Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Many luxury hotels in London with weak gyms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Many luxury hotels in London with weak gyms?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:46 am

Agreed with others concerning the running there are some great routes in and around London, most definitely a cracking way to get out-&-about and indeed for sightseeing.

[OT] What I find amazing, though, are those old railway lines which have been converted to paths/cycling tracks there are many around the Country (I did the Ayot Greenway over in Hertfordshire at the weekend) making the UK amongst the best places running-wise (considering also the countless miles of canal paths e.g. there are some breath-taking routes around the Leeds-Liverpool canal) [/OT]

G
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you get in touch with the concierge at a good luxury hotel, they will have no problems in setting up your suite with whatever workout equipment you desire. It may cost you something, though.
Most luxury hotels can also arrange a day pass to a decent gym nearby. I've had hotels in Mayfair set me up at the Virgin Active in Mayfair. There are a few gyms in Soho where I've been able to drop in, as well. The going rate for a day pass is about GBP 40.

I, too, have always been mystified why some of the top hotels in London have such lackluster gyms.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh, yes, I love cycling on the old railway lines (the lack of gradient makes it rather relaxing, too). The Ayot Greenway up to Wheathampstead is a good one, as is the Alban Way from WGC over to St Albans. Closer to me, there's the old Varsity Line between Sandy and Bedford, with some lovely riverside sections.

Towpaths do vary in quality. The London ones are great, but exercise caution on some at night, and be prepared for just how many cyclists use them during peak hours. If I go to the West Midlands, I often use the canal network to get around by bike. Don't assume that it's all flat, though, those lock flights can give you quite a steep climb!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by stut
Towpaths do vary in quality. The London ones are great, but exercise caution on some at night, and be prepared for just how many cyclists use them during peak hours.
My own view - and I say this is a cyclist - is that cycles should be banned from the towpaths. Much as I like the efficiency of them when empty at night, they are simply not wide enough for sharing with pedestrians and of course their dogs. I generally cycle on the roads parallel to the towpaths instead.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by stut
the Alban Way from WGC over to St Albans.
[OT] ^ I ran a few miles there as well recently but started in Hatfield (next to the Galleria), I didn’t know the actual route started in Welwyn Garden City (I ran a few times from WGC to Hatfield but this was next to a busy double carriageway which lead to the A1(M) and it wasn’t that pleasant!). Over the Alban Way I loved those revamped ‘ghost stations’ (e.g. Nast Hyde Halt), absolute magic, especially for a train lover (and indeed avid runner) like myself Another great local route is the Cole Green Way all the way to Hertford. I’m over here on a work assignment and truly enjoying it (plus Welwyn Garden City is a gem!) [/OT]

G

Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:26 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jimlad48
I know that when I travel I want to exercise to keep weight gain at bay, so I feel your pain. London running is fabulous, and you can find yourself doing some world class sights on great routes. I would highly recommend running down the River Thames, as the path there is pedestrianised and gives you great views. The Royal Parks also give a wonderful green space to relax in - its a great city for running in.
I second this - there is something very special about running over Tower Bridge early in the morning before people are up, along the South Bank - perhaps alternating between banks by crossing at the various bridges - and past Westminster on towards Vauxhall, or diverting into the parks depending on the distance you want.

Running in London is very much about the sights - unless we’re Olympic athletes, the raison d’ętre of running is about being about to stop occasionally and take in our surroundings.
GUWonder and GregWTravels like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I second this - there is something very special about running over Tower Bridge early in the morning before people are up, along the South Bank - perhaps alternating between banks by crossing at the various bridges - and past Westminster on towards Vauxhall, or diverting into the parks depending on the distance you want.

Running in London is very much about the sights - unless we’re Olympic athletes, the raison d’ętre of running is about being about to stop occasionally and take in our surroundings.
My wife and I travel LAX-LHR at least twice a year. Overnight flight gets us in noon or so. We stay on Park Lane (Hilton). Each time, on arrival, my wife goes straight to the room for a nap and I take off for a 5 mile or so run, through Hyde Park, or Green Park, St. James Park. What a great way to start the trip. Depending on weather, early mornings I go out again or hit the elliptical in the hotel gym. Three cheers for Londontown!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.