Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card with 0% "foreign transaction fee"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Credit Card with 0% "foreign transaction fee"

Hi guys,

I regularly pay via paypal to either euros or USD.

I noticed that when I do that, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee on all my purchases! I have both BA and Gold AMEX

Any ideas if there is a credit card in the market that has a lower or ideally no fees that also earns me avios/ equivalent ?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:11 am

Try Revolut. Zero fees and spot fx rates, you can even withdraw a small amount of cash from a foreign ATM without any fee.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Curve is good for up to £500 per month.

Tandem is 0% with 0.5% cashback and is free!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
- Tandem (app-only, 0.5% cashback)
- Aqua (0.5% cashback, low credit limits as meant for people with poor credit)
- Halifax Clarity (free cash withdrawals)
- Santander Zero (free cash withdrawals)
- Barclaycard Travel Platinum (non-GBP cash withdrawals count as purchases)
- Metro Bank (SEPA country currencies only, credit and debit card)
- Monzo (debit card, app-only, only £200 equivalent of free cash withdrawals a month)
- Starling Bank (debit card, app-only)
- Revolut (prepaid card - not a bank, hold balances in many currencies and exchange between them as you please, 0.5% markup on weekends, £200 equivalent of free cash withdrawals a month)
- Curve (recharges transactions to another Visa or Mastercard in a currency of your choosing with no markup up to certain limits, Amex coming later this month for a fee - details not yet released to public)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Hi guys,

I regularly pay via paypal to either euros or USD.

I noticed that when I do that, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee on all my purchases! I have both BA and Gold AMEX

Any ideas if there is a credit card in the market that has a lower or ideally no fees that also earns me avios/ equivalent ?

Thanks!
Travellers based in the UK are fortunate in that there is an excellent online site to tell you what cards are best for the UK traveller.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cr...-credit-cards/
What's more the site is updated very regularly. Which cards are best does change over time, there is none on the current list that stays at the top year after year.

However, you may need to prioritize what matters to you. Avoiding a 3% exchange loading or getting Avios or getting cash back or getting free Car rental insurance, etc. There is no card that gives you ALL the perks. Some people who do a good deal of international travel will use several different cards for different purchases. For example a card might charge you 3% on exchange but save you considerably more if it gives you free Car Rental Insurance coverage. There is no 'one size fits all' card.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
As the OP asked for a card with zero transaction fees, I would recommend the Halifax Clarity card. I've held one for several years and have found it to be easy to manage and offer a decent exchange rate on euro and dollars.

I don't think there's one that offers Avios. If there was I'd be all over it!
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by USA_flyer; Nov 4, 2018 at 10:05 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
As the OP asked for a card with zero transaction fees, I would recommend the Halifax Clarity card. I've held one for several years and have found it to be easy to manage and offer a decent exchange rate on euro and dollars.

There was - the Lloyds Avios Amex/Mastercard combo. It's no longer available, but I still have mine. 0 FX fee and earns avios.

I now use the MBNA Horizon card which gives 0.5% cashback and 0 FX fee. I also have the Clarity but no longer use it thanks to Horizon.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
There used to be... the Lloyds Amex/Mastercard duo had no FX fees and offered Avios - 1.25/£ on the Amex and 0.25/£ on the MC. Sadly closed to new applicants since March this year, and now being closed altogether. Sadly missed...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Morland
There used to be... the Lloyds Amex/Mastercard duo had no FX fees and offered Avios - 1.25/£ on the Amex and 0.25/£ on the MC. Sadly closed to new applicants since March this year, and now being closed altogether. Sadly missed...
yes, my boss has one or will have until it's closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.