Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It would be nice to get a bit more feedback form people that have also used it to see what the experience is like.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not worry that if paper landing cards are abandoned that Fast Track invitations, to the extent required, will be abandoned as well. Crew have simple instructions as to all formalities to accomplish and, if they are provided with and instructed to do so, they will make a pass through the cabin with the invites.

As always, there will always be outliers. But, that is unavoidable in any large operation.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes but my point is that a whole lot of BA premium customers do not have eligible passports for the E-gates. Add to that adults from the approved countries who are traveling with little people. So they have to or should keep the fast track open for them. For individual adult Americans, YMMV.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
Surely longer term students need a Tier 4 visa and cannot stay on a standard visitor visa, no?
Exactly. I'm on a Tier 4 Visa. I cannot enter as a visitor. I've been using the e-gates without issue as my RT account is linked to my passport+BRP. Without that link, I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I'll undoubtedly find out soon enough in person though.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yet the poster indicates that longer term student visitors from the US wouldn't need to get their passports stamped after using the egates.

I have to wonder if they now assume that longer term student visitors at UK ports of entry are lower risk than short-term student visitors and thus the longer term student visitors at UK ports of entry are in less need of at-airport passport stamping and the opportunity it may provide to question passengers.

I do also have to wonder if the process has any guaranteed way to make sure that a US passport user who is supposed to get a UK entry stamp actually gets a UK entry stamp.
I suspect those of us on longer term visas will end up denied at the e-gate and sent to the short line for when the e-gate fails and thus given stamps at that point. This happened to me on occasion whenever I was denied at the e-gates under the RT program.

That said, from a few people I know on Tier 4 visas who have used RT, we've not been getting our passports regularly stamped.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:42 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
I would not worry that if paper landing cards are abandoned that Fast Track invitations, to the extent required, will be abandoned as well. Crew have simple instructions as to all formalities to accomplish and, if they are provided with and instructed to do so, they will make a pass through the cabin with the invites.

As always, there will always be outliers. But, that is unavoidable in any large operation.
At least at T5 you do NOT need a Fast Track Invitation. You just need a BP (Boarding Pass) showing the correct class of service or correct FT level. As a One-World Sapphire traveling in World Traveller Plus, I have used Fast Track by just showing my BP. (This was pre e-gates, but I don't see this changing.)
Old May 22, 2019, 7:59 am

Has anyone noticed if the general Border Force wait times are shorter now? I'll be coming through LGW in a couple weeks but will have toddler in tow, meaning no e-gates for me.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stc
You just need a BP (Boarding Pass) showing the correct class of service or correct FT level.
Sorry, what do you mean by this?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by henry999
Sorry, what do you mean by this?
I suspect he meant FFP (Frequent Flyer Program).
Old May 22, 2019, 1:15 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
I suspect he meant FFP (Frequent Flyer Program).
Yes, I meant Frequent Traveler level.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
Surely longer term students need a Tier 4 visa and cannot stay on a standard visitor visa, no?
Research students and academics, typically in receipt of funding or salaried, now apply for a Standard Visitors Visa since Business Visitor Visas have been abolished. Undergraduate level studies will typically be T4 / GSV.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
In light of the common travel area with the Irish Republic - I wonder if the UK government obtained approval from the Irish to allow non-EU nationals to use the epassport gates? It means Americans can make their way into the Irish Republic without coming into contact with a British or Irish immigration officer.
Ireland was consulted on the change and raised no objection. They may well follow suit. A CTA renewal memorandum was signed between both governments a few weeks ago.
GUWonder, Calchas and Badenoch like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Am I still allowed to use Fast Track passport control at LHR when I am using a US passport by myself? .
Currently you can use FT in LHR T3 and T5, though I can't think of a single good reason for doing this. Queue length for the machines tend to be counted in few seconds than Fast Track counted in minutes.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by AStarr
Exactly. I'm on a Tier 4 Visa. I cannot enter as a visitor. I've been using the e-gates without issue as my RT account is linked to my passport+BRP. Without that link, I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I'll undoubtedly find out soon enough in person though.
T4s/GSVs can use the e-gates unless other complexities apply, the computer is counting your visits....

You should keep your own records however, not least in case you find yourself in the future contemplating indefinite leave to remain or citizenship.
AStarr likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Currently you can use FT in LHR T3 and T5, though I can't think of a single good reason for doing this. Queue length for the machines tend to be counted in few seconds than Fast Track counted in minutes.
The wait time to get to an egate machine and clear it at T3 and at T5 is at times longer than the time to wait and clear manually via Fast Track. That is as good a reason as any to want to continue to do what I've been doing often enough for my benefit: making a choice about which way to go, to save myself time, even as I've been able to use the egates, when I want, courtesy of RT membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.