Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Gauge Londoners' Interest in American Baseball June 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

The US baseball mavens envy the NFL filling Wembley a couple of times per year for American football matches and, as you may know, are bringing the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox over to London Stadium for two games 29 and 30 June.

I wonder what interest you think there will be. On the one hand this is the first time it's been done, the Red Sox are league champions, and it's a great game to watch if you appreciate it. On the other hand the games will be played during Wimbledon fortnight, ticket prices are outrageous (Ł220+ to sit anywhere close to the action, Ł80 to Ł170 for high-deck seats), and I have no idea if anyone cares. My London cousin, queried about his interest in attending, expressed < 0 interest.

Tickets go on advance sale Monday. Two friends and I, who attend a Red Sox series somewhere in the US every year, are thinking of buying and flying. But do you think the battle for tickets will be fierce, the stadium filled with curious Londoners or even closet baseball supporters? Or will enthusiasm be low, meaning half-full stands on game weekend and possibly discounted tickets offered between now and then? The starting prices certainly discourage casual, semi-interested people from buying and are, I think, a big strategic mistake if MLB (Major League Baseball) is trying to attract a new audience.

I know if the cricket powers tried to hold a test match in Yankee Stadium and charged these prices they would have a hell of a hard time.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 30, 2018 at 6:47 am Reason: Repair a typo, sorry
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:19 am

There will no doubt be a contingent of Americans flying over for it or making it part of their summer Euro-trip, but instinctively I would be surprised if it sold out at those prices. Personally I have a similar level of interest to your cousin's.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i doubt it will sell quickly but for anyone else having to hit google, London stadium is the Olympic Stadium (no idea why MLB have renamed it)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by aidy
i doubt it will sell quickly but for anyone else having to hit google, London stadium is the Olympic Stadium (no idea why MLB have renamed it)
It shows up labeled as such on Google Maps now as well! Perhaps a Google-MLB conspiracy.

The configuration for baseball looks bad TBH. Most seats will be far away from the action.
aidy likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I’m going to gamble my 2 pence worth that the tickets will sell well. US expats in the UK and France, Germany etc, those flying over and making it part of a Europe holiday and UK fans of American sports in general.

Personally I’ve never really got baseball.
BearX220 and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by krispy84; Nov 30, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The NBA games in London have always gone well, and in a bigger stadium - although London Stadium really is not ideal.

Worth noting that hotel prices go through the roof during that period, partly due to Wimbledon and partly due to other Summer events going on, so check out the total cost of your plans before booking. The reason Wimbledon causes such a big blip is that most people only attend for one day but stay in London for 3-4 days, so the total number of individual guests involved is high. It isn't like a business conference where the same people will attend every day.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've watched a US baseball match and a US American Football match and I found the baseball far more interesting than the American football, so much so that I might be interested in going to another but certainly not in London and certainly not at those prices. I suspect that the entire market would be US expats and tourists.
Also, Wimbledon fortnight is crammed with sporting events - generally there's a test match going on and often the British Grand Prix amongst others.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Basketball is basically netball, isn't it? Good to see women's sports getting more prominence.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220
...ticket prices are outrageous (Ł220+ to sit anywhere close to the action, Ł80 to Ł170 for high-deck seats….
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There will no doubt be a contingent of Americans flying over for it or making it part of their summer Euro-trip….
Not this American! . Such ticket prices are ridiculous. No way. That said, Yankee or RS expats might find the above prices a bargain as they would be able to see a game without airfare and hotel expenses.

Originally Posted by BearX220
I know if the cricket powers tried to hold a test match in Yankee Stadium and charged these prices they would have a hell of a hard time.
Maybe not to British expats living in NYC?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Maybe not to British expats living in NYC?
Yankee Stadium capacity is 54,000. I defy you to find 54k deep-pocketed, cricket-mad English expats in NYC. 5,400 perhaps.
Analise likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:36 pm

I would have been interested as a Red Sox fan based over here, but not at those prices, that's more than I paid to watch the NFL game at Wembley last month, that's exorbitant (especially compared to the ~$30 I paid to watch the game I did at Fenway)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could see using the ball game as a "reason" to spend a few days in London and a week or two in the UK.
Btw, most of the NFL games played at Wembley have been dogs - games I wouldn't bother watching on TV. But Yanks v Sox is going to be good. It's a century old rivalry and both teams are loaded.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would go but not at those prices. Offer me something decent for Ł40/USD60 and I’m in. While inferior to cricket I do enjoy a bit of baseball. .
BearX220 and DYKWIA like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by aidy
MLB haven't renamed it.

London Stadium is it's official name. It was only called 'Olympic Stadium' in 2012.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
MLB haven't renamed it.

London Stadium is it's official name. It was only called 'Olympic Stadium' in 2012.
Yes you are correct, and actually to also be pedantic (after my google search) it was only named London Stadium in 2016 it’s official name between then was “The Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park”.

now time to play nice as it’s friday night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.