Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA
E-Gates and UK passport - paper photo page wear

Just interested if anyone else has my e-gate UK passport problem.

My passport is about a year old. My previous passport had a laminated card page with the photo and details. This worked in all passport machines without damage - most designs seem to require that you lay the page flat, and slide it forward into position. Simple, with a card or laminate page with just a little strength to it.

The new one I received last year, has a paper photo and detail page, instead of a card one. Oddly, the page is *mostly* laminated and stiff over the details. But that critical section that connects it to the binding of the passport is not laminated, and is just very thin paper for those most important few millimetres that connect to the binding. The area in fact, where all the pressure is when sliding this thin paper document onto a reader and trying to keep it flat.

After only a year of use week in, week out, this section is permanently creased and is now not possible to flatten. The passport no longer works in e-gates either in the UK or elsewhere. The passport office, when I enquired, have said this is not a fault and the passport shouldn’t be replaced just because it no longer works on e-gates, claiming that it will just be ‘bad luck’ on each occasion if I am sent to the manual queue.

Border staff both in the UK and one other country have said, in an informal and off the record way, that they think the paper design is to blame and it happens all the time, and also that it wouldn’t be usual to find every read referred to a border official for a period of months. But that this is not the official answer and the official answer is that the gates ‘may not work for every traveller, every time’.

Not very keen on the remaining nine years waiting in the manual processing queue. Passport office seemed pretty clear that I “should not” apply for a new passport but less clear as to whether I “could not”.

Does anyone else have this problem, with the little paper join section being easily damaged over time? And does anyone happen to know if the design may ever change back to a more robust material?

(Image shows crease. Laminate area begins below UNITED KINGDOM text, sewn seam into booklet is above. Problem crease visible in middle of UNITED KINGDOM text. The UNITED KINGDOM text itself is on very thin paper and is pushed back toward the seam when sliding the passport into readers of the type which require the passport data page be slid in, face down.)

Last edited by Thomathy; May 23, 2019 at 12:16 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Yep I have the same issue, takes a few attempts sometimes for my new passport with the paper page to be recognised due to the crease that is now there. The old thicker laminated page worked fine!
Thomathy likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Is there any other place where US citizens (or other foreign non-EU nationals) who are not in some sort of program are admitted to a country without having contact with an immigration officer? As I pointed out in another post, it is now easier for Americans to enter the UK than to enter the US.
I went to Australia back in 2014 and I was told to go through the e-gates in Brisbane. They wouldn't let me through, though, so I still had to talk to someone (but it was basically just one or two questions followed by a stamp). Directing me to those could have been a mistake, however.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I went to Australia back in 2014 and I was told to go through the e-gates in Brisbane. They wouldn't let me through, though, so I still had to talk to someone (but it was basically just one or two questions followed by a stamp). Directing me to those could have been a mistake, however.
It appears that American can use the "SmartGates": http://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-l...gates/arrivals

Don't know, however, if you have to see an immigration officer after exiting the gates, but I would assume not.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
An ‘enhancement’, clearly.

I have to say the solid ‘plastic page’ struck me as an excellent design, especially in the context of use/wear. OK, ours are relatively low-use, live in a travel wallet and aren’t sat on or put through the laundry. But robustness should surely have been a prime criterion, alongside security aspects?
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
Happened to me today at T5. Two separate e gates decided not to read my UK passport. Worked last time I used it 13 months ago, as I only travel for leisure. I did mention this in the other e gate thread earlier today, as I thought i had damaged my passport. So this is a potential design flaw? Mine lasts until 2026, so looks like I have a fair few years of going to a manned desk then.

Bri
Old May 23, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
I tend to get this problem with e-gates at Spanish airports where the reader is quite poorly designed and the page ends up snagging on something.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:55 pm

Yes mine is also creased and the connectivity broken.
Mentioned it to the border force guy at Gatwick last weekend and he too thought there was nothing wrong with the hard laminated info page and that these paper Ines just break in no time.

Fine value for money in a passport that cost a fair wedge of cash and is unable to be used in e-gates.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Don't know, however, if you have to see an immigration officer after exiting the gates, but I would assume not.
No normally you don't, but you probably would have some sort of conversation with a Customs officer, which for phyto-sanitary reasons is a big deal there and NZ.

Portugal and Azores I think has e-gate access to USA citizens, and little in the way of Customs checks.

The use of e-gates in the UK doesn't equate to freedom of movement though, the risk of being denied entry very much remains, but it is fairly rare for USA citizens. But the reality is that for 99.9% of Americans, it will indeed be faster and easier to enter the UK than the USA.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:14 pm

I got a new one just over a year ago and it stopped working a couple of months in. It works most of the time abroad (including today at VCE).
I usually don't bother trying the e gates and just go past them to the "seek assistance" queue. When quizzed I just tell them it doesn't work.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Mine suddenly stopped working at UK e-gates about a year ago and they can't tell me why

Works fine in other countries....
Old May 23, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So there is a presumption that Fast Track will eventually be killed off at LHR at least, and it’s a matter of when and not if? That would probably make the cost-cutting-addicted airline executives happy, as Fast Track costs the airlines money.

The airlines wanting to save money at the expense of consumers will be happy to have more and more excuses to cut yet another cost and to do so at the expense of passengers. I don’t welcome that. Rather I want to see the Fast Track choice remain as easily accessible to me as it has been during prior weeks, months and years and to remain a choice for me for as long as I keep flying to LHR. It’s normal for a consumer to want more choices to choose from, including in order to save time.

I have said my piece on this for now.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No normally you don't, but you probably would have some sort of conversation with a Customs officer, which for phyto-sanitary reasons is a big deal there and NZ.

Portugal and Azores I think has e-gate access to USA citizens, and little in the way of Customs checks.

The use of e-gates in the UK doesn't equate to freedom of movement though, the risk of being denied entry very much remains, but it is fairly rare for USA citizens. But the reality is that for 99.9% of Americans, it will indeed be faster and easier to enter the UK than the USA.
Actually, it's already easier in most of the EU - e.g., the questions asked of Americans by the French immigration officer (if any) are generally shorter and less pointed than the questions asked of Americans by American officers (who perform a dual immigration and customs role) when entering the US.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Mine doesn't work in Germany - fine elsewhere. Same reason!
Old May 23, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I have exactly the same problem and 4 years to go on my passport. This week it didn't work at all on arrival at HEL and took about 3 goes at AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.