Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oyster for 5 days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Oyster for 5 days

Hey there is it worth getting an oyster if you visit London for 5 days?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It’s probably easier just to use your contactless credit or debit card. If you don’t have one, then you must get an Oyster card. Cash is no longer accepted on buses and is massively more expensive on the Underground.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:52 pm

Apple or Android Pay work if you don't have a contactless bank card.
Emphasising the point above - cash fares to be avoided. They are priced deliberately high to discourage you from doing that.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Cash is no longer accepted on buses and is massively more expensive on the Underground.
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Emphasising the point above - cash fares to be avoided. They are priced deliberately high to discourage you from doing that.
This terminology is misleading particularly for new visitors to London. "Cash" is not massively more expensive on the Underground.

What they are calling "cash fares" actually means a "paper ticket for a single journey" on the Underground (tube) or the Docklands Light Railway.

You can buy such paper single tickets with cash or card and there is no difference in price. As mentioned, they are much more expensive than using Oyster or a contactless card.

You can buy and add funds to an Oyster using cash or a bank card, and again the payment method makes no difference. You could even buy a contactless prepaid debit card using cash, then use it to pay for travel fares (well, that is kind of what an Oyster is).

Thus you can certainly pay for bus tickets with cash, you just have to do it before you get on a bus. Non-contactless cards are also not accepted on buses.

(Btw, nobody seems to understand the meaning of "contactless" either: the card literally doesn't need to contact the reader.)
YVRYEGYVR likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: MUCCI
You don't say which days of the week your 5 days are, nor crucially how much travel you will make.

Beyond that:

Oyster only offers daily price capping (i.e. once you reach a certain amount you don't pay any more)
Contactless (i.e. contactless credit card or apple/android pay) offers both daily capping AND weekly capping - but note a week is defined as Monday to Sunday. So if your five days straddle the weekend, e.g. Friday to Tuesday etc you will not benefit from this.

If you will straddle a weekend, a paper ticket '7 day travelcard' COULD in SOME circumstances be cheaper. As it is consecutive days. But, as it is a payment upfront, rather than a cap, expected level and nature of useage is crucial.

Indeed, the huge question is how many journeys you will actually make and their nature.
Hopping about zone-1-2 is very different to say continually going out and back to zone-6, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: MUCCI
If you are using contactless (credit card or apple/android pay) - or indeed an oyster card - do note that you must have one card or device per person. You ca NOT just keep tapping the same card as people go through the gate.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by David-A
If you will straddle a weekend, a paper ticket '7 day travelcard' COULD in SOME circumstances be cheaper. As it is consecutive days. But, as it is a payment upfront, rather than a cap, expected level and nature of useage is crucial.
I'd still use an Oyster card in that scenario. You can have travelcards on those as well and it saves you the trouble from safekeeping a paper ticket. Paper tickets tend to get damaged fairly quickly.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've had an Oyster almost from the beginning and would have said yes were it not for contactless cards. So for just five days and no expectation of going back any time soon I'd just use a contactless card.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I believe you can get a refund on unused credit and the cost of the deposit on the Oyster card.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...n_England.html
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
even with contactless I would also suggest setting up an oyster account and linking your card to it.

That means you will be able to see your journey history and then have any issues fixed that you can't do if you just use the card without an oyster account such as have an incomplete journey (and so an overcharge) being fixed and refunded.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Worcester
I believe you can get a refund on unused credit and the cost of the deposit on the Oyster card.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...n_England.html
You can get the refund once the balance is under £10. I had an extra Oyster left from an earlier visit and once the balance was below the limit I received a refund for the deposit and remaining balance from an Oyster machine. It was paid out in £1 coins.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, Aegean & some other almost useless M&M programs; BA One World; spg; HHonors; Accor...
Contactless could be less interesting depending on the currency exchange rates and charges imposed by your bank...go for the Oyster card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.