Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel near LHR - which one?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Hotel near LHR - which one?

We're arriving around 11pm at LHR on Swiss... T2 I believe... bit too late to drive out where we need to. What's the best hotel nearby to overnight and then go back to the airport and get a rental car? Anywhere to get a decent dinner at that time? Drinks?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sheraton Skyline (and other hotels near it) is an easy walk to Avis, don't even need shuttling. Not good for other rental agencies though.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Well there is a new HGI opening at T2 soon, so depending on your dates that might suit for such a late arrival.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Well there is a new HGI opening at T2 soon, so depending on your dates that might suit for such a late arrival.
Is there anywhere to eat around there at that hour?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by herzmeh
Is there anywhere to eat around there at that hour?
Difficult to say... hasn't opened yet! But according to the website they will have a restaurant.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Difficult to say... hasn't opened yet! But according to the website they will have a restaurant.
Sorry... I meant in the general vicinity.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by herzmeh
Sorry... I meant in the general vicinity.
Well if you are only arriving at 23:00 and staying at the new HGI, which, I understand, is connected to T2, then I imagine your vicinity would be the terminal/the hotel or perhaps other hotels in the vicinity... I don't think you will find any local restos which are open within easy reach at that time of night.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Hilton T2 is due to open in Feb 2019 so if you are planning on travelling before then you will need to stay elsewhere.

For staying in the hotels on bath road there is a 24hr mcdonalds

There is also a Hilton at Terminal 4 (connected by a passageway) and it looks like some restaurants are open to 1230am ( 30 mintues after mindnight)

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/un...ing/index.html

Otherwise you might consider getting a sandwich at a shop after arrivals ( ie M&S simply food ) and take it to your hotel.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Otherwise you might consider getting a sandwich at a shop after arrivals ( ie M&S simply food ) and take it to your hotel.
This makes the best sense -- I don't think any restaurant off-airport will be open after midnight. The HGI in Hatton Cross, one Piccadilly Line stop east of LHR, is a fine place to stay and has a late-operating kitchen and bar, but I don't think it will be lit late enough for OP.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Heathrow Hotel options - for one night only....
1flyer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
This makes the best sense -- I don't think any restaurant off-airport will be open after midnight. The HGI in Hatton Cross, one Piccadilly Line stop east of LHR, is a fine place to stay and has a late-operating kitchen and bar, but I don't think it will be lit late enough for OP.
The McDonalds on Bath Rd? It seems to be open pretty late IIRC, an act of desperation as it may be. The M&S grocery store in T5 has been useful to me at late hours, but at that point I would be staying at the Sofitel LHR.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The McDonalds on Bath Rd?
Open all night, but hard without a car (unless you stay at the Novotel adjacent), and the taxi fare could dwarf the cost of your order. I would default back to the M&S grab-and-go sandwich before leaving the terminal.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
Open all night, but hard without a car (unless you stay at the Novotel adjacent), and the taxi fare could dwarf the cost of your order. I would default back to the M&S grab-and-go sandwich before leaving the terminal.
The McDonalds on Bath Rd. is easily walk-able (or otherwise pretty easily accessible using the free bus zone buses) from a variety of the LHR hotels on Bath Rd.

I've walked by there pretty late at night when staying at the Renaissance, the Marriott, the Sheraton Skyline, the Radisson, the Park Inn, the Holiday Inn Ariel, and probably one or two other current or former hotels along Bath Rd.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:42 pm

Just trying to understand the timings on this.
If you are arriving LHR at 23:00 local, you will be departing Switzerland at 22:00 local (given the hour difference).
So why not save the hassle and have your dinner airside in Switzerland at 21:00 local, where you will find plenty of restos within easy walking distance of your gate?
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Just trying to understand the timings on this.
If you are arriving LHR at 23:00 local, you will be departing Switzerland at 22:00 local (given the hour difference).
So why not save the hassle and have your dinner airside in Switzerland at 21:00 local, where you will find plenty of restos within easy walking distance of your gate?
The timings seem a bit out, as the last ZRH flight is scheduled to arrive at 2140 while the last GVA flight arrives at 2125, and even the last LH FRA flight arrives at 2215. There might be a bit of a delay but usually will be out well before 2300.

The OP might be transferring from another flight with a short connection so eating earlier might not be feasible. However, doesn't Swiss still give you some sort of sandwich even in economy?

Also, food in Switzerland would be expected to cost quite a lot more than in the UK especially at airport prices. LHR T2 has a 24-hour Costa, say what you like about the coffee but the hot food is generally all right, and while I still find it expensive, it is cheap compared to Swiss prices.

Personally I don't understand anyone who wants a big meal (OP asked for a "decent dinner") right before sleeping...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.