Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Quite.

The other countries which offer e-gate access beyond EEA / Schengen are Portugal and Italy.

Italy - at Rome (FCO and CIA), Naples and Venice - currently allows e-gate access to the following (in addition to EEA+Swiss): Australia, Canada, South Korea, Japan, Israel, Qatar, New Zealand, USA, Vatican City + Holy See (very technically neither EEA, EU or Schengen) and Taiwan (RoC).
I was in AMS a few weeks ago and US passport holders could use the egates
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by swiftaw

HEL does too for USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand biometric passport users.

AMS and HEL are both slower for me to enter or exit Schengen on my US passports than they were ten years ago. CPH, without such things for US passport users, is way more of a mess after going with egates than before getting them. My last wait to exit was a bit more than 30 minutes and entry about 12 minutes. My US entries with MPC this year took less than a minute and were on average faster than my GE kiosk use this year.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder

HEL does too for USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand biometric passport users.
HEL allows these people to use the e-gates on departure only, and you still need to interact with the human being anyway -- so I've been wondering what the point of the extra step at the e-gate is.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by henry999
HEL allows these people to use the e-gates on departure only, and you still need to interact with the human being anyway -- so I've been wondering what the point of the extra step at the e-gate is.
To give time for the computer systems to run the doc check against databases when exiting. [They still “have to” stamp the exit. And at HEL they ask me questions anyway on exit, more so when using egates than not, and more so on exit than entry.]

It’s the desire to do more extensive checks against the databases that drove a need for expanded use of egates, or otherwise the mess at airport border crossings would have been even worse than it had become.

:D! likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw

As of last month when I was there US passport holders could use the egates only on departure (not arrival.)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
As of last month when I was there US passport holders could use the e-gates only on departure (not arrival.)
Yes, this has been the situation since they installed the e-gates at AMS and also for transferring passengers (you can leave the Schengen area via e-gate but not enter it). As well as the US, the situation also applies to passport holders from Canada, Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and New Zealand.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM

Clearly we don’t trust ourselves!
Must protect our borders!!!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am arriving at LHR T5 at 10:30pm, are the e-gates still open at that time?

Any chance that the HAL airport staff strike will affect e-gate operations on Aug 23/24?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
I am arriving at LHR T5 at 10:30pm, are the e-gates still open at that time?

Any chance that the HAL airport staff strike will affect e-gate operations on Aug 23/24?
They are usually open at that time - and at all times.
In theory HAL staff are not relevant as it's Border Force staff who operate in the area. However, I believe that the queue minders are HAL staff.
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:59 am

Arrived LHR T2 at about 10am on a Sunday morning and was through border control in minutes (US passport) - amazing! I walked right up to my egate, no line at all. I'm not frequently at Heathrow, but usually 1 or 2 times a year and usually am stuck in that winding line under the UK border sign seemingly forever. Egates were great. I am kind of sad about not getting a stamp anymore though.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manda99
Arrived LHR T2 at about 10am on a Sunday morning and was through border control in minutes (US passport) - amazing! I walked right up to my egate, no line at all. I'm not frequently at Heathrow, but usually 1 or 2 times a year and usually am stuck in that winding line under the UK border sign seemingly forever. Egates were great. I am kind of sad about not getting a stamp anymore though.
Now, why can't the US open e-gates for Brits....
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Honestly, when standing in the line with the family today (so was warned not to use my GE or else!) and to see the absolute cluster**** that is SFO, I was trying to think who I could petition to get the US out of egates!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'd settle for egates for US citizens in the US, which do not exist. Easier for an American to get into the UK than for an American to get into America - even with Global Entry.
lhrsfo and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I'd settle for egates for US citizens in the US, which do not exist. Easier for an American to get into the UK than for an American to get into America - even with Global Entry.
<deep sigh>
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Honestly, when standing in the line with the family today (so was warned not to use my GE or else!) and to see the absolute cluster**** that is SFO, I was trying to think who I could petition to get the US out of egates!
And I will enjoy that tomorrow. What a way to start a holiday!
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.