Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Gauge Londoners' Interest in American Baseball June 2019?

Gauge Londoners' Interest in American Baseball June 2019?

Old Nov 30, 18, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It will die quick. That's like bringing over Cricket to the States.
Old Dec 1, 18, 12:02 am

The Olympic organisation is incredibly litigious and protective of the name 'Olympic', which is one of the reasons why that stadium at Stratford is now carried something else.
aidy likes this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 3:54 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I grew up in north London, moved to the states in 74, glad to say, have not watched one baseball game all the way thru...
and they say cricket is boring... really
Old Dec 1, 18, 7:29 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, British Airways Avios, Marriott Rewards
I would have been interested, but not after seeing the cost. That said, I'm Canadian by birth and so may not represent the view of a typical Brit.

The only people I know who are going are a couple who live in London but who are Americans originally from Boston, so their home team.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Thank you all for your insight and helpful comments. My friends and I are jumping on a conference call today to decide if this is worth pursuing. You have given me serious pause, and it is not a point in favor of the expedition that both friends are pretty budget-sensitive. And... neither have traveled to London before -- or even Europe -- so I am ambivalent about playing Thomas Cook for them for the best part of a week and guiding them through TfL, and showing them how to obtain a pint in a pub, and walking down the proper side of the pavement... identifying coins for them, explaining gently and repeatedly why things cost what they cost, blah blah blah.

I have surveyed budget hotel options briefly and there is still plenty of well-priced inventory but as Raffles has said it will not last.

If the aim of this exercise is to introduce more English sport fans to baseball, or get the ambivalent or casually interested to sample it, I think it is beyond moronic to price good tickets at £300+, which repels consideration. Maybe corporations, banks, law firms, etc. are cornering the best seats for client entertainment?
burnsie21 and aidy like this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 9:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I don't see this working. I've attended both football and baseball games in Canada with Brits. They got football quite easily but were mystified (and quite bored) by baseball. Its like soccer and cricket for a North American. Many of us like the former but have are completely befuddled by the later.
Old Dec 1, 18, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Its like soccer and cricket for a North American. Many of us like the former but have are completely befuddled by the later.
Football / "soccer" gets global exposure and has US leagues. NBC shows Premier League matches live to US audiences. Cricket gets no such exposure outside already pro-cricket markets. And if you were going to try to get more Americans to sample a live cricket test, you might not start by charging $400+ for tickets.
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

UPDATE: The ticket-buying derby began this morning and despite an hour of frantic searching and parameter-fiddling, we could not find anything under £290 per seat, plus Ticketmaster fees. So, the hell with it.
Old Dec 3, 18, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
UPDATE: The ticket-buying derby began this morning and despite an hour of frantic searching and parameter-fiddling, we could not find anything under £290 per seat, plus Ticketmaster fees. So, the hell with it.
Does that mean you did or didnít buy?
Old Dec 3, 18, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Does that mean you did or didn’t buy?
Did not buy.
Analise and aidy like this.

Last edited by BearX220; Dec 4, 18 at 6:07 am
Old Dec 3, 18, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Avis P+; Global Entry
Itís sad to see that they are charging so much, as itís not going to get the interest of people who are curious!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 11:54 pm

Paying that much to see any baseball game outside of the possible exception of the 7th game of the World Series is daft. Shame on MLB for the money grab when they should be trying to promote the game abroad.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Paying that much to see any baseball game outside of the possible exception of the 7th game of the World Series is daft. Shame on MLB for the money grab when they should be trying to promote the game abroad.
If you were trying to fill Wrigley Field or Dodger Stadium for a cricket match, you would charge $20 or $25 and throw in some beer chits. I mean really.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This will sell out... but it will be at least 90% Americans at the game. It's not been widely advertised over here (or maybe it has in London?), so I'm not quite sure what MLB are trying to achieve.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:40 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
This will sell out... but it will be at least 90% Americans at the game. It's not been widely advertised over here (or maybe it has in London?), so I'm not quite sure what MLB are trying to achieve.
Expanding the supporters network to generate interest and publicity and then a market they can exploit. No doubt it will be picked up for TV broadcast. The NFL games at Wembley were shown live on the BBC. I have British friends who go to these matches on a regular basis

People asked the same question when premiership teams started to do friendly matches in e.g. Asia and North America. They were laughed at but other teams soon followed when they saw the commercial opportunities

BTW general ticket sales start today (6th December) at 10am

Search this Thread