Search

Travelcard question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Travelcard question

I have a travel card and has saved me quite a sum of money over time. I normally use it when I take the fast train from Ashford to St Pancras then tube from Kings Cross to LHR. I get my ticket from the agent at Ashford for travel all the way through. This time my journey will be in reverse. Should I just use my Iphone ipay to get a one way tube fare from T3 to Kings Cross, walk across the street and use my travelcard to get a discount on the fast train to Ashford Int'l or should I see a ticket agent at T3 and have them ticket it all the way through? I would imagine the ticket booth at T3 underground is probably stalled with a long long all the time.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:54 pm

Do you mean a railcard rather than a travelcard?

And do you need to return from Ashford, either on the same day or some time later?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Do you mean a railcard rather than a travelcard?

And do you need to return from Ashford, either on the same day or some time later?
Sorry yes railcard.

For this trip I will not need a return as I’m getting a ride back to lhr.

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:08 pm

Ok, and what day/time are you travelling?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok, and what day/time are you travelling?
Arriving at 9 am Lhr Sunday 11/18
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:36 pm

Well a Super Off Peak from STP to Ashford is Ł21.30 with a railcard. The tube fare is Ł3.10 (or Ł2.05 if you have your railcard loaded onto an Oyster card). So Ł24.40 total.

A through ticket from LHR is Ł27.35, so the separate tickets is cheaper here.

You can save more by buying an Advance ticket if available, but you then lose flexibility on timing. With a Super Off-Peak you can jump on any train.

As for picking up, just buy the ticket online and you can pick it up at one of the machines at either LHR or STP. You don't need to use the ticket office.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well a Super Off Peak from STP to Ashford is Ł21.30 with a railcard. The tube fare is Ł3.10 (or Ł2.05 if you have your railcard loaded onto an Oyster card). So Ł24.40 total.

A through ticket from LHR is Ł27.35, so the separate tickets is cheaper here.

You can save more by buying an Advance ticket if available, but you then lose flexibility on timing. With a Super Off-Peak you can jump on any train.

As for picking up, just buy the ticket online and you can pick it up at one of the machines at either LHR or STP. You don't need to use the ticket office.
Thanks. I can’t buy cheaper ticket as there is a window of time I’ll get into st pancras coming from lhr. Buying the ticket online I found out is a total waste of time as I need to re-check in with a machine at st pancras so I’ll just use my iPhone at the lhr tube entry and buy a ticket from a ticket office at st pancras.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks. I can’t buy cheaper ticket as there is a window of time I’ll get into st pancras coming from lhr. Buying the ticket online I found out is a total waste of time as I need to re-check in with a machine at st pancras so I’ll just use my iPhone at the lhr tube entry and buy a ticket from a ticket office at st pancras.
The benefit of buying online is you could then pick it up at LHR if you have a few mins to spare before the next Tube departs (less of an issue at T2/3, more at T4/5). This would save you having to pick up at STP which could translate into a 30min time saving on a Sunday.

If there's a Tube about to leave, you could still jump on that and pick up at STP.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The benefit of buying online is you could then pick it up at LHR if you have a few mins to spare before the next Tube departs. This would save you having to pick up at STP which could translate into a 30min time saving on a Sunday.

If there's a Tube about to leave, you could still jump on that and pick up at STP.
What is stp? If I buy online can I apply my travel card for the discount?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:15 pm

What is stp? If I buy online can I apply my travel card for the discount?
St Pancras.

Yes you can, but call it a railcard. A travelcard is a type of ticket - it'll cause confusion with staff if you mix up the two.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

St Pancras.

Yes you can, but call it a railcard. A travelcard is a type of ticket - it'll cause confusion with staff if you mix up the two.
Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:05 pm

And just to reiterate the advice as always, don't buy from thetrainline.com which adds completely unnecessary fees.

Buy from Southeastern or any of the other train operating companies. Nationalrail.co.uk will direct you to these.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And just to reiterate the advice as always, don't buy from thetrainline.com which adds completely unnecessary fees.

Buy from Southeastern or any of the other train operating companies. Nationalrail.co.uk will direct you to these.
Thanks yes I have only bought from southeastern in the past.

So there is a kiosk at the Lhr underground where I can pick it up? Normally I would have gone to the two kiosks next to the ticket office at STP that always have a line.

Another frustrating thing is the ticket doesn't say what platform. I do know it's usually 5 or 6 (the escalators in front of the Starbucks and that sushi place) but from there I have to flag down an employee to find out what platform the next express/fast train to Ashford International is. Ugh.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

So there is a kiosk at the Lhr underground where I can pick it up?
Not in the Underground station but from the rail ticket machines in the terminal. According to the trainline.com these are:
T2 and 3 - Opposite the Heathrow Express Ticket desk in the Central Terminal area - this is after you enter the station and before the lifts to platform level. [Note this is different to the Underground station - you walk past the rail station if going to the Underground from T3, but not from T2. I believe there are also machines in T2 and T3 Arrivals itself but am not 100% certain of this.]
T4 - on the Arrivals level opposite the Heathrow Express Ticket desk.
T5 - to the left of the ticket desk on Arrivals level.

Another frustrating thing is the ticket doesn't say what platform. I do know it's usually 5 or 6 (the escalators in front of the Starbucks and that sushi place) but from there I have to flag down an employee to find out what platform the next express/fast train to Ashford International is. Ugh.
You can find out live platforms for any train from the National Rail website or app, or that of any train operating company. However the Southeastern platforms at St Pancras are always 11-13.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

However the Southeastern platforms at St Pancras are always 11-13.
Perhaps that's half my problem right there!

LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.