Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Gauge Londoners' Interest in American Baseball June 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gauge Londoners' Interest in American Baseball June 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
The configuration for baseball looks bad TBH. Most seats will be far away from the action.
Yes, it looks terrible. Remember that Americans never found a way to build a stadium with good sightlines for baseball and (American) football, despite having had decades to perfect. This is a venue that was never intended to host a baseball game in the first place.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Expanding the supporters network to generate interest and publicity and then a market they can exploit. No doubt it will be picked up for TV broadcast. The NFL games at Wembley were shown live on the BBC. I have British friends who go to these matches on a regular basis
NFL has been trying to get into Europe for many years, without much success. The European league a few years ago died a death. Games are shown on Sky and get around 40K viewers - hardly great. Even the Superbowl on the BBC gets < 1m viewers.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
1m which for it's late night time slot is a good audience.

Yet somehow the NFL are bringing more games to the UK so they obviously see some benefit to doing it even if it not primarily a money earner
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Even the most exciting baseball games have long stretches of absolutely nothing happening, translating potentially into periods of extreme boredom for viewers. The difference in the US + Toronto is that the crowd makes its own atmosphere, which is probably not going to happen in London. At those prices and in the middle of Wimbledon, forget it.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Even the most exciting baseball games have long stretches of absolutely nothing happening, translating potentially into periods of extreme boredom for viewers. The difference in the US + Toronto is that the crowd makes its own atmosphere, which is probably not going to happen in London. At those prices and in the middle of Wimbledon, forget it.
Even as a baseball fan I agree that the games are rarely exciting and moments of high drama are relatively few. I regard a live game as more of a pleasant outing in the summer than an edge-of-your-seat sporting event.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Even as a baseball fan I agree that the games are rarely exciting and moments of high drama are relatively few. I regard a live game as more of a pleasant outing in the summer than an edge-of-your-seat sporting event.
I was at a Blue Jays game in the summer where they were down something like 7-2 by the third inning, and by the sixth people started drifting home. They came back to win it 9-7 or something like that with some unbelievable plays in the last innings. That was exciting and unexpected. But there was a lot of nothing going on, helped only by poor and expensive 'beer'.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I was at a Blue Jays game in the summer where they were down something like 7-2 by the third inning, and by the sixth people started drifting home. They came back to win it 9-7 or something like that with some unbelievable plays in the last innings. That was exciting and unexpected. But there was a lot of nothing going on, helped only by poor and expensive 'beer'.
The key to better beer at Rogers Centre is to drink canned beer instead what's on tap. Alexander Keith's and Creemore Springs are passable options.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
The key to better beer at Rogers Centre is to drink canned beer instead what's on tap. Alexander Keith's and Creemore Springs are passable options.
or get tanked up at the steam whistle brewery (over the road) beforehand then just keep yourself topped up at the game
GregWTravels and Badenoch like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:36 pm
Suspended

I'm a British baseball convert and was looking forward to pitching up in London to see the games. But not at those crazy prices.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Creemore sucks since they sold out to Molson and put their beer into LCBO standard bottles. I swear it does not taste the same that it did in the early 1990s!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes! Those ticket prices are something else.

I'm back to Japan next Easter. The flights cost nearly the same (around £360) and once there I could go see the Tokyo Giants for between £10 and £40. Have been outside stadiums where baseball is being played a few times, I know full well that the atmosphere inside must be electric.

My father-in-law is moderately keen and usually has a baseball game or two on the TV during one of our Tokyo visits, I just can't get excited.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm thinking about flying over for a game. Last year I went to Monterey, Mexico which has been hosting a weekend series off and on for the last twenty years. Enthusiasm there was really high and it was a lot of fun watching the local traditions interspersed with standard baseball traditions during the game.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by LapLap
I'm back to Japan next Easter. The flights cost nearly the same (around £360) and once there I could go see the Tokyo Giants for between £10 and £40. Have been outside stadiums where baseball is being played a few times, I know full well that the atmosphere inside must be electric.
I went to a game in Osaka and it was amazing. The crowd cheers, chants and sings the entire way through. More like a European football (soccer) match than any baseball I've seen in North America. Worth doing once just to see it, I'd propose.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by CMK10
Last year I went to Monterey, Mexico which has been hosting a weekend series off and on for the last twenty years. Enthusiasm there was really high and it was a lot of fun watching the local traditions interspersed with standard baseball traditions during the game.
Did the strolling hawkers sell chapulines?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I went to a game in Osaka and it was amazing. The crowd cheers, chants and sings the entire way through. More like a European football (soccer) match than any baseball I've seen in North America. Worth doing once just to see it, I'd propose.
Am seriously considering it, the noise from within Meiji Jingu Stadium when I’ve been nearby does sound enticing. And the families that spew out afterwards are always glowing and happy. Alas, my kid has no interest in Team Sports, so will have to wait a few years until she becomes curious or when I can ditch her with someone while I go without her.
I’ll go eventually. But this thread has shown me that I’ll likely be losing my baseball virginity in Japan and not in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.