Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Walking from Hatton Cross to Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at night

Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I'm thinking about taking a day flight to LHR from JFK arriving at 8:10pm and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow as the price is very inexpensive for HH members (£74). Obviously I don't know how long it will take go to through immigration and pick up my bag at the baggage carousel. Assuming it takes 60-90 minutes, the plan is for me to take the Tube to Hatton Cross and walk the 6 minutes (according to Google Maps) to the hotel.

I am planning to arrive on a weeknight in the 3rd week of March. Is it safe to walk to the hotel from Hatton Cross? Are the streets well lit? Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I have never done it at night however it is a short and straight forward route. It isn’t the most pleasant route but is lit and there are pavements. Just be a little cautious with traffic. As you come through the barriers from the tube head to the exit on the left. Then head for the pedestrian bridge in front of you and cross it. Then follow this road round to the right. There are a few entrances to car parks etc you need to cross but pay attention and you will be fine. You can take a look at most of the route on Google Street View. 6 mins is how long it takes for an average to slow walker, if you walk quickly it will be less.

One tip if you are taking an early morning flight the next day is to check the times of the first few tubes on the TfL website as they start around 5am but are only every ten minutes.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I will be staying in Ealing for rest of the trip and can easily get car service from the hotel for my 10:30 flight.

Thanks for the tips. I'm becoming unsure about the walk especially as I will be slow given a back condition I have.

My husband is urging me to consider car service but if I reserve in advance and there is a long line at immigration making me late for the window car service operators provide, I'll be charged for that. Black taxis are a rip off so I avoid them at all costs.

Since LHR T3 does have free wifi, is it possible to go online to request car service once I'm landslide? Will they come within 10-15 minutes? If so, any recommendations for an inexpensive and reliable car service? Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
There's really nothing to worry about when doing this walk at night. Neither should you worry about walking anywhere you are likely to go within London at night.

Rather than taking the tube, from T3 I would take the 285 bus and get off at Envoy Avenue, which is only 1 minute walk from the hotel rather than 5. Stops are announced by a loud automated voice. It's free so you can just get on the bus, no need to do anything, no need to even look at the driver if you don't want to.

The walk from T3 to the tube/bus station is quite long though, about 6-7 mins, so if you really think you will have trouble with that then by all means book a car, maybe Uber?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:16 am

To be honest I think you are overthinking it a little. It is pretty straightforward. I personally wouldn’t bother with a car.

If you do want one the most common way in London by far is Uber, though there are reports of Uber drivers at Heathrow calling riders and cancelling when they find out they just want to go somewhere close to the airport. The only other company with any kind of scale is Addison Lee.

Edit: Good suggestion about the bus above. Visitors seem to get a little worried about them, but London buses are some of the most straightforward anywhere. The bus is also free within the Heathrow area whereas you will have to pay for the tube to Hatton Cross.

Also if your rate is cancellable then worth knowing that a new Hilton Garden Inn is opening close to terminal 2 and 3 in February. It’s not open for booking yet but worth keeping an eye on https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...EGI/index.html

Last edited by lcylocal; Nov 10, 2018 at 7:24 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I had heard about the new HGI but didn't realize it will open in February. That's great to know.

Yes, I think I am overthinking this. The walk to the Tube is long from T3 and the bus sounds like a terrific option especially the 1 minute walk from Envoy Ave. I've never taken the bus from T3. Where would I find the bus stop for the 285? I have some money on my Oyster card so that should work.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
I had heard about the new HGI but didn't realize it will open in February. That's great to know.

