Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:07 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this question refers to several different terminals and is not specific to BA, we’ll move it to the UK&I forum where there are already a number of threads it will likely be merged with.

/mod
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I did 4 or 5 passages last week though T5, and one through T3 and I didn't notice any difference, other than that all gates were open on T5 at times when previously less than half would be open. No delays at T5, straight to a gate, and only a brief (2 minutes) delay at T3. They could do with increasing the number of e-gates in T3, but that was the case before these changes, and the layout of the hall makes it tricky to do, unless they put them at the far end.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by aristoph
I met with a client this morning who flew into T2 and claimed that it was chaos
I flew into T2 yesterday and twice last week: quiet as usual i.e. the standard 5/10 minutes from aircraft to underground/train station.

G
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I arrived at T2 at about 1pm last Thursday. There was almost nobody at the non e-gate section, and there were no queues at the e-gate section. There were only 5 or 6 people in the "reject" line. I don't know if it was all working particularly well or if there was an unusual gap in arrivals. Unusually, I beat my bag to the baggage belt (only two minutes, but that's rare when arriving in T2B.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Arrived on T3 Sunday at 2230-ish. No one in line.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:54 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
All,

Have merged a few threads (extant and incoming) and added a wikipost, as this topic is generating rather a lot of discussion. All contributions to the wikipost will be most gratefully received!

stut
UK & Ireland
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: BA DL
Came through MAN T3 yesterday with my wife, both on US passports. Short line to get to a gate. My passport was accepted OK, the wife’s was rejected. Guy she saw at the desk was very pleasant, said he didn’t know why hers was rejected. While we waited for a gate I would guess the rejection rate was about 15%.

Landed at 10:45am and it was the quickest we have ever got through T3.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by Mirp
I arrived this morning at 6:45 AM and the queue was very long in Terminal 3. Not quite chaos but not great. Took much longer than when only EU passports could use the e-gates.
Same for me this morning, 7.00 am at T3. There was a long line before being able to access the snake barriers and finally a wait of 6 deep for each machine. There's a bunch of AA arrivals at that time, so I suppose it's to be expected.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roughly 10-11am on a recent Monday morning at LHR T3, virtually no wait to get through an e-gate. ^

ETA - I was able to get a FastTrack voucher from VS cabin crew, but didn't use it.

Last edited by ijgordon; Jun 13, 2019 at 9:51 am
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by henry999
As a non-EU passport holder, I am concerned about this too. At T3, admission to the Fast Track queue is by invitation only (as opposed to T5, where the BP suffices). If the cabin crew no longer distribute landing cards, will we now have to ask the purser for the invitation? And will they still have them available?!?
I will follow up on my own musing and add a data point to the corpus. Flying into T3 yesterday with a non-EU etc. passport, I asked for the Fast Track immigration voucher. They had none on board. They said that since they no longer carry landing cards, they no longer have the vouchers either. I pointed out that the latest issue of High Life (June 2019) still promises the Fast Track arrival for First, CW & CE and for BAEC Gold and Silver, as well as OWE and OWS. Cabin chappie suggested that I could just show my BP but as we here know full well, that only works at T5, never at T3.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mordac
Arrived on T3 Sunday at 2230-ish. No one in line.
T3 at the end of the evening is better for most US passport users than it was before. It's not better for EU passport users than it was before, and it's not necessarily better for those who have been entitled to use Fast Track.

T5 is T5, but seems to be at least as slight improvement so far for those not entitled to use Fast Track there.

The major summer hassles for border crossings haven't hit yet, as the summer peak in family travel with young children has yet to happen.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The major summer hassles for border crossings haven't hit yet, as the summer peak in family travel with young children has yet to happen.
But the families with young kids never could use e-gates. Or am I missing something?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Agneisse
But the families with young kids never could use e-gates. Or am I missing something?
They can’t but some try and try, while those that get there with a kid around the cut-off age for use do slow things down at times.

But the missed point is that it was not yet the peak traffic at LHR for families with young children to fully apply the weight of what it means for the worst slowdowns even in the event of no electronic system irregularities to cross into the UK at LHR.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GUWonder
[LEFT]
They can’t but some try and try, while those that get there with a kid around the cut-off age for use do slow things down at times.
At LHR and indeed all EU airports that have E-gates, the staff are very quick to move families away from those gates. It happens every day, all day.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
As a data point, I came through T2 at LHR today at approximately 0830 and there were no queues at all, and as far as I could see, all the e-passport gates were open.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Jun 19, 2019 at 12:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.