Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walking from Hatton Cross to Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow at night

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by xooz
If in the end you find it more convenient to use the tube, the walk from Hatton Cross Station is pretty safe and straightforward. As you go up the stairs in the station to exit, exit the station to the right. Turn left and just walk straight . You cross one street [there is a pedestrian crossing which is traffic light controlled so you don't have to worry about where the traffic is coming from!]then there is a lighted sidewalk that you follow. Go past the series of buildings and you arrive at the HGI, though the entrance is hidden. When you get to a crosswalk with the blinking lights, there is an out building of the HGI on the left. Turn left and enter the HGI property at that crosswalk, go past the small building and then the hotel entrance is to the left. Maybe a 5 minute walk.
I do this at night most times - see my note on the crossing above. Perfectly safe and well lit. Only pedestrians you may meet are coming/going to the hotel! As mentioned earlier the weather is the only potential issue, although with your bad hip you need to remember that there are no lifts at Hatton Cross tube station so hand luggage would be easier. There are two flights of steps to the street level.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
As mentioned earlier the weather is the only potential issue, although with your bad hip you need to remember that there are no lifts at Hatton Cross tube station so hand luggage would be easier. There are two flights of steps to the street level.
That's a deal breaker right there. It's my back that's bad and I would need an escalator or elevator with my luggage. Thank you for the heads up.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not related to the hotel but earlier this year I took a EWR-LHR day flight that arrived about the same as yours and it took 2 hours to clear immigration in T3. Which in a way was good because I saw the signs about the Registered Traveler program and enrolled when I returned home.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
I'm thinking about taking a day flight to LHR from JFK arriving at 8:10pm and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow as the price is very inexpensive for HH members (Ł74). Obviously I don't know how long it will take go to through immigration and pick up my bag at the baggage carousel. Assuming it takes 60-90 minutes, the plan is for me to take the Tube to Hatton Cross and walk the 6 minutes (according to Google Maps) to the hotel.

I am planning to arrive on a weeknight in the 3rd week of March. Is it safe to walk to the hotel from Hatton Cross? Are the streets well lit? Thanks.
I really wouldn't worry about it, I have walked between Hatton Cross tube station and the HGI many times in the dark and never once been concerned about my safety.

I personally would get the tube even though it isn't free, although I appreciate your concerns about your back and the lack of stairs.. It is usually much quicker than the bus. See here for how to get between Hatton Cross and the HGI https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27265665-post70.html
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The tube is indeed quicker. However, the 285 has a reasonably frequency at that time (every 1/4 hr).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
The tube is indeed quicker. However, the 285 has a reasonably frequency at that time (every 1/4 hr).
That's good to know especially as I can board the 285 from the Central Bus station near Terminal 3.

Assuming I stay at this HGI, are the 2 stairwells extensive at Hatton Cross going from street to platform to take the tube toward London? I will need to go to Ealing and wonder if there might be others who could help me with my bag going downstairs if there aren't a lot of steps. Taking buses to Ealing looks time intensive.

I hoping the new HGI lcylocal mentioned upthread will open soon so I can book there assuming I can afford it. It is still not taking reservations even though it is to open in February.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:06 am

2 flights of about 20 steps each
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good to know especially as I can board the 285 from the Central Bus station near Terminal 3.
For info, here is the timetable for bus 285.

You may already be aware of these resources but, if not, a couple of links may be of interest:

TfL page with links to step-free and avoiding-stairs tube maps

National rail search page for station facilities and maps, including accessibility information.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by antichef
2 flights of about 20 steps each
That doesn't match my recollection... seemed like closer to 2 flights with 12ish steps, more like normal flights. But maybe I misremember...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by xooz
That doesn't match my recollection... seemed like closer to 2 flights with 12ish steps, more like normal flights. But maybe I misremember...
Got this from another site:
Hatton Cross station – from the Piccadilly westbound platform to the street you’ll have two flights of stairs (9 and 24 steps up)

Last time I did it was with 2 x 32Kg bags and it felt like a lot! Analise is not going to like it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:41 pm

Yes, last rime i was there I helped a lady carry her bags up. It is not a trivial activity!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Got it. I appreciate the description of Hatton Cross. I would feel terrible asking somebody to help with my bag going downstairs at Hatton Cross given that it is "not a trivial activity". It sounds like a lot to ask somebody to help lift the bag down the steps so I won't do it.

Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Got it. I appreciate the description of Hatton Cross. I would feel terrible asking somebody to help with my bag going downstairs at Hatton Cross given that it is "not a trivial activity". It sounds like a lot to ask somebody to help lift the bag down the steps so I won't do it.

Thanks.
I regularly travel from a station (not Tube and not London, admittedly) with many steps and no other access, often with a child in a pushchair. I usually get unsolicited help when I've got him with me, and will generally offer help if someone's obviously struggling with whatever.

However, I do appreciate that it's not always great to have to rely on this, particularly when there are viable alternatives.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Thanks.
if your back is that bad in that case I would get a hoppa bus which goes direct to the hotel door, or just get a taxi/uber. The TfL buses are fine but not designed for people with large suitcases.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

I actually don't travel with a large suitcase; if I didn't have spondylolisthesis, I could lift the bag as it is a two-wheeled upright that meets carry-on dimensions. I wouldn't have to check it in if I weren't hurt. Such is life. At least I can lift it for curbs and such.

I have learned to pack lightly! I've taken the TFL buses with this bag and have never had a problem. But the TFL buses between Hounslow & Ealing would take way too much time so what I'll do if I stay at the HGI in Hounslow is walk to the Hatton Cross in advance to see what the stairwells are like. Maybe I can drag the bag slowly down the steps so not to damage it.

stut, I definitely don't want to need to rely on others as it is indeed an imposition for others and I would feel very awkward. I can only imagine how challenging stairwells are with a baby carriage!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.