Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Many luxury hotels in London with weak gyms?

Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum

Hello, my wife and I are looking for a luxury hotel in London that has a good gym. For most other cities, this isn't an issue and in fact go hand in hand. But for the hotels I'm looking at, like Beaumont, Connaught, Chiltern, Rosewood, Milestone, Soho, etc, they all seem to have very forgetttable gyms.
Ideally I would like a lap pool, and a proper spin bike with SPD clip in, surprising how hard it is to find these at some very pricey hotels

Haymarket, Mondrian and cafe royal seem to have better gyms (and pools), but can't find any evidence for good spin bikes. Otherwise my weight will go out of control on a new years trip to London! Any advice appreciated.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

I know very little about any of the hotels mentioned, but if you want a proper pool that's what I would focus on in picking the hotel. That's easier to search for photo-wise.

If you're serious about spinning, how about using a pay-as-you-go gym/class instead? There are loads of great gyms all over London for this. For example literally right opposite the Mondrian is 1Rebel which has excellent spin (Ride) classes (the Reshape class is also great). You could get a trial membership on Classpass for your trip for these.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Very few actual lap pools in Central London Hotels. Space is at a premium, and the main London luxury hotel clientele isn't quite the West Coast fit-for-fun crowd.

The only place with a proper lap pool (25 m) I can think of is the Marriott County Hall. Which incidentally has some of the best views in London.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you want a hard core workout you’re going to have to join a gym. Otherwise you could rent a bike and cycle around one of London’s many lovely parks? @:-)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I know very little about any of the hotels mentioned, but if you want a proper pool that's what I would focus on in picking the hotel. That's easier to search for photo-wise.

If you're serious about spinning, how about using a pay-as-you-go gym/class instead? There are loads of great gyms all over London for this. For example literally right opposite the Mondrian is 1Rebel which has excellent spin (Ride) classes (the Reshape class is also great). You could get a trial membership on Classpass for your trip for these.
Likely may have to choose a class of some sort, but I typically do not spin in a class, just with the wife, and sometimes at odd hours a class wouldn't be offered. Also while happy to pay for luxury hotels, I like getting a lot of what I perceive as value, which would include 24hr access to a spin bikes.

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Very few actual lap pools in Central London Hotels. Space is at a premium, and the main London luxury hotel clientele isn't quite the West Coast fit-for-fun crowd.

The only place with a proper lap pool (25 m) I can think of is the Marriott County Hall. Which incidentally has some of the best views in London.
Thanks. Haymarket seems to have a close to 20m pool, and some others have resistance pools which are good and do the job.

[

Final plan will be to not worry about the gym, try some classes.
i have a mental complex about buffet breakfasts and weak gyms
dodgeflyer likes this.

Last edited by YVRYEGYVR; Nov 2, 2018 at 7:05 pm Reason: removed quote
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Would be amazing if olympic facilities are made available to the public, will look into that too
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:22 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Would be amazing if olympic facilities are made available to the public, will look into that too
The aquatic centre has been open to the general public since 2014. The pool areas are as they were during the Olympics, but the temporary side stands have been removed thereby significantly reducing the capacity.

However, the centre is well away from central London, in the Olympic Park at Stratford, and there certainly are not any luxury hotels nearby - which doesn’t really fit with the premise of anytime doorstep availability.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You are on holiday!

maybe fixate on the many and varied things to do in London that spinning on a bike in a pool that you can soon catch up on when back home.

unless you are an Olympic athlete you don’t need to exercise every day in the same way as you’d do at home.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
However, the centre is well away from central London, in the Olympic Park at Stratford, and there certainly are not any luxury hotels nearby - which doesn’t really fit with the premise of anytime doorstep availability.
Thats true, although there a number of good luxury hotels around St Pancras and Liverpool Street stations, both of which have very quick train service to Startford. And of course anywhere on the Jubilee or Central Line is easy.

It is also easily rideable on Santander Cycles - I often do this from N1.

The Olympic Park is certainly worth a visit for anyone staying in london for a few days.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You are on holiday!

maybe fixate on the many and varied things to do in London that spinning on a bike in a pool that you can soon catch up on when back home.

unless you are an Olympic athlete you don’t need to exercise every day in the same way as you’d do at home.
Its easy to say, but I'm still pretty adamant to want good facilities where I'm staying, so there's no excuse to not get 30min of cardio in a day. If I had to leave the hotel, tube to a gym, change/etc pre-post work out, a simple workout becomes a 2hr time commitment which would impact ability to see all the sights.

I think the mindset is just to take whatever cardio the small gyms would make available, and do a couple of classes if that doesn't feel like enough.

I know we are on a holiday... but my diet when I'm not on a holiday, isn't much different (lots of calories in), hence need to ensure good calories burned.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Thats true, although there a number of good luxury hotels around St Pancras and Liverpool Street stations, both of which have very quick train service to Startford. And of course anywhere on the Jubilee or Central Line is easy.

It is also easily rideable on Santander Cycles - I often do this from N1.

The Olympic Park is certainly worth a visit for anyone staying in london for a few days.
The olympic park does look nice and worth visiting to swim. Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:04 am

I know we are on a holiday... but my diet when I'm not on a holiday, isn't much different (lots of calories in), hence need to ensure good calories burned.
You may have stumbled on a solution. Simply eat less.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you get in touch with the concierge at a good luxury hotel, they will have no problems in setting up your suite with whatever workout equipment you desire. It may cost you something, though.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Why not just go for a run?
AlicorporateUK and Buster like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
You may have stumbled on a solution. Simply eat less.
Too many wonderful things to eat

Originally Posted by jimlad48
Why not just go for a run?
Plan to do that too. =)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Too many wonderful things to eat

Plan to do that too. =)
I know that when I travel I want to exercise to keep weight gain at bay, so I feel your pain. London running is fabulous, and you can find yourself doing some world class sights on great routes. I would highly recommend running down the River Thames, as the path there is pedestrianised and gives you great views. The Royal Parks also give a wonderful green space to relax in - its a great city for running in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.