel was quite easy without luggage, but I would not have wanted to do that to/from the airport.

In five days travel to/from central London and around, we ended up hitting the 8.00 GBP cap each day. The arrival and departure days we didn't travel more than the one airport trip so just had to pay the 1.50 each for those two days.
Yes, the Doubletree. I've been there several times and like the property very much.

Going from LHR, I can no longer take the Piccadilly to Acton Town and transfer to Ealing Common because Ealing Common only has two sets of stairs. I have a spinal condition that will make carrying luggage up the stairs detrimental to my back.

My thought was to take the TFL Rail to Ealing Broadway and take a bus (I'd have to look at which one—I think there are at least 2) to the hotel. Has an escalator or elevator finally been installed at Ealing Broadway? If not by mid March, my plan to take the TFL won't happen.

I would then take the Piccadilly line to Acton Town and then a taxi. Sitting in a car is not ideal for my back and this is something I would only do if Ealing Broadway still only has the steps from platform to street.

Assuming escalator/elevator installation, if I can get the Travelcard at Ealing Broadway, I can begin using it on the bus.

Originally Posted by stut
You can put the travelcard on the Oyster card online or at any station. It runs 7 days from when it's activated, and the balance can be used for extensions outside your zones. It only needs to be activated if it's on online purchase - this is done automatically when you use it at a nominated station.

Only advantage to a paper travelcard is if you want to take advantage of 2-for-1 offers. In this case, though, it needs to be issued by a rail company.
Since I'll be buying the 7 day Travelcard at Ealing Broadway, I won't need to activate it from what you wrote above. Am I correct? Since it's just I, a 2 for 1 deal won't be needed. So I'll put it on the Oyster card. May I assume that at the ticket machine, there will be instructions to tap my Oyster card so that the Travelcard is added to it? It's akin to topping my Oyster at a ticket machine? Will any ticket machine at Ealing Broadway sell the 7 day Travelcard?

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
The trains used to operate this service (formerly Connect) are a small, unique, fleet. They are increasingly unreliable, and service reductions / cancellations are more common than they should be. Have a plan B ready in case the service isn't working properly on your arrival day. New trains are sitting in the depot but they can't operate into the Heathrow tunnels yet (and virtually zero chance that will be resolved before you get here)
So they aren't the same train cars at the ones used on the Heathrow Connect? Ok. May I assume one waits at the same platform as the former Heathrow Connect?

Before I buy a ticket on the TFL rail, is there an announcement board of some type that alerts passengers of delays and when the next train heading toward Ealing Broadway is to arrive?

Do all TFL Rail trains to Paddington (not HEX) stop at Ealing Broadway?

I know I have a lot of questions and I thank you for your time!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:46 pm

Trains. Yes : exactly the same trains / platforms as Connect. Just with different brand name stickers on the side. There are also GWR brand trains at Ealing Broadway into Paddington and you can use those too.
Travelcard. There is no concept of ticket validation on the UK rail system. So long as your ticket (including a travelcard loaded on oyster) covers the date you're using it, it's valid.
Lifts. There is a plan to install lifts at Ealing Broadway, but (like other aspects of the Crossrail project) this is delayed. They're not likely to be working before summer 2019.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
[QUOTE=Analise;30510248]Yes, the Doubletree. I've been there several times and like the property very much.

Going from LHR, I can no longer take the Piccadilly to Acton Town and transfer to Ealing Common because Ealing Common only has two sets of stairs. I have a spinal condition that will make carrying luggage up the stairs detrimental to my back.

My thought was to take the TFL Rail to Ealing Broadway and take a bus (I'd have to look at which oneI think there are at least 2) to the hotel. Has an escalator or elevator finally been installed at Ealing Broadway? If not by mid March, my plan to take the TFL won't happen.

I would then take the Piccadilly line to Acton Town and then a taxi. Sitting in a car is not ideal for my back and this is something I would only do if Ealing Broadway still only has the steps from platform to street.

Assuming escalator/elevator installation, if I can get the Travelcard at Ealing Broadway, I can begin using it on the bus.
Ok, that makes sense. Yes, the lifts help at Acton, but no such luck at Ealing Common, and apparently not at Broadway, either. We only went through there a couple times at night, and didn't really look for them.

The 112 bus is probably the most convenient from Broadway to the Doubletree, but less frequent than the 207 and 427 which stop about a block away (down near Sainsbury's). We used those a couple times. At least the 112 appears to stop right at the Ealing Broadway station.

We had a really nice stay at the Doubletree, though they had lift failures the whole week we were there - hopefully that's resolved by the time you get there, though staff were more than helpful with assisting guests while they were out of service.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Trains. Yes : exactly the same trains / platforms as Connect. Just with different brand name stickers on the side. There are also GWR brand trains at Ealing Broadway into Paddington and you can use those too.
Travelcard. There is no concept of ticket validation on the UK rail system. So long as your ticket (including a travelcard loaded on oyster) covers the date you're using it, it's valid.
Lifts. There is a plan to install lifts at Ealing Broadway, but (like other aspects of the Crossrail project) this is delayed. They're not likely to be working before summer 2019.
If the lifts are not working until summer, then the Heathrow Connect is out for me. I'll take the Piccadilly to Acton Town and then take a taxi. Thank you for that information.

I will check back in March to see if somehow, work has sped up and the lift is in operation.

Originally Posted by octr202
We had a really nice stay at the Doubletree, though they had lift failures the whole week we were there - hopefully that's resolved by the time you get there, though staff were more than helpful with assisting guests while they were out of service.
Both lifts were out of service? Sorry to hear that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.