Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Gauge Londoners' Interest in American Baseball June 2019?

Gauge Londoners' Interest in American Baseball June 2019?

Old Dec 11, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Am seriously considering it, the noise from within Meiji Jingu Stadium when I’ve been nearby does sound enticing. And the families that spew out afterwards are always glowing and happy. Alas, my kid has no interest in Team Sports, so will have to wait a few years until she becomes curious or when I can ditch her with someone while I go without her.
I’ll go eventually. But this thread has shown me that I’ll likely be losing my baseball virginity in Japan and not in London.
Japan would be a good choice if you can't get to the U.S. The game has a much longer history in Japan. I can't think of a less exciting baseball crowd than a stadium full of Londoners most of whom have no idea what's going on.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 18, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA, UA, SPG/Marriot
Am seriously considering it, the noise from within Meiji Jingu Stadium when I’ve been nearby does sound enticing.
I'm back to Japan next Easter. The flights cost nearly the same (around £360) and once there I could go see the Tokyo Giants for between £10 and £40. Have been outside stadiums where baseball is being played a few times, I know full well that the atmosphere inside must be electric.
You'll be watching the Swallows at the Meiji Jingu Stadium though, not the Giants as they play at the Tokyo Dome. Personally, I'd definitely pick the Swallows for a first game - the stadium is a more "authentic" ball park than the Tokyo Dome though the Dome does have the novel attraction of a rollercoaster attached to it.
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:05 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Even the most exciting baseball games have long stretches of absolutely nothing happening, translating potentially into periods of extreme boredom for viewers. The difference in the US + Toronto is that the crowd makes its own atmosphere, which is probably not going to happen in London. At those prices and in the middle of Wimbledon, forget it.
I think you've just described the actual concept behind cricket!.... lol..only the Brits could invent a game that goes for 3 days and ends in a draw... talk about boredom? And I'M Australian! Im supposed to LIKE cricket....
Ive always thought the only reason we don't see "Cricket riots" (as we have seen Soccer riots) is because the audience is stunned by the tedium of the game....
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt View Post
You'll be watching the Swallows at the Meiji Jingu Stadium though, not the Giants as they play at the Tokyo Dome. Personally, I'd definitely pick the Swallows for a first game - the stadium is a more "authentic" ball park than the Tokyo Dome though the Dome does have the novel attraction of a rollercoaster attached to it.
The Roller coaster I HAVE been on, back when MrLapLap and I were still courting. Went to a walk through “Haunted House” in Korakuen too. Both were pee your pants scary. It’s more than ten years since then and I still shudder a bit
You’ve reminded me that LapChild will finally be tall enough to ride it this coming Spring.
Old Dec 22, 18, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like I will be attending the Sunday game. Happy to meet up with anyone else who will be going.
Old Dec 31, 18, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Looks like I will be attending the Sunday game. Happy to meet up with anyone else who will be going.
I'm afraid my mates and I will be attending the Sox-Twins series in Minneapolis a fortnight earlier, at a small fraction of the London price. Enjoy though!