Yes, I think I am overthinking this. The walk to the Tube is long from T3 and the bus sounds like a terrific option especially the 1 minute walk from Envoy Ave. I've never taken the bus from T3. Where would I find the bus stop for the 285? I have some money on my Oyster card so that should work.
The central bus station is situated between Terminals 2 and 3 - not really any further than the Tube, if not a little bit closer when you factor in getting to the platform etc. You won't need money on your Oyster Card as the bus is free.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Analise

Stop 19 in the Heathrow Central Bus Station (just follow the signs for buses in the terminal).
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:10 am

If in the end you find it more convenient to use the tube, the walk from Hatton Cross Station is pretty safe and straightforward. As you go up the stairs in the station to exit, exit the station to the right. Turn left and just walk straight. You cross one street then there is a lighted sidewalk that you follow. Go past the series of buildings and you arrive at the HGI, though the entrance is hidden. When you get to a crosswalk with the blinking lights, there is an out building of the HGI on the left. Turn left and enter the HGI property at that crosswalk, go past the small building and then the hotel entrance is to the left. Maybe a 5 minute walk.

Last edited by xooz; Nov 11, 2018 at 7:06 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The central bus station is situated between Terminals 2 and 3 - not really any further than the Tube, if not a little bit closer when you factor in getting to the platform etc. You won't need money on your Oyster Card as the bus is free.
The bus to Envoy Ave for the Hilton Garden Inn is FREE?? Really?? Wow.

If I were take bus 285 back to the central bus station, would it also be free?

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Stop 19 in the Heathrow Central Bus Station (just follow the signs for buses in the terminal).
Thank you.

Originally Posted by xooz
If in the end you find it more convenient to use the tube, the walk from Hatton Cross Station is pretty safe and straightforward….
Thanks for the detailed instructions.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If you haven't got much luggage then the only thing I would worry about is the weather on the walk!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xooz
As you go up the stairs in the [Hatton Cross tube] station to exit, exit the station to the right. Turn left and just walk straight. ...
Yes. This is better advice than that given earlier upthread, about exiting to the left and going over the pedestrian bridge. The hotel is close by and completely simple to find (big neon sign!), even at night.

Yes, the 285 bus to the Envoy Rd stop is free. However, let's think about this. Say that you go from T3 arrivals to the central bus station, wait for the next 285, take it around the LHR periphery, then get off and go to the HGI. Meanwhile I go from T3 arrivals to the Piccadilly Line, wait for the next train, take it to Hatton Cross, then get off and go to the HGI. Odds are that I will be asleep in bed before you even get checked in. And all for £1.50, or whatever the tube fare is. What is £1.50 as a percentage of the air ticket you just flew in on?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am sure that you will have looked at this, but this is what the hotel says itself about getting to it from the Terminals. I would take the tube if it were me doing this for sure. If you have =>£1.50 on your Oyster it should be painless.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henry999
Yes. This is better advice than that given earlier upthread, about exiting to the left and going over the pedestrian bridge. The hotel is close by and completely simple to find (big neon sign!), even at night.

Yes, the 285 bus to the Envoy Rd stop is free. However, let's think about this. Say that you go from T3 arrivals to the central bus station, wait for the next 285, take it around the LHR periphery, then get off and go to the HGI. Meanwhile I go from T3 arrivals to the Piccadilly Line, wait for the next train, take it to Hatton Cross, then get off and go to the HGI. Odds are that I will be asleep in bed before you even get checked in. And all for £1.50, or whatever the tube fare is. What is £1.50 as a percentage of the air ticket you just flew in on?
Point WELL taken. I didn't know about the time differential. My concern was the safety of the area which sounds like it's not a problem at all.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am sure that you will have looked at this, but this is what the hotel says itself about getting to it from the Terminals. I would take the tube if it were me doing this for sure. If you have =>£1.50 on your Oyster it should be painless.
Thanks for the link. I didn't see it.

The tube seems to be the way to go unless it's pouring outside. I see there is an H9 bus for £4.50 which again is not a big deal but it seems that it doesn't run often so that may be the luck of the draw. Again, if it's raining, are the buses whether the 285 or H9 at the same Central Bus or Central Coach station and I'll see signage at T3 arrivals?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by henry999
Never realised you could access the hotel from this side as well - I’ve learnt something useful from this thread too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.