Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, they have access to databases to frustrate use of some passports issued to nationals of countries whose passports can often use the egates/ABC kiosks in the EU/Schengen areas. Even flagged passports of EU nationals can be inhibited from being accepted for egate entry at LHR. And that is why I have a very strong suspicion that the UK too will sometimes engage in stopping and questioning some US passport users using the egates.
I think there are (at least) two categories that could result in some examination beyond the egate.

The first would be someone whose passport is in a database - criminal record, wanted, etc. Presumably the egate would block use by those folks and they would be directed to a Border Force agent.

Not sure how the more discretionary examination would work with the egates. For example, from what I've read here and from the experience of the children of friends a consistent red flag is the American student who spends a year on a student visa in the UK, goes on a tour of Europe, and comes back to the UK with the intent of staying a few days or a week before returning to the US. The presumption seems to be that they are coming back to the UK to live, and they get a rigorous examination. They are selected now from the questioning that comes from the direct contact with the officer which would not happen with egates. So is the examination of Americans now going to be less rigorous?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's the same for my UK issued passport. Works maybe 50% of the time.
Mine (UK) has worked 100% of the time which absolutely astounds me. Naturally that is the kiss of death for my next trip.

The one thing I don't understand is why they don't have more open.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:00 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Mine (UK) has worked 100% of the time which absolutely astounds me. Naturally that is the kiss of death for my next trip.

The one thing I don't understand is why they don't have more open.
Mine worked intermittently until I had a word with the fuzz, and now it works 100% of the time.

It has been claimed on FT that one human officer is needed to monitor 5 egates, so if there aren't enough officers available not all gates will be opened.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:08 am
Suspended

Any update as to when this will be in effect? I'm visiting the UK in June
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1
Any update as to when this will be in effect? I'm visiting the UK in June
June
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Woot! Great news. UK is also getting rid of landing cards for all passengers.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by herzmeh
June
Is there a specific date? I'll actually go in and out of the UK three times in June so it would be great being able to use those gates and not have to fill a landing card each time.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:02 pm

Is there a specific date? I'll actually go in and out of the UK three times in June so it would be great being able to use those gates and not have to fill a landing card each time.
But if all the US visitors can use the gates - they won't be as fast.

I vote to keep the Americans out of the gates.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer

This is a concern I have had as well, and I'm an American who paid for Registered Traveller. On my last trip through Rome in January, though, they had something similar in effect, and it seemed to work just fine. I think Fiumicino had more e-gates than what I saw at T5 when I was through there yesterday, but I suspect additional e-gates are coming for T5 as well. Nevertheless, it was nice to bypass the long line of my countrymen waiting to get processed and then be through the gates in about 30 seconds. That and Fast Track were great. And then I hit the security screening. Oh well, into each life some rain must fall. . .
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This is a concern I have had as well, and I'm an American who paid for Registered Traveller. On my last trip through Rome in January, though, they had something similar in effect, and it seemed to work just fine. I think Fiumicino had more e-gates than what I saw at T5 when I was through there yesterday, but I suspect additional e-gates are coming for T5 as well. Nevertheless, it was nice to bypass the long line of my countrymen waiting to get processed and then be through the gates in about 30 seconds. That and Fast Track were great. And then I hit the security screening. Oh well, into each life some rain must fall. . .
Did Rome allow Americans through the egates on entering or just when leaving (you mentioned security, so I assumed you were describing your experience leaving the country.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I don't consider June 2019 to be good news for me as a US passport user at LHR. I have concerns that this may frustrate my ability to use Fast Track passport control at LHR T5 except when I am in the company of certain people not eligible for e-gate use there.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did Rome allow Americans through the egates on entering or just when leaving (you mentioned security, so I assumed you were describing your experience leaving the country.
On entering at FCO and using the egates as a US passport user, they still send US passport users to border control to make the the entry decision and stamp.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
This was entering the country. Similar to the e-gates at Heathrow but with many more stations. I just put my passport in the reader, got my photograph taken, and was allowed through with an extremely quick processing and stamp by a border guard. That was my fifth trip to Italy through Rome and easily the fastest processing I've ever had. My trip through Heathrow was my fastest as well, but then I hit the security line as I was heading to Dublin as the final destination so went through the UK/Ireland connections zone. If London had been my final destination on this trip, it would have worked exactly as my Rome trip in January did.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is no specific date. I actually don't think it will be announced much in advance if at all so you'll just have to be patient.

I see them starting this on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon after the morning bank of arrivals from the US when it is quieter at immigration.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the registered traveler thing and it expired in March. They have not sent me a renewal notice like they always used to.

So I went to the registered traveler website, this page:https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller/eligibility and it NO LONGER lists the US as being eligible!

I hope it's because of this program! Anyhow, I'll find out in June when I enter the country at T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.